Thread: Security Updates

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Security Updates

Will my phone be able to receive updates without being connected to wifi or phone internet?

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    No

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My phone is prompting my to install an update when I turned it on but I am not connected to any internet.

Feedback Score
    I’m not sure I understand the OP’s question. Security updates are by definition, software, and must, at some point, be downloaded using the internet. The OP doesn’t specify which device he has, but in some instances the software updates can be downloaded to a PC and then transferred to the handset without necessarily connecting the handset directly to Wi-Fi or cellular data.

But most phones / tablets are not terribly useful without some form of network or internet connectivity. So I’m not really sure what the OP is hoping to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    But you were connected to the internet recently? For example in the last week or so?

Your device either pre-downloaded and cached the update OR received a notification from the carrier or device MFG that an update is available for download.

No rush, you can wait until you have Wi-Fi again to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know it's odd but I only use my phone for phone calls and texting. I don't enable data nor am I connected to wifi. It is a gs7 edge. My phone notifies me that there is a security update available this morning. I understand it was released on the 13th. I did update my weather forecast on the 2nd of February. That was the only time I used data. I've never had it on wifi. I've had the recovery on 2 phones corrupted from ota updates so I am apprehensive about installing any especially since I don't use it for internet.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that even if you didn't actively connect to the internet, by it's very nature the phone periodically attempts to connect to the internet looking for such updates.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. I know the updates are important. If I just click install now will it connect and install by itself or do I turn on data first? I'm not very tech savvy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lemew View Post
    My phone is prompting my to install an update when I turned it on but I am not connected to any internet.
    The phone downloaded the update a while back, it's file that sits somewhere in the system folder, ready to be applied.

I have received an update on my Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935U (unlocked) on Dec 31st and the phone it's fine. Those phones are now on a three month update cycle.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    The phone downloaded the update a while back, it's file that sits somewhere in the system folder, ready to be applied.
    Not necessarily. The phone may not have actually downloaded the update yet, only acknowledged there is a update available. I have the same phone and I get notifications of such updates but it doesn't automatically download the file itself. I have to connect to the internet to complete security updates. My S7 device is not in active use, but a few months ago, after turning the phone on, I was advised of an update and had 5 uninstalled security updates that I had to complete one by one, from the oldest to the newest instead of all updates at once.

OP, these type of updates should not count against your data usage. A WiFi connection is the best method to download the update.

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Not necessarily. The phone may not have actually downloaded the update yet, only acknowledged there is a update available. I have the same phone and I get notifications of such updates but it doesn't automatically download the file itself. I have to connect to the internet to complete security updates. My S7 device is not in active use, but a few months ago, after turning the phone on, I was advised of an update and had 5 uninstalled security updates that I had to complete one by one, from the oldest to the newest instead of all updates at once.

OP, these type of updates should not count against your data usage. A WiFi connection is the best method to download the update.
    Thank you. This is the Verizon version. I may try to download it but no wifi.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    My S7 Edge also came from Verizon. I currently use a S9+ with Sprint since October 2018. Just wanted to share my experience using the same device that you have with the same carrier (after you just confirmed). Best wishes.

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for your help.

Feedback Score
    Here’s the software update tool for Samsung devices. https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ge-base-80200/