Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Lowband 5G New Radio Expanding to 95 New Cities and Towns

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,236
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Lowband 5G New Radio Expanding to 95 New Cities and Towns

    Just a little news improving on T-Mobiles 5G coverage dominance here in the US.

    I’m happy with Magenta’s coverage-layer-first approach with NR. I could be wrong but I feel this will help ensure network ubiquity and uniformity on a national scale when new features become available such as VoNR.

    As always I’m looking forward to experiencing a greater mmWave and midband NR experience as they come.


    https://www.tmonews.com/2020/02/t-mo...ing-95-cities/
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    641
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Just a little news improving on T-Mobiles 5G coverage dominance here in the US.

    I’m happy with Magenta’s coverage-layer-first approach with NR. I could be wrong but I feel this will help ensure network ubiquity and uniformity on a national scale when new features become available such as VoNR.

    As always I’m looking forward to experiencing a greater mmWave and midband NR experience as they come.


    https://www.tmonews.com/2020/02/t-mo...ing-95-cities/
    Lower band 5G is a joke.
    Less than 1/3 speed than existing LTE-A

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,748
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Lower band 5G is a joke.
    Less than 1/3 speed than existing LTE-A

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Funny. We used to say the same thing about LTE vs. HSDPA+...

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    641
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Funny. We used to say the same thing about LTE vs. HSDPA+...

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    The real facts.
    I have 5G signal only speed is around 30Mpbs vs. LTE over 100Mpbs

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,580
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Lower band 5G is a joke.
    Less than 1/3 speed than existing LTE-A
    All the more reason not to rush to buy a 5G phone. Samsung would like to sell us a S20 for $1,000. I have better things to do with $1,000.

    It is very early days for 5G. I expect it will be several years before there is a compelling reason for me to want a 5G phone. LTE works fine now and I expect it will continue for several years. Unless things change, faster 5G speed won't be the compelling reason for me. What can't I do at 3 Mbps or slightly more?*

    *Yes, I know I can't stream 4K video at 3 Mbps. Don't care. I'm never going to stream 4K video on my phone.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,731
    Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    The real facts.
    I have 5G signal only speed is around 30Mpbs vs. LTE over 100Mpbs

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    The use of the term 5G is meant to imply incredible speeds so basically this is Legere type marketing.

    Sans mmwave which will take years to build out in metro areas 5G is just a marketing phrase.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,658
    Feedback Score
    0

    Technical details

    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    The real facts.
    I have 5G signal only speed is around 30Mpbs vs. LTE over 100Mpbs
    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Well... It's not that simple, any debug screens to show what's going on? Band, channel width, etc?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,710
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    The real facts.
    I have 5G signal only speed is around 30Mpbs vs. LTE over 100Mpbs

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    This is ridiculous assumption of speed claiming LTE is faster than 5G. T-Mobile Low Band 5G is currently limited to bandwidth of only 5x5 MHz since it is point less to add more 5G bandwidth when there are only a few thousand 5G low band phones on T-Mobile. 5G is anywhere between 15% to 25% faster than LTE with similar bandwidth size. Bandwidth is the only reason that LTE with much larger bandwidth can even beat the faster 5G air interface. BTW, T-Mobile also has mmWave 5G in 7 or 8 cities. However 5G mmWave and 5G Low Band doesn’t work together at this point even if anyone had a phone that could do it. A few of the new S20 will be the first 5G phone in the USA that supports both low band and mmWave 5G that will be out soon.

    This is a marketing plan by T-Mobile to justify customers buying 5G phones when the come out after the Mobile World Congress show in Spain at the end of February. This is the Chicken vs the Egg situation where the network has to deploy 5G before anyone can justify buying a 5G phone to use it for 5G. When Stand-alone 5G is completed ( Target March 2020) and at some point deployed With Dynamic Spectrum Sharing and Network Slicing then T-Mobile will have the ability to make the same spectrum deliver both 5G and Advanced LTE from the identical spectrum blocks using all their low band spectrum for speed.

    BTW, why don’t you go attack the AT&T’s board since they copied T-Mobile strategy of releasing 5G on their low band on the limited 850 MHz in about a dozen cities. If this was a real issue then all these People that spend their time here attacking T-Mobile would be be attacking AT&T for doing the same thing on their limited bandwidth 850 MHz spectrum.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-13-2020 at 06:48 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,731
    Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Well... It's not that simple, any debug screens to show what's going on? Band, channel width, etc?
    It's as simple as the fact that Tmobile dedicated x amount of their band 71 to 5G and they don't have that much of it to begin with, in total around 30mhz. Tmobile decided not to wait for DSS and dedicated some band 71 to 5g in order to say they have nationwide 5G.

    Verizon is getting near 2 gb 5G download speeds (almost no where) because where they do have 5G built out their using about 800mhz of spectrum (with more than 2 ghz available). So the speed is coming more from the amount of spectrum being used rather than the spec. The spec gains lower latency and somewhat higher speeds on low band and mid band like band 41 but it is not a miracle.

    When the merger is complete and Tmobile is pumping out 5G across all their spectrum using DSS their speeds will be faster than what is available now using LTE. It won't be mmwave fast because the gross spectrum is still a lot lower but it will be very fast and it'll be where ever they have towers. Tmobile will be using mmwave in metro areas also for faster speeds.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,710
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    It's as simple as the fact that Tmobile dedicated x amount of their band 71 to 5G and they don't have that much of it to begin with, in total around 30mhz. Tmobile decided not to wait for DSS and dedicated some band 71 to 5g in order to say they have nationwide 5G.

    Verizon is getting near 2 gb 5G download speeds (almost no where) because where they do have 5G built out their using about 800mhz of spectrum (with more than 2 ghz available). So the speed is coming more from the amount of spectrum being used rather than the spec. The spec gains lower latency and somewhat higher speeds on low band and mid band like band 41 but it is not a miracle.

    When the merger is complete and Tmobile is pumping out 5G across all their spectrum using DSS their speeds will be faster than what is available now using LTE. It won't be mmwave fast because the gross spectrum is still a lot lower but it will be very fast and it'll be where ever they have towers. Tmobile will be using mmwave in metro areas also for faster speeds.
    More ridiculous statements about 5G. Both AT&T and T-Mobile each have mmWave and Low Ban 5G today. Those support the fast, short-range millimeter-wave (mmWave) networks found in 35 cities on AT&T, 34 on Verizon, and seven on T-Mobile. Currently Verizon is limited to only mmWave in a few section in a couple of dozen cities downtown area. The Samsung S20 will be the first phone that is about to be released will support both mmWave and low band 5G spectrum. T-Mobile has 5G in more places than AT&T by millions of Americans. In fact Sprint has 5G on its Band 41 that T-Mobile will own that will work with together with carrier aggregation that will deliver much faster 5G nationwide.

    T-Mobile, AT&T Rev Up Low-Band 5G for Samsung Galaxy S20 Launch https://www.pcmag.com/news/t-mobile-...for-galaxy-s20

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,710
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    BTW, T-Mobile installed their mmWave 5G in Miami for the Super Bowl and the test showed Verizon #1 ( mmWave), T-Mobile #2 ( mmWave) Sprint #3 ( Band 41) and coming in dead last is the biggest loser #4 AT&T (mmWave). Just wait till T-Mobile gets their hand on Sprint’s Band 41 that can be added to T-Mobile’s low band that will work in your home, work building, indoor restaurant or even outside if it is raining unlike mmWave.

    “ Ahead of Super Bowl LIV, T-Mobile amped its 5G in Miami, adding millimeter wave to its low-band 5G, and rolled out permanent network improvements across the city to get ready for the big game. “ https://www.t-mobile.com/news/miami-super-bowl-network

    Super Bowl 5G Speed test and rankings of all four networks https://youtu.be/khBt_b5wzFM
    Last edited by shilohcane; 02-13-2020 at 06:50 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,748
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    BTW, T-Mobile installed their mmWave 5G in Miami for the Super Bowl and the test showed Verizon #1 ( mmWave), T-Mobile #2 ( mmWave) Sprint #3 ( Band 41) and coming in dead last is the biggest loser #4 AT&T (mmWave). Just wait till T-Mobile gets their hand on Sprint’s Band 41 that can be added to T-Mobile’s low band that will work in your home, work building, indoor restaurant or even outside if it is raining unlike mmWave.

    Ahead of Super Bowl LIV, T-Mobile amped its 5G in Miami, adding millimeter wave to its low-band 5G, and rolled out permanent network improvements across the city to get ready for the big game. https://www.t-mobile.com/news/miami-super-bowl-network

    Super Bowl 5G Speed test and rankings of all four networks https://youtu.be/khBt_b5wzFM
    Great. So to guarantee good wireless service regardless of what carrier we use, we all just have to move to whatever city hosts the super bowl...



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,942
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This is ridiculous assumption of speed claiming LTE is faster than 5G. T-Mobile Low Band 5G is currently limited to bandwidth of only 5x5 MHz since it is point less to add more 5G bandwidth when there are only a few thousand 5G low band phones on T-Mobile.
    All T-Mobile 5G rollouts have been 10x10 where spectrum licenses allow. They’ve shaved 5x5 for LTE, not NR.



    5G is anywhere between 15% to 25% faster than LTE with similar bandwidth size.
    No.





    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)


    Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14,978
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The Samsung S20 will be the first phone that is about to be released will support both mmWave and low band 5G spectrum.
    And just to clarify, only the S20 plus and S20 ultra will have both. mmWave is not available on the base S20. See my recently created thread here regarding this:

    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...obile-5G-bands

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,710
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Great. So to guarantee good wireless service regardless of what carrier we use, we all just have to move to whatever city hosts the super bowl...



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Well if you accidentally read the links you would see that T-Mobile has 7 or 8 cities with mmWave 5G. Also, if you ever read about T-Mobile 5G mmWave that it was first deployment was in June 2019. BTW, please tell me when Las Vegas got a Super Bowl? Left you a link so you can better find those mmWave area that I still think are useless except for running static Speedtest so you don’t have to go to a Super Bowl cities.

    “ T-Mobile US today announced it will use millimeter wave spectrum to offer up 5G services in parts of six cities beginning on June 28 to correspond with sales of the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G. The company published detailed coverage maps showing where subscribers in Atlanta, Cleveland, Dallas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and New York can expect a 5G signal.” . https://www.rcrwireless.com/20190625...imeter-wave-5g

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Netflix has expanded to 6 new countries today.
    By Jacob4 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2014, 12:18 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM
  3. wtb: brand new or close to brand new cell
    By dk-22 in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 06:52 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2006, 08:42 PM
  5. 1st commercial radio chip to support both 2G AMPS/TDMA/GSM & 2.5G GPRS/EDGE
    By amphibian in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2003, 10:01 PM

Bookmarks