Thread: Brand new VZ S10, can it be used on the xFinity? or does it need to be unlocked?

Feedback Score

Brand new VZ S10, can it be used on the xFinity? or does it need to be unlocked?

If i was to get an eligible for upgrade S10 handset off my VZ account, can i use that handset and take it to xFinity Bring Your Own Device ? Will it be carrier locked ? I have the 2yr contract, so basically can get a VZ S10 for about $350. My plan is to continue using the existing iphone that's already on that VZ account. Basically is it locked, and even if was, wouldn't it still work on xFinity's MVNO ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoc46 View Post
    If i was to get an eligible for upgrade S10 handset off my VZ account, can i use that handset and take it to xFinity Bring Your Own Device ? Will it be carrier locked ? I have the 2yr contract, so basically can get a VZ S10 for about $350. My plan is to continue using the existing iphone that's already on that VZ account. Basically is it locked, and even if was, wouldn't it still work on xFinity's MVNO ?
    Check Xfinity mobile website and see.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Check Xfinity mobile website and see.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod

This is of no help. I know xfinity will take an S10. But i don't know if the phone that is coming from VZ will be unlocked.

Feedback Score
    This is of no help. I know xfinity will take an S10. But i don't know if the phone that is coming from VZ will be unlocked.
    https://youtu.be/7XK5dNUfFps

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    https://youtu.be/7XK5dNUfFps

I don't have the phone. I'm wanting to go out and buy the phone but ONLY if i can use it on the xFinity network. Sending me links to enter the IMEI number and links to a video on YT on how to tell if your phone is unlocked or not, is not what i'm asking.

I don't want to go and do the upgrade if i wont' be able to use it.

Feedback Score
    I don't have the phone. I'm wanting to go out and buy the phone but ONLY if i can use it on the xFinity network. Sending me links to enter the IMEI number and links to a video on YT on how to tell if your phone is unlocked or not, is not what i'm asking.

I don't want to go and do the upgrade if i wont' be able to use it.
    Oh in that case buy the unlocked model from Samsung or best buy

Feedback Score
    Yes, it must be unlocked.
    https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...other-carriers

But you can still potentially upgrade through Verizon first as long as you pay in full for the upgrade device. There may then be a waiting period (not sure, 60 days?) before VZW will process the unlock.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes, even if the phone is purchased at full price from Verizon, it won't be unlocked until after 60 days of active service. As long as that criteria is met, Verizon will automatically unlock the phone and should not have to call in to request the unlock.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Yes, even if the phone is purchased at full price from Verizon, it won't be unlocked until after 60 days of active service. As long as that criteria is met, Verizon will automatically unlock the phone and should not have to call in to request the unlock.
    Yes this is what i'm reading, however i did buy an VZ 11 Pro in dec, and i was able to put a total wireless sim right in and it worked right out of the box. So i think there's sometimes more to it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes this is what i'm reading, however i did buy an VZ 11 Pro in dec, and i was able to put a total wireless sim right in and it worked right out of the box. So i think there's sometimes more to it.
    I was only confirming the unlock policy for Verizon. I am glad you didn't have any problems, don't know why it worked as you described it.

Feedback Score
    Yes, it depends where and how you buy the device. If you buy it from Best Buy for example, often the devices are not locked until the first SIM card is installed. Then, depending on the carrier, the device will lock to that carrier.

I believe these consensus these days is that devices coming from VZW directly are all pre-locked (or locked b/c VZW installed the SIM card). This hadn't been the case up to a few years ago

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Yes, it depends where and how you buy the device. If you buy it from Best Buy for example, often the devices are not locked until the first SIM card is installed. Then, depending on the carrier, the device will lock to that carrier.

I believe these consensus these days is that devices coming from VZW directly are all pre-locked (or locked b/c VZW installed the SIM card). This hadn't been the case up to a few years ago
    I bought it right from a VZ store, and used a buddy upgrade on a different upgrade eligible line.. I didn't turn on the phone with the VZ pre-installed sim. Nope i took that right out and installed the MVNO sim. The first time that 11 Pro was switched on was with the MVNO sim installed. I guess i could try that again and see if it works. If not, then i guess i'll just have to wait the 60days.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking VZW's phones were unlocked; but, effective June 2019 they got FCC permission to lock phones for 60 days from date of purchase (from VZW) or date of activation (retail) to reduce theft. Although, I'm guessing really it's to discourage buying a discounted VZW phone to take straight to AT&T or T-Mo .