Thread: Vz allowing cable cos to use vzw 5G why :(

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtv757 View Post
    I feel no one should have to suffer with cable broadband
    Seems more like "small to medium" band in my area.

My Sprint mobile phone gets a much faster connection.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Vz allowing cable cos to use vzw 5G why 😞

That's $300 + million that could be used to expand fiber FTTH broadband and exterminate cable broadband

But hey thats just me . I feel no one should have to suffer with cable broadband

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    See the thing is, did Verizon use those $300+ Million to expand Verizon Fios FTTH? No, They probably used it to run fiber for new 5G sites and existing 4G sites which is great, but it wasn’t for Fios. Verizon has stated before they’re not interested in expanding fios and that they were near the end of expansions. The only place I’ve heard Verizon expanding fios to in the recent years is Boston and once again that’s on the East Coast.

You might be interested in this article: https://arstechnica.com/information-...f-fios-builds/

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    It also assumes every Xfinty customer would have gone to Verizon. Also doesn't take into account Comcast pays Verizon at minimum $3 per GB for every GB those 2 million customers use. So say that is an average of 5 GB a month that's $360 million a year going to Verizon anyway
    Yeah it’s very unlikely the whole 2 million subs would’ve been on Verizon. That profit model is clearly working for Verizon or else they wouldn’t be doing it.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I've heard they are not expanding FIOS, but they are expanding fiber; basically, in non-competitive areas like mine (DSL provider and cable co. are pricey, they act like a cozy duopoly rather than competing very hard), for 4G sites VZW has been running fiber into a single site than using the what normally would be a backup site-to-site wireless link as the main link between cell sites, since the cost of getting 1gbps+ service to most of these sites ranges from "are you kidding me?!?!" to "you can't get that in that location".

I've heard in many of these markets, for 5G they have been sending out GTE trucks and running their own fiber; they admit their own use will leave these fibers like 90% idle, and are apparently perfectly happy to sell service to nearby businesses if they wish; but the main point of this new fiber is strictly to provide a proper data feed for the higher speed 4G and the 5G sites, they ran the numbers and found rolling their own fiber would pay for itself in a reasonable length of time.
    Verizon stopped adding FiOS to additional wirecenters in the late 2000's, but has continued to this day to add FiOS subscribers within wirecenters that already have FiOS, and now they are retiring copper in many areas where they have built FiOS out 100%. They got to about 66% of their customers and then slowed way down, and they still have a lot of copper-only areas that are nearly totally neglected. So it's a mixed bag.

Verizon OneFiber is mostly a separate enterprise from FiOS, as it is for cell towers and business Metro-E connectivity. You can get 1gbps fiber anywhere in the US for a price, but at some point the price to have someone else do it got more expensive than just doing it themselves, so they did it themselves, and now they can sell it to businesses along the way. OneFiber is a big initiative with Verizon, and they are connecting a lot of small cells and macro sites.

At some point, they want to converge OneFiber and FiOS with NG-PON2 in some markets, which I believe is going to kick off in the Boston area, but that sounds more like a major metro initiative to use OneFiber for both residential/SMB (FiOS), and cell tower/large business connectivity.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscustomer View Post
    Yeah it’s very unlikely the whole 2 million subs would’ve been on Verizon. That profit model is clearly working for Verizon or else they wouldn’t be doing it.
    All major carriers sell service through MVNOs, the Verizon-cable deal isn't that different. In most of the areas that they're doing it, cable doesn't compete with FiOS, and in the areas that it does, I doubt Verizon is worried about cable being much of a threat. They probably make way more off of the MVNO deal than they lose in FiOS customers. They might lose a few postpaid customers, but those probably aren't great customers anyway, and many of them would have switched to another carrier or MVNO entirely if not for the cable company deal, so that's probably a wash.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscustomer View Post
    See the thing is, did Verizon use those $300+ Million to expand Verizon Fios FTTH? No, They probably used it to run fiber for new 5G sites and existing 4G sites which is great, but it wasn’t for Fios. Verizon has stated before they’re not interested in expanding fios and that they were near the end of expansions. The only place I’ve heard Verizon expanding fios to in the recent years is Boston and once again that’s on the East Coast.

You might be interested in this article: https://arstechnica.com/information-...f-fios-builds/
    They expanded Fios offerings in my area of NJ back in 2018 but only because a court ordered them to.

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    They expanded Fios offerings in my area of NJ back in 2018 but only because a court ordered them to.
    Yes we need more cities to force vz to expand. That way no one has go suffer with cable broadband .

My neighbor just said they pay $300 monthly (bundle). That's insane . I and I thought my $120 was bad for inconsistent, random outages POS cable broadband was bad enough.

I may have said this above my DirecTV video service is more reliable than cable broadband.

One of my co workers recently went back to fios cause he was getting over 50% packet loss to all sites via cable broadband . It's awful

LTE its the network !

Feedback Score
    Yes we need more cities to force vz to expand. That way no one has go suffer with cable broadband .

My neighbor just said they pay $300 monthly (bundle). That's insane . I and I thought my $120 was bad for inconsistent, random outages POS cable broadband was bad enough.

I may have said this above my DirecTV video service is more reliable than cable broadband.

One of my co workers recently went back to fios cause he was getting over 50% packet loss to all sites via cable broadband . It's awful

How are you going to "force" Verizon do anything?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Couldn't force VW to do anything to improve home internet in my area since they do not provide home service in my market. It would be an exercise in futility to try to legislate VW to do anything here. I would imagine that it is the same issue for many members. I would be happy if they did offer home services here but I understand the reality of that happening are slim to none.

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    The post above said an NJ court ordered Vz 2 expand
    I thought I read NYC doing same thing

Anyway more places need FTTH ! Bottom line

Feedback Score

Here’s some articles about it. Essentially NJ government said Verizon had to offer services to more places, including expanding the county seats and nearby municipalities, and I happen to be fortunate enough to benefit from this.
    http://brick.shorebeat.com/2015/01/w...omes-in-brick/
    https://patch.com/new-jersey/wayne/v...e-anytime-soon
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...n-nj-unserved/
    NYC: https://arstechnica.com/information-...didnt-deliver/

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Everyone who has a telephone line should be able to get FTTH, but short term thinking from the telcos has slowed the deployment of fiber way down. There is no legal framework to force a telco to do fiber, Boston, NYC, and NJ were able to force Verizon's hand because Verizon made various agreements in those areas in exchange for tax breaks and/or video franchise agreements.

Feedback Score

And what about the rest of country. That's what I'm talking about. How do you force Verizon to offer FTTH in say my state where they have never offered either FiOS or even POTS?

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    And what about the rest of country. That's what I'm talking about. How do you force Verizon to offer FTTH in say my state where they have never offered either FiOS or even POTS?
    A good telecom policy would force each ILEC to deploy fiber in their own territory. If that were the case, some telcos might swap/sell/divest certain territories as has already happened to an extent with Frontier and FairPoint. The problem is that while Verizon and AT&T could easily go 100% FTTH, Frontier, Fairpoint, and small local/regional ILECs would need government loans to be able to do it. At least it would be profitable for the government in the long run, as they'd have to pay the loans back with interest like the bailout recipients did.

Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    GTE had fiber service in 1987 in CA
    (https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...212-story.html )
    Bell Atlantic had bell Atlantic video/fiber in 96 in noVA and MD .

It's been 30+ years since 1987. Fiber broadband should have been expanded .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast