Thread: Tethering on RedPocket CDMAV?

Carrier(s)
    H20
    Feedback Score

Tethering on RedPocket CDMAV?

Wife needed internet to do work on her laptop while at kids basketball practice. I walked her through setting it up and had her turn it on. It worked fine for 20 minutes or so until she was done. Do they allow this or if you abuse it (constantly tethering) will they yank your data or anything? We're on the annual plan with 5GB. My wife maybe uses 1.5GB on average per month.

Feedback Score
    It is allowed on Red Pocket CDMA. Officially supported on iOS, but I don't think they stop anyone on Android from using it.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Not heard of any cases where anybody got reprimanded for tethering. For the most part, I think it falls under don't ask, don't tell.

Some mvnos like straight talk used to be very stingy and protective of their data. Don't know if they still operate like that.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Not heard of any cases where anybody got reprimanded for tethering. For the most part, I think it falls under don't ask, don't tell.

Some mvnos like straight talk used to be very stingy and protective of their data. Don't know if they still operate like that.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app
    Typically most carriers and MVNOs don't really care about tethering if you're account has a hard cap, the theory being you paid $X for Y GBs of data, so they're yours to use as you wish. (The OP apparently has a 5GB/month plan.)

It's a different story when you have an "unlimited" plan- meaning "unlimited" data on that device only. Sort of like how you can share your meal or bring home a doggie bag from a regular restaurant, but can't do either at an all-you-can-eat buffet!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    redpocket cdmav user here, you can tether on android phones. I've tethered a few times over the past two years

Feedback Score
    Tried to turn on native hotspot and bluetooth tethering functions in Galaxy S8 settings, but my phone won't allow it.
    So am searching for the best android tethering app.
    Which one are you using?

Feedback Score
    Add to previous post: I'm running android 7.0 non rooted (on RP CDMA V)

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tiburontucson View Post
    Add to previous post: I'm running android 7.0 non rooted (on RP CDMA V)
    Which carrier was the S8 sold for or was it a global or US unlocked version? Also surprised it's still on Android 7, the S8 recieved Android 8 a long time ago. While upgrading is unlikely to help with tethering it should enhance security and give you more features. I think 8 was the update that added the ability to use your fingerprint to login to many apps, including most banking apps.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Verizon version SM-G950U, unlocked US version, was only on Verizon about 2 months, then straight to MNVOs.
    The phone has not received any updates since purchase (Nov 2017). When I check for updates....says it's current.
    Any way to force any update? On RP now, if that matters.

Feedback Score
    Tried to turn on native hotspot and bluetooth tethering functions in Galaxy S8 settings, but my phone won't allow it.
    So am searching for the best android tethering app.
    Which one are you using?
    Sounds like you are using a carrier branded S8. The hotspot app on carrier branded phones does a check with the carrier when it starts to see if the plan is entitled to hotspot. RP plans are not.

The key to getting hotspotting to work is to use a phone that is not carrier branded or pay for a plan that is entitled. Hotspotting works fine with my generic Moto G6 on Tracfone-Verizon. The hotspot app does not do an entitlement check.

Non-root hotspotting apps generally don't work anymore. Foxfi used to work for some phones, but newer phones in general have gotten locked down so that Foxfi won't work.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Verizon version SM-G950U, unlocked US version, was only on Verizon about 2 months, then straight to MNVOs.
    The phone has not received any updates since purchase (Nov 2017). When I check for updates....says it's current.
    Any way to force any update? On RP now, if that matters.
    SM-950U is the US carrier version. SM-950U1 is the factory unlocked one. If you do a web search for your firmware's full build number you should be able to determine which carrier yours is for. To get updates you might need to insert an active SIM for the carrier that matches your version.

There are ways to manually flash the latest firmware but I don't recommending doing it unless you are somewhat experienced with flashing. If you are, XDA-Developers is the place to research methods and ask questions.

Feedback Score
    Any way to force any update? On RP, if that matters.
    Put in a previously activated or never been activated Verizon or RP CDMA sim and check for updates. Usually when you try the first time it will fail, the second time it should say an update is available. That's the only way I get any updates on my S8+'s using an RP CDMA sim.