Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Plans Features Post-Merger

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I'm pretty sure B41 will CA with Band 2 at times, as i've been dropped to Band 2 and Band 25 LTE while on a call and it's not dropped.

So, i'm thinking it will not be an issue. I seem to drop to PCS LTE on calls when 2.5GHz upstream gets congested. I can usually tell on my iPhone as i'll get 10+Mbps upload when it happens.
    So let’s say Sprint has added Network Vision style antennas to a tower...couldn’t those be software upgradeable to become T-Mobile Antennas? How about the base station, could that be re-programmed for T-Mobile as well?

Or maybe the Antennas could have the needed frequencies added? I wonder how much load that would create for a cell site to support the bands of two carriers simultaneously?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Sprint Plans Features Post-Merger

Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Exactly why I said "The 6 will have slightly less coverage, but DOES support VoLTE"

Someone carrying a phone that's not even supported by apple anymore, should know there *are* going to be limitations, and not to mention the mounds of refurb/used 6s around. T-Mobile could swap their phone no problem and loose little to no money on it.
    Having absolutely zero low band support on TMobile isn't really "slightly less coverage". T-Mobile could do a lot of things and loose little money doing it, doesn’t mean they will. The 6 is still supported by apple with security updates,It’s not getting whole new o.s. updates. They just released 12.4.5 for the 6 at the end of last month.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 02-15-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Having absolutely zero low band support on TMobile isn't really "slightly less coverage". T-Mobile could do a lot of things and loose little money doing it, doesn’t mean they will. The 6 is still supported by apple with security updates,It’s not getting whole new o.s. updates. They just released 12.4.5 for the 6 at the end of last month.
    It is? I think it is VERY rare that Apple has gone back to an old OS to provide updates.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Feedback Score
    Here’s an article about the strategies of the new company. https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...r-new-t-mobile
    Job 1 will be honing the logistics, marketing and communications plan for Sprint’s ~40 million customers, about 8 million of whom are prepaid and will transfer to Dish. This is going to be a complicated juggling act. Owing to the MetroPCS and other acquisitions, T-Mobile has good experience transferring customers from a price plan/systems/billing perspective. But the more complex element here will be the historically incompatible networks and phones. T-Mobile will have to absorb some of the costs of right-phoning the Sprint customers whose devices will not work on T-Mobile’s network. There’s also the millions of Sprint customers who have newer, and more compatible phones that will work, but not optimally so, on TMO’s network, for example the fact that they don’t support 600 MHz. Any mis-steps by T-Mobile in this transition will provide opportunities for Verizon and AT&T to poach customers, much as TMO did to Sprint during the Nextel debacle.
    Job 2 will be determining the near-term network priorities. The lowest hanging fruit will be accelerating the 2.5 GHz buildout for 5G and bringing it into the T-Mobile fold. This is where New T-Mobile’s secret 5G sauce will be: complementing the 600 MHz coverage with the performance capabilities of 2.5 GHz. As the 2.5 GHz rollout gets to more of a critical mass over the next 12-18 months, TMO will be presented with yet another tricky marketing and financial dynamic: incentivizing customers to switch to phones that work in all the T-Mobile Plus Sprint spectrum bands.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    It is? I think it is VERY rare that Apple has gone back to an old OS to provide updates.
    12.4.5 just came out for older devices Jan 20th. Came out the same day as 13.3.1.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Or maybe the Antennas could have the needed frequencies added? I wonder how much load that would create for a cell site to support the bands of two carriers simultaneously?
    Not unusual for towers to have more than one carrier. They are often leased anyway. Should be easier when all 3G is shut down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Not unusual for towers to have more than one carrier. They are often leased anyway. Should be easier when all 3G is shut down.
    I think you will notice though that usually each carrier is on a separate rack with separate cables running to it and separate base stations.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    12.4.5 just came out for older devices Jan 20th. Came out the same day as 13.3.1.
    Good to know. I guess since I don't currently have any phones that don't run 13, I miss these updates. And they don't seem to be published as broadly as the 13 updates.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So let’s say Sprint has added Network Vision style antennas to a tower...couldn’t those be software upgradeable to become T-Mobile Antennas? How about the base station, could that be re-programmed for T-Mobile as well?

NV antennas/base stations are software defined, so it would not be too hard to alter them into even T-Mobile sites as long as the installed panels will support the required frequencies.

That was actually one of the "benefits" sprint used to go on and on about when they first started the NV upgrades.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Having been with Sprint now for 20 continuous years currently with a iPhone 6, iPhone 8, iPhone X and iPhone 11, I hope that we can stay with our current unlimited plans, et al.

I may jump to a iPhone 12 (2020) or iPhone xx (2021) and drop the iPhone 6. Nothing is compelling an upgrade yet and a bit too much uncertainty and new technologies. Patience will be my guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Yes I am tending to believe T-Mobile will choose the best Sprint tower locations and repurpose them for T-Mobile.
    They will then sell off any overlapping towers...

I wonder how close towers have to be to be considered overlapping? For example I have a sprint tower about a mile away, but the closest tmobile tower is about 5 miles away.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I wonder how close towers have to be to be considered overlapping? For example I have a sprint tower about a mile away, but the closest tmobile tower is about 5 miles away.
    Is the t-mobile signal good? Any mountains or high density population centers nearby?

I am thinking a tower every 5 miles would give great service and would be in T-Mobile’s interest to keep your tower.

I hope the only place they decommission is where the signal pattern (Imagine a long oblong semicircle...or lobe) overlaps with another lobe in an area of high power, but they will probably also look at geography and number of subscribers.

P.S. Never did figure out why Sprint removed so many Nextel towers, only to need to density their coverage later.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is the t-mobile signal good? Any mountains or high density population centers nearby?

I am thinking a tower every 5 miles would give great service and would be in T-Mobile’s interest to keep your tower.

I hope the only place they decommission is where the signal pattern (Imagine a long oblong semicircle...or lobe) overlaps with another lobe in an area of high power, but they will probably also look at geography and number of subscribers.

P.S. Never did figure out why Sprint removed so many Nextel towers, only to need to density their coverage later.

Sprint was broke, and it was a way to save money in the meantime - it was just kicking the can down the road to save a few bucks

It's still rare and an officially EOL device for Apple. It's time for those people to upgrade, or loose some coverage. Cant keep CDMA up for those stragglers forever

Feedback Score
    Been getting Sprint ads in my email (Yahoo Mail) lately. Why would they be soliciting customers at this late date?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Been getting Sprint ads in my email (Yahoo Mail) lately. Why would they be soliciting customers at this late date?
    Gaining subscribers is a good thing. Yes I saw some good deals on their site as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast