Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Customer - When can I get T-Mobile Sim & Plan now that the Merger is approved?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Verizon roaming? Out in the boonies?
    Verizon, CSpire, USCC, etc.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    From Sprint's Newsroom site:
    https://newsroom.sprint.com/t-mobile...-agreement.htm

I wonder how long until we see more hints at the merger on Sprint and T-Mobile's website?
    Guess a big banner on T-Mobile.com & Sprint.com saying "Welcome Sprint Customers!" might be alarming....but maybe they should put up a Customer FAQ about the merger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    From Sprint's Newsroom site:
    https://newsroom.sprint.com/t-mobile...-agreement.htm

I wonder how long until we see more hints at the merger on Sprint and T-Mobile's website?
    Guess a big banner on T-Mobile.com & Sprint.com saying "Welcome Sprint Customers!" might be alarming....but maybe they should put up a Customer FAQ about the merger.
    Likely not till the deal actually closes which will be in April at the earliest. They have to operate as 2 separate entities until the deal officially closed. You may see something along the lines of FAQ's or little tid bits of what to expect on the sprint site, but won't see a giant official welcome to the family announcement until the merger closes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    OP, there won't be an immediate integration of the networks. This will take time, I am speculating it could take a full year or longer before we see any change. We can only guess when and how it will happen.
    Why would that take that long since project fi uses it both is all-ready integrated allowing simcards phones to use both should be easy with update. Question is if tmobile will keep all towers for 5g if there are shared towers and if sprint will relocate equipment to rural areas. it seems that new networking gear can be reprogramed to new frequencies

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Probably the lack of CDMA roaming.

Yeah..... maybe not. From what I've read the roaming will be Sprint-to-T-Mobile, not T-Mobile-to-Sprint.
    That's pre merger not post merger. Post merger it's network sharing

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tritron7 View Post
    Why would that take that long since project fi uses it both is all-ready integrated allowing simcards phones to use both should be easy with update. Question is if tmobile will keep all towers for 5g if there are shared towers and if sprint will relocate equipment to rural areas. it seems that new networking gear can be reprogramed to new frequencies
    Google Fi uses special SIM cards and special firmware on phones to handle the network usage. When using other phones, it esentially is a T-Mobile MVNO.

For phones that support VoLTE on both carriers, it is still to be published how it will be handled. Such as on an iPhone 11 or Galaxy S20.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tritron7 View Post
    it took over a year for tmobile to fully integrate/convert metro, sprint is a much larger company than what metro was

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was with MetroPCS in 2013 when T-Mobile acquired MetroPCS. It took about two years since there was no LTE back then. MetroPCS was CDMA and T-Mobile was GSM. They announced that about 80% of the Sprint customers now have phones that support T-Mobile network. True is that 80% number doesn’t mean full support of all T-Mobile spectrum, VoLTE and even VoWiFi. T-Mobile uses Band 2, 4, 5 ( only in SC), 12, 66, 71 and some mmWave bands.

Don’t except this to be less than a year since just like MetroPCS they waited for people with non-compatible phones to buy new phones before the New T-Mobile offers you a dollar trade in value for any branded Sprint phone. They will move customers by areas of the country as they refarm some of Sprint’s spectrum to increase bandwidth on T-Mobile network to keep it un-congested during the migration.

Luckily Sprint customers with compatible phone will get LTE proved T-Mobile supports that phone for VoLTE. Over 90% of T-Mobile voice calls are over VoLTE. They won’t move anyone that has a phone that doesn’t support T-Mobile’s VoLTE. This is a list of phones that are supposed to work but not sure it is up to date for recent new phones http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

If you can’t wait you can always go to T-Mobile or MetroPCS and buy a new phone and be on the network that day. T-Mobile has said they expect to have about a dozen new 5G phones in both Flagship and Mid-Range prices this year.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I was with MetroPCS in 2013 when T-Mobile acquired MetroPCS. It took about two years since there was no LTE back then. .......
    Also, T-Mobile has had the practice with MetroPCS, they now know what to do. IMHO, it will probably be as difficult to merge personnel, billing and supply systems as merging the networks will be.

Feedback Score
    Luckily Sprint customers with compatible phone will get LTE proved T-Mobile supports that phone for VoLTE. Over 90% of T-Mobile voice calls are over VoLTE. They won’t move anyone that has a phone that doesn’t support T-Mobile’s VoLTE. This is a list of phones that are supposed to work but not sure it is up to date for recent new phones http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones
    The article is about T-Mobile Band 12 compatibility. Why is that so important? I would think VoLTE would work on the other LTE bands as well.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The article is about T-Mobile Band 12 compatibility. Why is that so important? I would think VoLTE would work on the other LTE bands as well.
    At the time that page was started, band-12 was T-Mobile's only (significant) low-band. It was a big deal to have band-12 VoLTE. Today, that would be band-12 & 71.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    At the time that page was started, band-12 was T-Mobile's only (significant) low-band. It was a big deal to have band-12 VoLTE. Today, that would be band-12 & 71.
    Yes, I do understand the advantage of low-band signal in more difficult reception areas. TMO has been pretty crummy in my location anywhere just outside of town and even on the highways. I have only seen B4 and not B12. Few non-TMO branded phones have B71, so I don't know how well that might work in comparison.

There is a T-Mobile store in town that I may stop and ask what their towers are broadcasting.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    I was with MetroPCS in 2013 when T-Mobile acquired MetroPCS. It took about two years since there was no LTE back then. MetroPCS was CDMA and T-Mobile was GSM.
    Not so. The press release announcing MetroPCS was launching the first commercial LTE network in the US of A.

https://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds...re/MM68045.htm

That was from September 21, 2010.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if the new merged company will have a snappy new logo on their SIM cards.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    I wonder if the new merged company will have a snappy new logo on their SIM cards.
    You mean like a magenta "T"?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast