Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: Vz allowing cable cos to use vzw 5G why :(

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Posts
    5,778
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon's One Fiber project is something interesting that they're investing in currently.

    https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/.../d/d-id/752625

    https://www.fiercetelecom.com/teleco...-rule-them-all

    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,084
    Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    They don't provide much details on the locations
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    Verizon's One Fiber project is something interesting that they're investing in currently.

    https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/.../d/d-id/752625

    https://www.fiercetelecom.com/teleco...-rule-them-all

    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,060
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    A good telecom policy would force each ILEC to deploy fiber in their own territory. If that were the case, some telcos might swap/sell/divest certain territories as has already happened to an extent with Frontier and FairPoint. The problem is that while Verizon and AT&T could easily go 100% FTTH, Frontier, Fairpoint, and small local/regional ILECs would need government loans to be able to do it. At least it would be profitable for the government in the long run, as they'd have to pay the loans back with interest like the bailout recipients did.
    Frontier is about to file for bankruptcy.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    757
    Posts
    197
    Device(s)
    Samsung N9
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Frontier is about to file for bankruptcy.
    Yea that should never happen
    Should be the MF cable co going bankrupt smh

    But instead folks like me getting raped for incontinence non working cable broadband cause telco never expanded

    FML

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    LTE its the network !

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    394
    Device(s)
    Too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    0

    $50 to anyone who can diagram and explain this sentence(?)!

    Quote Originally Posted by dtv757 View Post
    But instead folks like me getting raped for incontinence non working cable broadband cause telco never expanded
    Sorry. Just couldn't help myself.

    I will only add that the OP's posts on FTTH expansion do not seem to take into consideration the fact that every one of the major carriers--telco or cable--care only for their bottom line (especially stock price--tough last 2 days) and what that can mean for their bonuses and stock options. Their feigned "concern" about customers is only to sell you a "bridge". And, yes, that includes Legere. He would be thrilled to have the highest prices and worst service if it allowed the biggest profits.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    993
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Frontier is about to file for bankruptcy.
    I'm well aware.

    Quote Originally Posted by TZ617 View Post
    Sorry. Just couldn't help myself.

    I will only add that the OP's posts on FTTH expansion do not seem to take into consideration the fact that every one of the major carriers--telco or cable--care only for their bottom line (especially stock price--tough last 2 days) and what that can mean for their bonuses and stock options. Their feigned "concern" about customers is only to sell you a "bridge". And, yes, that includes Legere. He would be thrilled to have the highest prices and worst service if it allowed the biggest profits.
    They care about their stock price in the short term. I have no problem with businesses wanting to make a profit, but telcos should be thinking on a 30-year timeframe, not a 3-month timeframe. If Verizon and AT&T had committed to be all-in with going 100% fiber in 2003 or 2004, they would be making FAR more money today. They would be raking in the dough on fiber broadband and now deploying 10gbps NG-PON2 or XGS-PON nationwide.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    993
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    Verizon's One Fiber project is something interesting that they're investing in currently.

    https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/.../d/d-id/752625

    https://www.fiercetelecom.com/teleco...-rule-them-all
    Yeah, it's an interesting outgrowth of their lousy spectrum position, low tower density, and having the largest marketshare, which is a triple whammy, and required a ton of small cells to be built. They all need fiber, so the next logical step is OneFiber.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,601
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Frontier is about to file for bankruptcy.
    There's a whole bunch of things that led to that.. and failing deploy any meaningful broadband is actually one major reason for that

    Along with things like taking on all of Verizon's absolutely trash copper, debt, etc.. Frontier is a story of what *not* to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    They care about their stock price in the short term. I have no problem with businesses wanting to make a profit, but telcos should be thinking on a 30-year timeframe, not a 3-month timeframe. If Verizon and AT&T had committed to be all-in with going 100% fiber in 2003 or 2004, they would be making FAR more money today. They would be raking in the dough on fiber broadband and now deploying 10gbps NG-PON2 or XGS-PON nationwide.
    Blame investors. They need to do like my company does and tell shareholders to screw off - and it works as we still make a profit (quite a heft one at that) and they still buy stock. Management does their job, and shareholders are just there for the ride with almost no input. It's beautiful
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19,023
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Blame investors. They need to do like my company does and tell shareholders to screw off - and it works as we still make a profit (quite a heft one at that) and they still buy stock. Management does their job, and shareholders are just there for the ride with almost no input. It's beautiful
    I do wish more companies did the same thing, problem is that most of these companies are not going to change.

    "Can't make a leopard change it's spots."
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    993
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Blame investors. They need to do like my company does and tell shareholders to screw off - and it works as we still make a profit (quite a heft one at that) and they still buy stock. Management does their job, and shareholders are just there for the ride with almost no input. It's beautiful
    I'd blame the management and the board for that, as they didn't stand up to investors and tell investors to go get lost in the short term, and only invest if they want a long term investment. Long term investors would have made much MORE money had the telcos gone 100% fiber, as they'd have a incredible asset now and would be just raking in the cash, and most of the cost would have been paid off by now.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,944
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Yeah, it's an interesting outgrowth of their lousy spectrum position, low tower density, and having the largest marketshare, which is a triple whammy, and required a ton of small cells to be built. They all need fiber, so the next logical step is OneFiber.
    Verizon has plenty of site density in most places I’ve been. Far better than AT&T in Minneapolis and Chicago at least, and on par with T-Mobile.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)


    Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    993
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Verizon has plenty of site density in most places I’ve been. Far better than AT&T in Minneapolis and Chicago at least, and on par with T-Mobile.
    It depends on the market, but here in New England, they tend to have the lowest macro site density, which is 1/3 of the reason that they are building small cells combined with the least spectrum and the most customers.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,365
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Everyone who has a telephone line should be able to get FTTH
    Honestly, I personally don't care how I get my service, I care about the result. CenturyLink (local DSL provider) currently has fiber optics to their DSLAMs, providing potentially plenty of speed; then 50 year old copper from DSLAM to home, so top speed they sell is 40mbps. If I had a network like this now, I would ditch the copper for new activations, run the DSL (and voice service if they opt for it) over a wireless link from home to wireless node in the DSLAM cabinet. Just don't price it like wireless service! Fiber to the home is cool, but if I get the 100mbps, 1gbps, etc. at a reasonable price I really don't care how it's getting there.

    Frontier is about to file for bankruptcy.
    There's a whole bunch of things that led to that.. and failing deploy any meaningful broadband is actually one major reason for that
    Along with things like taking on all of Verizon's absolutely trash copper, debt, etc.. Frontier is a story of what *not* to do.
    Yup, that's exactly the issue. Verizon sold off their markets with the oldest DSL equipment, oldest and worst-condition copper. They determined these areas were not profitable for them to update, and they didn't want the FCC or state PUCs or something leaning on them for this.

    Frontier bought these markets, and basically tried to milk them for everything they are worth. I'm talking like $80/month for 1-2mbps. Oh, your line is bad and you're getting like 512kbps? $80. I recall a few "lucky" Frontier customers saying they were on a DSLAM with like a dozen or more ports, and maybe 2 users; Frontier would offer 1-4mbps by bonding 2 DSL lines, $160/month. Yup, ZERO discount when they've got open capacity on there.

    Needless to say, this backfired big time, when you price your service so high it's cheaper to get satellite internet, that's what people will do. Those people that were getting like 512kbps for $80 will obviously find 600kbps throttle cap for $40 line fee (let alone the $20 line fee the plan I'm on has...) to be a no brainer.

    Looks like recently they've gone the other way, offering quite reasonable pricing; don't know if they waited too long (customers haven't signed back up with them quickly enough), or if they've actually priced below cost and that's causing their bankruptcy problems.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    993
    Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Honestly, I personally don't care how I get my service, I care about the result. CenturyLink (local DSL provider) currently has fiber optics to their DSLAMs, providing potentially plenty of speed; then 50 year old copper from DSLAM to home, so top speed they sell is 40mbps. If I had a network like this now, I would ditch the copper for new activations, run the DSL (and voice service if they opt for it) over a wireless link from home to wireless node in the DSLAM cabinet. Just don't price it like wireless service! Fiber to the home is cool, but if I get the 100mbps, 1gbps, etc. at a reasonable price I really don't care how it's getting there.
    You're describing Verizon 5G, although you can't go wireless from a DSLAM cabinet on the ground, antennas need to be mounted up high. Although wireless is good enough for many applications, wired will always be better than wireless. Fiber to the home or building should be the bare minimum required of telcos, as having a hardwired connection will provide better bandwidth, latency, reliability, and capacity than the equivalent generation of wireless technologies. The only reason that 5G is going to be competitive with cable and xDSL is because it's a 2020's technology competing with 2000's and 2010's wireline technology. Today's wireline technology is NG-PON2 or XGS-PON, both of which can provide 10gbps symmetrical to the end user.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. Nokia 3595 USB data cable - How to use???
    By donchang in forum Nokia
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 11:58 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 07:49 AM
  3. Are aftermarket data cables okay to use?
    By lilayzunboi in forum Samsung
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 04:07 PM
  4. A530 cable how to use it ?
    By 2Lo in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-17-2003, 11:51 AM
  5. Ok, VX4400, got the cable, how to use as modem?
    By Hellspawn in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 11:35 AM

Bookmarks