Thread: Motorola G3 obsolete?

Feedback Score

Motorola G3 obsolete?

My carrier uses the Tmobile network. They just sent me an email saying that the Moto G3 will soon have problems because the phone doesn't support VoLTE and that I (surprise, surprise) have to buy a new phone.

Is this true? And if so, how long before it becomes an issue?

Thanks!

Donald

Feedback Score
    I have not seen a solid date for 3G shutdown by T-Mobile. 2G is scheduled for end of 2020, and it may be 3G will be also. That would likely also include HSPA, which is called"4G". The carriers are all wanting to go to VoLTE ASAP.

If you like Motos consider the G5, G6, G7. Good value for the money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I have not seen a solid date for 3G shutdown by T-Mobile. 2G is scheduled for end of 2020, and it may be 3G will be also. That would likely also include HSPA, which is called"4G". The carriers are all wanting to go to VoLTE ASAP.

If you like Motos consider the G5, G6, G7. Good value for the money.
    The T-Mo 3G shutdown has been mentioned recently. IIRC 2022

The Moto G6 does not have T-Mo 600 MHz band 71 - G5 probably doesn't either. That is really good to have on T-Mo. It makes a big difference for coverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The T-Mo 3G shutdown has been mentioned recently. IIRC 2022

The Moto G6 does not have T-Mo 600 MHz band 71 - G5 probably doesn't either. That is really good to have on T-Mo. It makes a big difference for coverage.
    So why is the OP's carrier giving a warning so early?

Generic Moto G6/G7s don't list B71, but the ones sold by TMO do list it. Some generic lower end Samsung Galaxy models have B71, and all TMO versions do. You just need to check it with a BYOD.

The Moto G5 is not currently sold, so not a consideration anyway. I have one and like it a lot.

I am curious if there is B71 in my area. Don't know anybody with TMO service, so may check at the store in town. Is the 600 MHz B12 not usable? Not sure if they have that here either. I only got B4 when on that service.

Feedback Score
    Don't know. The Verizon MVNOs started nagging about needing a new phone well before the original Vz CDMA shutdown of 12/31/19 (now 12/31/20).

Generic Moto G6/G7s don't list B71, but the ones sold by TMO do list it. Some generic lower end Samsung Galaxy models have B71, and all TMO versions do. You just need to check it with a BYOD.
    Good point about the T-Mo models having band 71 that the generics don't.

The Moto G5 is not currently sold, so not a consideration anyway. I have one and like it a lot.
    I like my generic G6, but I'm not using it on T-Mo.

I am curious if there is B71 in my area. Don't know anybody with TMO service, so may check at the store in town. Is the 600 MHz B12 not usable? Not sure if they have that here either. I only got B4 when on that service.
    I tried T-Mo with phones that have band 12. It was very hit and miss - mostly miss. They turned on band 71 here recently after finally getting the TV stations moved. I now have solid signal inside my home where there was none before and solid signal around town where it was hit and miss before.

I'm not in a major metro area. Home is out just past the suburbs of a small central Virginia town.

I got one of T-Mo's free hotspot Test Drives to test it. The hotspot device has band 71. I think the promo is still going. Don't cost nuthin - don't even have to send the device back.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Most likely to minimize the amount of customers having to scramble for a new phone at the last minute, although some will wait too long. I remember that happening as a CS rep when At&t shut down Analog and 2G networks. I can't tell you how many calls we received from customers who swore that they weren't advised prior to the actual shutdown when notices were sent at least 6-8 months to all affected customers.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....