Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Plans Features Post-Merger

Feedback Score

Sprint Plans Features Post-Merger

I for one have been pretty happy with Sprint the past years. Especially their international roaming (unlimited high speed data), 100GB hotspot allotment to name a few, are features I would hate to see go away post merger. I just cannot imagine T not trying to replace Sprint’s plans with their offerings which I feel are substantially worse.

I understand that plans won’t change overnight, but what are the features you would hate to see possibly not being grandfathered in for good by the New TM?

Also, what do you believe are the chances they would just grandfather us in for good, possibly not offering us promotional deals down the road if not willing to switch to a then current New TM plan?

Feedback Score
    I don't see TMO honoring any Sprint customer accounts more than short term. They only wanted the spectrum to expand their own network, and will shut the Sprint network ASAP. Sprint says only 50% of their user's phones will be able to run on TMO. It's the end result of being an odd network.

Feedback Score
    TMobile historically has been good about grandfathering in old plans. What that means for the future who knows, but, their past suggests that they will honor all Sprint plans long term. Now, what they will do though, is when they do things like add a line free, or buy one get one, or any promo like that. They make the old grandfathered in plans ineligible for their promos to entice users to switch off those legacy plans, but, they historically haven't forced anyone off plans. People are still rocking the old tzones data plans on tmobile.

Feedback Score
    In addition, Prime and Tidal are perks that I would hate to lose. What are the chances T would keep these perks alive as part of my plan?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepaidforever View Post
    In addition, Prime and Tidal are perks that I would hate to lose. What are the chances T would keep these perks alive as part of my plan?
    Prime likely will stay in, at least as a grandfathered feature. They already give Prime with some Metro accounts, so no new partnership would be needed. I could see Tidal being phased out, though, along with Hulu being replaced by Netflix at some point in the future.
    Sprint Kickstart plan ($15/mo.):

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I grabbed the premium plan to play with and i've been impressed so far. Sprint has put a lot of work in these last two years.

I'm going to hang onto this in hopes of getting it grandfathered long term, as the 100GB of hotspot alone makes it a perfect plan for me.

Also, anything iPhone 6 and up are fully T-Mobile compatible (including VoLTE), anything Samsung S6 and up would just require a software update as all the Sprint models have Band 12 LTE in the chipset just disabled by software, and are VoLTE compatible.

iPhone and Samsung are quite a bit of Sprint's base. If they just do a mass unlock and software update, most would just need a SIM swap, the rest just swap into a cheap-o Revvlry until they upgrade as those are most likely old devices anyway
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    It wasn't until the 6s/6s+ that the iPhone got band 12. And, of course, the Xs/Xr/Xs Max that it got band 71.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    It wasn't until the 6s/6s+ that the iPhone got band 12. And, of course, the Xs/Xr/Xs Max that it got band 71.
    That's correct.. but as far as "mostly" compatible the 6 and on does VoLTE and will be fairly identical to the service they're used too now (sans 800MHz voice for the 6)

The current Sprint setup is only using 5x5MHz in 800Mhz for lowband LTE and a 1.25Mhz carrier for CDMA, 6s-up will be totally similar to what Sprint customers are already accustomed too, 6 will have slightly less coverage but does VoLTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    That's correct.. but as far as "mostly" compatible the 6 and on does VoLTE and will be fairly identical to the service they're used too now (sans 800MHz voice for the 6)

The current Sprint setup is only using 5x5MHz in 800Mhz for lowband LTE and a 1.25Mhz carrier for CDMA, 6s-up will be totally similar to what Sprint customers are already accustomed too, 6 will have slightly less coverage but does VoLTE
    Ehhh this is debatable. The 6 does 800 on Sprint but will not do 700 on TMobile. While 800 doesn't provide great speeds, it does provide some coverage indoors, with a 6 on TMobile you have zero low band support. Sprints 800 is going to dish, so it will not be used on the new TMobile network.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Ehhh this is debatable. The 6 does 800 on Sprint but will not do 700 on TMobile. While 800 doesn't provide great speeds, it does provide some coverage indoors, with a 6 on TMobile you have zero low band support. Sprints 800 is going to dish, so it will not be used on the new TMobile network.
    Exactly why I said "The 6 will have slightly less coverage, but DOES support VoLTE"

Someone carrying a phone that's not even supported by apple anymore, should know there *are* going to be limitations, and not to mention the mounds of refurb/used 6s around. T-Mobile could swap their phone no problem and loose little to no money on it.

Feedback Score

Hmmm...I look forward to T-Mobile Tuesday’s.
    I am on the Basic Unlimited Business plan and I expect from past experience I will be able to get something similar cost wise from T-Mobile. It might take some negotiating though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I don't see TMO honoring any Sprint customer accounts more than short term. They only wanted the spectrum to expand their own network, and will shut the Sprint network ASAP. Sprint says only 50% of their user's phones will be able to run on TMO. It's the end result of being an odd network.
    Yes I am tending to believe T-Mobile will choose the best Sprint tower locations and repurpose them for T-Mobile.
    They will then sell off any overlapping towers...

I do not see them doing a lot of integration where the two networks meld into one. The Sprint Network will be shut down after users are migrated off and the best towers converted.

I hope I am wrong and Sprint Software updates all their towers to work with T-Mobile but I doubt it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Yes I am tending to believe T-Mobile will choose the best Sprint tower locations and repurpose them for T-Mobile.
    They will then sell off any overlapping towers...

I do not see them doing a lot of integration where the two networks meld into one. The Sprint Network will be shut down after users are migrated off and the best towers converted.

I hope I am wrong and Sprint Software updates all their towers to work with T-Mobile but I doubt it.

Sprint - at least in my city has a very dense small cell buildout that totally blankets the city with 2.5GHz outdoors, and even indoors for small/medium buildings.

T-Mobile on the other hand has a lot of weak indoor spots. T-Mobile would be stupid to give any of the recently installed small cell areas up, and coincidently T-Mobile is generally weak in places Sprint beefed it up over the last few years... coincidently?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Sprint - at least in my city has a very dense small cell buildout that totally blankets the city with 2.5GHz outdoors, and even indoors for small/medium buildings.

T-Mobile on the other hand has a lot of weak indoor spots. T-Mobile would be stupid to give any of the recently installed small cell areas up, and coincidently T-Mobile is generally weak in places Sprint beefed it up over the last few years... coincidently?
    I wonder for instance if a call hand-off from band 4 or 66 to Sprint’s band 41 since Sprint uses FDD and HPUE.
    I could see a data call being no big deal as there would just be a minor disruption, but voice handoff could be a challenge.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure B41 will CA with Band 2 at times, as i've been dropped to Band 2 and Band 25 LTE while on a call and it's not dropped.

So, i'm thinking it will not be an issue. I seem to drop to PCS LTE on calls when 2.5GHz upstream gets congested. I can usually tell on my iPhone as i'll get 10+Mbps upload when it happens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast