Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge approves $26 billion merger of T-Mobile and Sprint

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    I was referring to more about interoperability with Verizon and AT&T nationwide. Customers have commented on not seeing this. https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...y-with-Verizon https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...T-mobile-users
    Am I the only one whose reaction to "HD Voice" is "Meh"? I guess I'm the only one here who remembers half-rate CODECs and CDMA that sounded like two tin cans and a waxed string.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Customers of ATT and Verizon had a dog in this fight, as the merger will provide much stiffer competition to those networks and improve them as a result.

T-Mobile and Sprint customers had a dog in the fight as both get much better networks due to this.

Now, who is left over? US Cellular and Bug Tussel customers who won't have a dog in the fight ???
    MVNO customers had a dog in this fight. I suspect most of the MVNOs will start dropping like flies (or adjusting rates upward) as their current contracts expire, and they are facing renegotiating with the Unholy Trinity. Most MVNO rates were set to compete against Sprint's low rates (and many MVNOs used Sprint's discount wholesale service). The New T-Mo won't need those hangers-on when they've got their own (very limited) $15 and $25 plans to supposedly cover those price points in the market.

But here's a fun game we can play:

Let's note what's the best price we can get unlimited talk, text, and at least 10GB of data per line for today for one line and for a family of four on a major network (let's limit is to top 3 carriers- we'll leave Sprint out of this since they'll be gone soon enough.)

Then, we'll meet back here in two years, and see what improvement all this "competition" created today has made.

Top of my head? Best deal for one line goes to Visible- unlimited talk, text and data on Verizon LTE with the "party plan" for $25/month.

Four lines? Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO) with unlimited T&T plus 100GB shared LTE for $95.

Am I missing any cheaper deals?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    For me I find the value (the cheap to super cheap plans) in the fringe MVNOs. MVNOs that 99/100 outside of Hofo have never heard of. I expect those plans to significantly jump in price 35%+ once their current carrier contracts expire if they survive at all. I expect Tello, Good2Go, Pix, Expo, SpeedTalk, Boom, Ting, Twigby, Hello, & others to be crushed. And the race to the bottom price wise which has been awesome the last 3 years to be over for a long, long time. Mind blowing not even thought of today tech disrupter innovation excepted.

Maybe as promised the FCC will protect some low cost plans. I won't hold my breath. Certainly not the fringe MVNOs where the value is for me & may I humbly say my fellow thrifty Hofo'ers.
    Perhaps, but you're forgetting the awesome game-changing power of 5G, which is at least 1G better than 4G. Finally we'll be able to buzzword a new paradigm by buzzwording buzzwords we've never thought possible before. And the children. Don't forget the children...

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Yeah he saw through all the fluff and smoke and vapor to see the reality of the situation. This is very good and I hope it sets a precedent when things like this happen elsewhere.
    Agreed. I look forward to the eventual merger of New T-Mo, Verizon and AT&T into one mother of a wireless carrier, rather than the three spectrally wasteful and resource redundant individual carriers we're saddled with now. I've even got a suggestion for a name they can use: Ma Bell Wireless...

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    And yet my T-Mobile plan hasn't dropped in price yet. Failure
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Am I the only one whose reaction to "HD Voice" is "Meh"?
    Yup. There’s a right way to implement HD Voice and there’s a wrong way. Super-wideband and Fullband EVS can sound amazing when done right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    There was a old article about this when this merger started. It said that after the merger the New T-Mobile would have 110,000 towers and would reduce that to about 85,000 after the customers migration which is similar to the Towers that either AT&T or Verizon had at the time. The same article said T-Mobile would be adding about 50,000 small cells. I will look for the article.

Found the 2018 article but this was before the Dish concession. Above was just my memory of the old plan so if I quoted a wrong number above this was the original document. https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...ll-suffer-most
    hope they keep the one by me. closest sprint tower is maybe a mile away. closest tmobile is 4-5 miles away

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Yup. There’s a right way to implement HD Voice and there’s a wrong way. Super-wideband and Fullband EVS can sound amazing when done right.
    OK, that's fine but how much time do we spend listening to La bohème over a phone call? Is HD voice in stereo? How much call quality is enough?

One seldom-mentioned benefits for the poor to come out of this merger is that high-speed, low-cost Internet service from MobileCitizen.org will become much more available and viable than it ever was running on Sprint's network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    MVNO customers had a dog in this fight. I suspect most of the MVNOs will start dropping like flies (or adjusting rates upward) as their current contracts expire, and they are facing renegotiating with the Unholy Trinity. Most MVNO rates were set to compete against Sprint's low rates (and many MVNOs used Sprint's discount wholesale service). The New T-Mo won't need those hangers-on when they've got their own (very limited) $15 and $25 plans to supposedly cover those price points in the market...
    Yup at least 1/2 the current MVNOs will be dust. Oh don't forget to add $10 taxes & fees per line to those $15 plans.

...But here's a fun game we can play:

Let's note what's the best price we can get unlimited talk, text, and at least 10GB of data per line for today for one line and for a family of four on a major network (let's limit is to top 3 carriers- we'll leave Sprint out of this since they'll be gone soon enough.)

Then, we'll meet back here in two years, and see what improvement all this "competition" created today has made.

Top of my head? Best deal for one line goes to Visible- unlimited talk, text and data on Verizon LTE with the "party plan" for $25/month.

Four lines? Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO) with unlimited T&T plus 100GB shared LTE for $95.

Am I missing any cheaper deals?
    I'll play. I say in 2 years UTT 10GB $45 single line & 4 lines for $150.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    The New T-Mo won't need those hangers-on when they've got their own (very limited) $15 and $25 plans to supposedly cover those price points in the market.
    Well the regulators should have thought of that before they accepted T-Mobile's concession. So T-Mobile will offer low prices that will make it harder for MVNO's to compete. If the state AG's hadn't forced the issue, T-Mobile wouldn't have done that.

Great, I bookmarked the post and set a calendar reminder for two years. I think we'll see then that the world hasn't collapsed and people are still get cellular service at an affordable price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Am I the only one whose reaction to "HD Voice" is "Meh"? I guess I'm the only one here who remembers half-rate CODECs and CDMA that sounded like two tin cans and a waxed string.
    Haha, Meh, yeah. I kind of prefer the old, horrible sound quality of cell calls. It discourages people from trying to engage me in long chit chat conversations. ;~>

I do understand that other people have other needs and preferences.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Well the regulators should have thought of that before they accepted T-Mobile's concession. So T-Mobile will offer low prices that will make it harder for MVNO's to compete. If the state AG's hadn't forced the issue, T-Mobile wouldn't have done that...
    That's not it. TM won't offer anywhere near the rates they've offered MVNOs in the past.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    That's not it. TM won't offer anywhere near the rates they've offered MVNOs in the past.
    Right, but T-Mo's new $15 and $25 plans (guaranteed for three whole years!) will act as a smokescreen, hiding the loss of competitive, affordable MVNO plans long enough that most of us will have forgotten why rates have crept up...

Device(s)
    samsung sgh-t619
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can't wait for all that Spectrum!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Agreed. I look forward to the eventual merger of New T-Mo, Verizon and AT&T into one mother of a wireless carrier, rather than the three spectrally wasteful and resource redundant individual carriers we're saddled with now. I've even got a suggestion for a name they can use: Ma Bell Wireless...

At which point they mandate connecting all handset to the network by wires, which will lead to the next name change after that.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast