Thread: Simple Mobile "Truly Unlimited" $50/month plan, PC tethering data cap?

Feedback Score

Simple Mobile "Truly Unlimited" $50/month plan, PC tethering data cap?

Using unlocked Android phone. PC tethering and WiFi hotspot both shut off at the same time while I was watching a YouTube video. I'd estimate that my monthly data usage to be around 5GB. I now have no internet on PC, even though PC shows it's connected on tether and not connected on phones WiFi hotspot. If I've exceeded monthly cap, is there any way to get slow speed internet on tethered PC (as Verizon allows for bandwidth hogs) so I'm not completely cut off?

Or is Simple Mobile's "Truly Unlimited" pledge supposed to include PC tethering?

Feedback Score
    looks like official policy is unlimited on the phone but 5GB of hotspot/tethering usage

you can find workarounds such as PDAnet/FoxFi but they would violate the terms of service and might get you in trouble with simple mobile.

if you want to try i would recommend not using a line with a phone number you care about keeping long term in case your account gets terminated for violating the terms. since simple mobile is prepaid you would have no concern about being charged overage, etc.

Feedback Score
    if you need a bit more hotspot and only use 5gb on your phone you may be better off with $40 plan that has 15GB of data(not unlimited) but all can be used for hotspot without violating policy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by path100 View Post
    Using unlocked Android phone. PC tethering and WiFi hotspot both shut off at the same time while I was watching a YouTube video. I'd estimate that my monthly data usage to be around 5GB. I now have no internet on PC, even though PC shows it's connected on tether and not connected on phones WiFi hotspot. If I've exceeded monthly cap, is there any way to get slow speed internet on tethered PC (as Verizon allows for bandwidth hogs) so I'm not completely cut off? Or is Simple Mobile's "Truly Unlimited" pledge supposed to include PC tethering?
    see here - https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...Unlimited-Plan it has a 5GB mobile hotspot per month to tether on other devices. it also says that once you reach the high speed data threshold, your data will be reduced for the remainder of the 30 day cycle.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone.

The worst part of this was that I was using Verizon's $40/mo plan that had 6GB /month tether cap (80 kilobit/sec speed thereafter) and wanting more PC tethering allowance and a Best Buy employee recommended Simple Mobile's $50/mo "Truly Unlimited" plan, which he insisted had unlimited tethering. I told him I doubted that there's really ever any such thing as "unlimited", but I'd gladly spend an extra $10/mo for substantially more PC bandwidth than I was getting with Verizon, and accepting all the usual tradeoffs that come with dealing with cheap resellers.

But in this case, I not only paid much more and got much less, but I get the feeling that I was essentially sold a bogus bill of goods.

Feedback Score
    there certainly are exceptions of some knowledgable people but as a general rule i would avoid advise from retail store sales people

come here first next time, tons of knowledge on these things