Thread: So with this merger if i owe money to tmobile on old accounts how does this affect me

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus,iphone 5s,zte zmax pro,lg aristo,moto g4play,samsung galaxy j7,
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS,Verizon,At&t
    Feedback Score

Question So with this merger if i owe money to tmobile on old accounts how does this affect me

So with this merger if i owe money to tmobile on old accounts how does this affect me? Because with sprint they approved me how will effect me as a current sprint customer? Will i have to get a new tmobile phone to be able to still have service or can i still use my existing phones and devices?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You are not likely to get an answer on any internet forum. Far to early to offer any definitive advice. Not likely any account changes for several months, maybe not until next year.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thephoneman85 View Post
    Will i have to get a new tmobile phone to be able to still have service or can i still use my existing phones and devices?
    Sprint has stated that about 50% of their phones can work on T-Mobile now. Depends on how long they will keep the Sprint network operating as is. No good answers yet, and will likely take some time to work out. You should receive a notice of changing your account to T-Mobile, and it should include any compatibility issues.

Feedback Score
    Here’s an article about the strategies of the new company. https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...r-new-t-mobile
    Job 1 will be honing the logistics, marketing and communications plan for Sprint’s ~40 million customers, about 8 million of whom are prepaid and will transfer to Dish. This is going to be a complicated juggling act. Owing to the MetroPCS and other acquisitions, T-Mobile has good experience transferring customers from a price plan/systems/billing perspective. But the more complex element here will be the historically incompatible networks and phones. T-Mobile will have to absorb some of the costs of right-phoning the Sprint customers whose devices will not work on T-Mobile’s network. There’s also the millions of Sprint customers who have newer, and more compatible phones that will work, but not optimally so, on TMO’s network, for example the fact that they don’t support 600 MHz.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    So with this merger if i owe money to tmobile on old accounts how does this affect me? Because with sprint they approved me how will effect me as a current sprint customer?
    veriztd is right, it's too early to say. But I assume if you're ALREADY a paying customer that they're not going to suddenly put on the brakes on.

Will i have to get a new tmobile phone to be able to still have service or can i still use my existing phones and devices?
    Again too early to say. But I can speculate. If your phone does NOT support VoLTE, it's highly likely you'll need a new phone; I doubt T-Mo will keep CDMA running for long.

If your phone DOES support VoLTE, T-Mo has two choices. They can either unlock your phone (Sprint phones are almost unique in being carrier locked...) and have you pop in a T-Mo SIM; or they can do some kind of combining on their end so the combined network broadcasts as both T-Mobile LTE and Sprint LTE, your phone would still think it's on a highly upgraded Sprint network.

There’s also the millions of Sprint customers who have newer, and more compatible phones that will work, but not optimally so, on TMO’s network, for example the fact that they don’t support 600 MHz.
    True, sub-optimal, they won't get all the coverage they could; but they also won't suddenly lose coverage compared to what they have now*.
    *Unless they are heavily relying on 800mhz band for coverage, which is going to Dish; but, Dish intends to simply lease it back to T-Mo until they have something running on it anyway, so this would be a few years down the road.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Sprint has stated that about 50% of their phones can work on T-Mobile now. Depends on how long they will keep the Sprint network operating as is. No good answers yet, and will likely take some time to work out. You should receive a notice of changing your account to T-Mobile, and it should include any compatibility issues.
    I'd be surprised if it were as low as 50%, as virtually all phones today will work on any carrier with the appropriate firmware updates. Over the next year or two, the natural upgrade cycle will increase that significantly as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    I'd be surprised if it were as low as 50%, as virtually all phones today will work on any carrier with the appropriate firmware updates. Over the next year or two, the natural upgrade cycle will increase that significantly as well.
    Samsung back to the S6 will work fully on T if they just issue a software update and allow VoLTE, and 6s and forward iPhone wise. I doubt there are that many phones over 5-6yrs old on the network - other than people like grandma who wont care to get a cheap-o android replacement, or a refurb 6s/7 to support all the bands.

And really anyone using any *older* phone really needs an update as even my S6 is pretty intolerable now, and my old 5s while still running reasonably well... it's time.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"