Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Customer - When can I get T-Mobile Sim & Plan now that the Merger is approved?

Feedback Score

Sprint Customer - When can I get T-Mobile Sim & Plan now that the Merger is approved?

Now the the merger is almost approved, I suspect that efforts to bring Sprint Customers on-board T-Mobile will begin soon.

We discussed on this forum at least two things that might happen:
    1. Users with Compatible Phones can receive an Unlock from Sprint and get a T-Mobile SIM with a plan.
    2. And/Or T-Mobile opens up more roaming for Sprint Customer over VoLTE via some software/firmware & Tower updates.

When do you think Sprint Customer's will see the first options to utilize the T-Mobile network? What will the migration look like?

What would turn you off as a Sprint Customer as you are migrated to the T-Mobile Network?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Now the the merger is almost approved, I suspect that efforts to bring Sprint Customers on-board T-Mobile will begin soon.

We discussed on this forum at least two things that might happen:
    1. Users with Compatible Phones can receive an Unlock from Sprint and get a T-Mobile SIM with a plan.
    2. And/Or T-Mobile opens up more roaming for Sprint Customer over VoLTE via some software/firmware & Tower updates.

When do you think Sprint Customer's will see the first options to utilize the T-Mobile network? What will the migration look like?

What would turn you off as a Sprint Customer as you are migrated to the T-Mobile Network?
    There will be network sharing at everyone can just use both while they work on mergeing the two

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ....What would turn you off as a Sprint Customer as you are migrated to the T-Mobile Network?
    Probably the lack of CDMA roaming.

Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    There will be network sharing at everyone can just use both while they work on mergeing the two...
    Yeah..... maybe not. From what I've read the roaming will be Sprint-to-T-Mobile, not T-Mobile-to-Sprint.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OP, there won't be an immediate integration of the networks. This will take time, I am speculating it could take a full year or longer before we see any change. We can only guess when and how it will happen.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    OP, there won't be an immediate integration of the networks. This will take time, I am speculating it could take a full year or longer before we see any change. We can only guess when and how it will happen.
    Yes my thoughts exactly. Lots of questions...which bands are compatible and which are not...

Do they invest in Sprint towers or move folks off of the network as quickly and orderly as possible?

I think T-Mobile will re-purpose some Sprint towers and shut down others, but making both networks compatible will probably be a waste of time.

Maybe that’s where the confusion is...is integrating Sprint with T-Mobile making both networks talk to each other or is it just taking the best Sprint towers and technology and repurposing for T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yes my thoughts exactly. Lots of questions...which bands are compatible and which are not...

Do they invest in Sprint towers or move folks off of the network as quickly and orderly as possible?

I think T-Mobile will re-purpose some Sprint towers and shut down others, but making both networks compatible will probably be a waste of time.

Maybe that’s where the confusion is...is integrating Sprint with T-Mobile making both networks talk to each other or is it just taking the best Sprint towers and technology and repurposing for T-Mobile.

Network sharing at the start of it

Feedback Score
    Network sharing at the start of it

That would be better for customers...less of a feeling like I am on the Dinosaur network...better customer retention as well.

I am just thinking they will do their MetroPCS strategy. But this merger is a lot bigger than Metro and network sharing would be one way to avoid botching it.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=DRNewcomb;17118443]Probably the lack of CDMA roaming.

Verizon roaming? Out in the boonies?

Feedback Score
    That would be better for customers...less of a feeling like I am on the Dinosaur network...better customer retention as well.

I am just thinking they will do their MetroPCS strategy. But this merger is a lot bigger than Metro and network sharing would be one way to avoid botching it.

It will be just like metro yes.

Feedback Score
    It will be just like metro yes.

Wasn’t Metro keep the best assets, migrate folks off and shut it down?

Feedback Score
    Wasn’t Metro keep the best assets, migrate folks off and shut it down?

I have no clue. I know they get more spectrum and 10,000 Sprint towers out of this. Sprint has a tower on the roof at my work and just like att TMO goes in and out of service where Sprint works good. Hope TMO keeps it

Feedback Score
    Yes same here Sprint has great service where I go to church, but T-Mobile is poor.

They need to do some really good calculations before they sell needed towers to Dish or whoever.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=techfranz;17118459]
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Probably the lack of CDMA roaming.

Verizon roaming? Out in the boonies?

Which is going away by the end of the year anyway. So any CDMA roaming would be limited to carriers like USCC and possibly other regional companies that Sprint may have contracts with.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Feedback Score
    Here’s an article about the strategies of the new company. https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...r-new-t-mobile
    Job 1 will be honing the logistics, marketing and communications plan for Sprint’s ~40 million customers, about 8 million of whom are prepaid and will transfer to Dish. This is going to be a complicated juggling act. Owing to the MetroPCS and other acquisitions, T-Mobile has good experience transferring customers from a price plan/systems/billing perspective. But the more complex element here will be the historically incompatible networks and phones. T-Mobile will have to absorb some of the costs of right-phoning the Sprint customers whose devices will not work on T-Mobile’s network. There’s also the millions of Sprint customers who have newer, and more compatible phones that will work, but not optimally so, on TMO’s network, for example the fact that they don’t support 600 MHz. Any mis-steps by T-Mobile in this transition will provide opportunities for Verizon and AT&T to poach customers, much as TMO did to Sprint during the Nextel debacle.
    Job 2 will be determining the near-term network priorities. The lowest hanging fruit will be accelerating the 2.5 GHz buildout for 5G and bringing it into the T-Mobile fold. This is where New T-Mobile’s secret 5G sauce will be: complementing the 600 MHz coverage with the performance capabilities of 2.5 GHz. As the 2.5 GHz rollout gets to more of a critical mass over the next 12-18 months, TMO will be presented with yet another tricky marketing and financial dynamic: incentivizing customers to switch to phones that work in all the T-Mobile Plus Sprint spectrum bands.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Here’s an article about the strategies of the new company. https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...r-new-t-mobile
    Yes, so it looks like the main goal will be to get Sprint users on the T-Mobile network. Then use the 2.5 ghz spectrum with T-Mobile’s current network infrastructure.

600mhz is not a big deal for T-Mobile Customers as it is not rolled out everywhere. T-Mobile works fine for users without the 600mhz capability. Not every T-Mobile Customer has a 600mhz phones and if they don’t they are probably content without it for the moment till they get a handset upgrade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast