Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to check Ebay "open box" Metro phones have good IMEI or were activated at store?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    463
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0

    How to check Ebay "open box" Metro phones have good IMEI or were activated at store?

    I see a lot of Metro phones on Ebay that are "open box" or New ,

    I assume this was a free phone from a Metro Promo , but how can I check ?

    Do all promo phones get scanned at the Metro store and the "clock" starts then if they get used or not ?

    I am mostly interested in getting a Moto G7 and that it will unlock in 6 months ( hopefully from the day scanned)

    Its just going to be used on my summer vacation in Europe ,

    And how do you tell if Metro has unlocked it yet ? It would not have an active Metro sim in it .
    Last edited by veriztd; 02-13-2020 at 11:37 AM. Reason: corrected title
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,059
    Feedback Score
    0
    found one that says - Phone was activated in store then never used. Comes with phone, charger and owners manual in ORIGINAL box. Includes sim card as well so I'm guessing the phone is ready to be used ?? - https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPEN-BOX-SA...dZWbC#viTabs_0

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,618
    Feedback Score
    0
    I suggest messaging seller through eBay & asking any & all questions.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    463
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mostly I am trying to figure out when the clock starts for the 6 months before if unlocks ,

    When its first used with a Metro Sim , or when it gets scanned at the Metro store ,

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    820
    Carrier(s)
    Metro by T-Mobile, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Unless things have changed, the clock starts when the phone is first scanned/activated in store. I have had phones from.Metro that I haven't used for the entire time that have still unlocked when the 6 months ended.
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Mostly I am trying to figure out when the clock starts for the 6 months before if unlocks ,

    When its first used with a Metro Sim , or when it gets scanned at the Metro store ,

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    463
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks , I hope it stays that way ,

    after 6 months how did you know it was unlocked ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    1,365
    Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Thanks , I hope it stays that way ,

    after 6 months how did you know it was unlocked ?

    We got 4 moto g7 powers last June. One was changed out for a different phone immediately after activation. It unlocked after 6 months just like the other 3 did back in December after running the unlocking app that's installed on the phone.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    463
    Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    We got 4 moto g7 powers last June. One was changed out for a different phone immediately after activation. It unlocked after 6 months just like the other 3 did back in December after running the unlocking app that's installed on the phone.
    thanks , that makes me feel better , I am not in a hurry but in the next few weeks I will look for one and put it away ,

    is there anything on an android phone that will tell you when it was first activated ? I have not found anything in Settings

    Cheers

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    1,365
    Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    thanks , that makes me feel better , I am not in a hurry but in the next few weeks I will look for one and put it away ,

    is there anything on an android phone that will tell you when it was first activated ? I have not found anything in Settings

    Cheers
    Not that I'm aware of.

Similar Threads

  1. How to Check stock quote with Moto Q?
    By gs300 in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 06:33 PM
  2. How to find out if a certain brand of phone is good
    By Anissa Low in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-02-2003, 09:43 AM
  3. How to check the date code of S40
    By agri in forum Siemens
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2001, 10:48 AM
  4. How to check 8290 SIM lock?
    By Schukey in forum Nokia
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-05-2001, 08:17 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2001, 08:30 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks