Thread: T-Mobile + Sprint Combined Spectrum

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile + Sprint Combined Spectrum

I stole this from former HoFo’er TerryJohnson16 who posted this on Reddit. Thank you Terry.

Former HoFo’er Milan created this article for us on both carriers combined spectrum which is neat and informative to review:

https://www.speedtest.net/insights/b...trum-coverage/
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile will be in good shape.
    Also,
    I've wondered what happened to Milan and Terry nice to see they are still around
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I stole this from former HoFo’er TerryJohnson16 who posted this on Reddit. Thank you Terry.

Former HoFo’er Milan created this article for us on both carriers combined spectrum which is neat and informative to review:

https://www.speedtest.net/insights/b...trum-coverage/

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Yea I’m really hoping for some midband 5G access by the time the new iPhone comes out. Only 7 months away.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile will have a problem merging contiguous PCS block because of the simple fact that over the years they sold many, many phones with band 2 but no band 25. Some of the Sprint coverage shown in dark magenta on the maps will be based on band 4126 service, which will be going to DISH. Now, they can replace Sprint's band 41 26 hardware with band 71, it just takes time. Since T-Mobile is notorious for overstating their rural service there will be many areas than those shown on the map where T-Mobile can benefit from Sprint's rural tower leases.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 02-12-2020 at 08:41 PM. Reason: 41/26 confusion
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Very nice read,

Thank you for that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    T-Mobile will have a problem merging contiguous PCS block because of the simple fact that over the years they sold many, many phones with band 2 but no band 25. Some of the Sprint coverage shown in dark magenta on the maps will be based on band 41 service, which will be going to DISH. Now, they can replace Sprint's band 41 hardware with band 71, it just takes time. Since T-Mobile is notorious for overstating their rural service there will be many areas than those shown on the map where T-Mobile can benefit from Sprint's rural tower leases.
    As far as I know, T-Mobile is keeping all of the band 41.

Band 26 is what's going to dish which is Sprint's 800 band that they got in the Nextel merger---the old push-to-talk frequency.

That was key in the merger discussion that T-Mobile got to keep all of that B41. Many thought they would have to divest some of it, but I've not read they were required to do that. Son picked that spectrum up when he outbid Dish for Clearwire.

As far as phones with B25, there was really no reason to ever sell phones with that. Really that's a Sprint only band. And it only has an extra 5 MHz added to the PCS uplink and downlink (1910-1915) and (1990-1995). So not a big deal that many T-Mobile users won't have access to that. The actual band 2 spectrum that they'll get from Sprint will be a very nice addition to the T-Mobile network.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    As far as I know, T-Mobile is keeping all of the band 41.

Band 26 is what's going to dish which is Sprint's 800 band that they got in the Nextel merger---the old push-to-talk frequency. .....
    You are, of course, correct. I just confused 26 with 41. By the time I thought about it, you'd already caught my error. Just reverse 26 and 41 in my post.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    It's additionally likely till Dish builds out an actual network that Tmobile will also be able to use Dish's spectrum that fits in with Tmobile's existing schemes like Dish's band 71.

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    What will it take for Tmobile to start using B41 from Sprint? Do they have to build the infrastructure for it? Or is it just a matter of making some backend network changes. Can it not also be used in rural areas in addition to urban areas like how att is using B30 in some rural areas??

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    What will it take for Tmobile to start using B41 from Sprint? Do they have to build the infrastructure for it? Or is it just a matter of making some backend network changes. Can it not also be used in rural areas in addition to urban areas like how att is using B30 in some rural areas??....
    Apparently, T-Mobile has looked at various LTE network sharing schemes wrt B41 and concluded it wasn't worth the effort. Scuttlebut says they plan to shut down Sprint's B41 LTE and repurpose the band for 5G.