Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caribbean T-Mobile International Coverage

Feedback Score

Caribbean T-Mobile International Coverage

My wife and I will be going on a Caribbean cruise soon. Our ports of call are:

Puerto Rico

Aruba

Curaçao

St. Lucia

St. Kitts

My mother-in-law has offered her T-Mobile hotspot. Will we have coverage in all of those places and what data speeds are we likely to get?

Feedback Score
    If you have free roaming, it is good to go.
    I had been these Caribbean countries, T-Mobile roaming is the best.
    Make sure your phone is compatible with their RF bands.
    Your T-Mobile hotspot will become a junk when you leaving US and it's territory (ie. Puerto Rico). Most (if not all) hotspot things sold by T-Mobile lack of international LTE bands.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Androided; 02-16-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    My wife and I will be going on a Caribbean cruise soon. Our ports of call are:

Puerto Rico

Aruba

Curaçao

St. Lucia

St. Kitts

My mother-in-law has offered her T-Mobile hotspot. Will we have coverage in all of those places and what data speeds are we likely to get?
    There is a search function on the T-Mobile website that allows you to search for a country to see if service is available and what the fees might be for use. Here's a link you might want to bookmark to check in case your cruise itinerary changes or has other stops.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/ro...MK4GXEMT517108

You can confirm what is available for your roaming, and be confident about coverage and charges. If you scroll down, they even have a map.

I don't know if Hotspots have the same roaming coverage as the voice service though.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    There is a search function on the T-Mobile website that allows you to search for a country to see if service is available and what the fees might be for use. Here's a link you might want to bookmark to check in case your cruise itinerary changes or has other stops.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/ro...MK4GXEMT517108

You can confirm what is available for your roaming, and be confident about coverage and charges. If you scroll down, they even have a map.

I don't know if Hotspots have the same roaming coverage as the voice service though.
    Yes, I did find that after I posted this.

It looks like it will be 2G speeds.

I am still trying to determine if Google Fi speeds would be faster or if they would be the same.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I did find that after I posted this.

It looks like it will be 2G speeds.

I am still trying to determine if Google Fi speeds would be faster or if they would be the same.
    Google Fi would be faster, because they don't throttle you to 128kbps, but Google charges $10/GB vs. $0 for T-Mobile (assuming the plan supports free international data.)

The larger problem, as Androided pointed out earlier, is that I'm not aware of a single T-Mobile branded hotspot device that works globally. You'll be dead in the water data-wise when you leave Puerto Rico. You'll need to find a device (even a phone with Hotspot capability) that has the frequencies used in the Caribbean.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Google Fi would be faster, because they don't throttle you to 128kbps, but Google charges $10/GB vs. $0 for T-Mobile (assuming the plan supports free international data.)

The larger problem, as Androided pointed out earlier, is that I'm not aware of a single T-Mobile branded hotspot device that works globally. You'll be dead in the water data-wise when you leave Puerto Rico. You'll need to find a device (even a phone with Hotspot capability) that has the frequencies used in the Caribbean...
    I am very glad that you pointed that out. I just sort of went right by it thinking that my mother-in-laws ZTE Z915 would be fine.

I do have an unlocked AT&T Unite Express 2 AC797S. That might not have the proper bands, either.

A few of my smartphones are Samsung Galaxy S9, Sonim XP8 and the UleFone ARMOR 3 WT.

https://www.netgear.com/home/product...ts/AC797s.aspx

Here is what I think it will be:

Aruba: Mobile networks and carriers in Aruba use 3 GSM bands, 1 UMTS band, and 1 LTE Band 3.

Curaçao: Digicel LTE service operates on the 1800 MHz (also known as band 3).

Saint Lucia: Digicel uses 2 GSM bands 900 (E-GSM) 1800 (DCS) and 1 UMTS Band 1 (2100).

St. Kitts: Flow uses US frequencies of 850 MHz and 1900 MHz for its 2G/GSM and 3G/HSPA+ and 700 MHz for 4G/LTE, while Digicel uses European frequencies of 900 MHz and 1800 MHz for 2G/EDGE and 2100 MHz for 3G/HSPA+. Both operators used to market their 3G/HSPA+ networks as "4G". However, currently, only Flow has started a 4G/LTE network.

It sounds like the most viable option might be to simply pull the T-Mobile SIM card from my mother-in-laws ZTE Z915 and try using it in the unlocked Unite Express 2 AC797S. I do also have two unlocked Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 mobile routers. Maybe they would work okay there, but who knows.

Thanks again for the information. I do appreciate it.

Device(s)
    MT2L03
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am very glad that you pointed that out. I just sort of went right by it thinking that my mother-in-laws ZTE Z915 would be fine.

I do have an unlocked AT&T Unite Express 2 AC797S. That might not have the proper bands, either.

A few of my smartphones are Samsung Galaxy S9, Sonim XP8 and the UleFone ARMOR 3 WT.

https://www.netgear.com/home/product...ts/AC797s.aspx

Here is what I think it will be:

Aruba: Mobile networks and carriers in Aruba use 3 GSM bands, 1 UMTS band, and 1 LTE Band 3.

Curaçao: Digicel LTE service operates on the 1800 MHz (also known as band 3).

Saint Lucia: Digicel uses 2 GSM bands 900 (E-GSM) 1800 (DCS) and 1 UMTS Band 1 (2100).

St. Kitts: Flow uses US frequencies of 850 MHz and 1900 MHz for its 2G/GSM and 3G/HSPA+ and 700 MHz for 4G/LTE, while Digicel uses European frequencies of 900 MHz and 1800 MHz for 2G/EDGE and 2100 MHz for 3G/HSPA+. Both operators used to market their 3G/HSPA+ networks as "4G". However, currently, only Flow has started a 4G/LTE network.

It sounds like the most viable option might be to simply pull the T-Mobile SIM card from my mother-in-laws ZTE Z915 and try using it in the unlocked Unite Express 2 AC797S. I do also have two unlocked Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 mobile routers. Maybe they would work okay there, but who knows.

Thanks again for the information. I do appreciate it.
    I've been on a few Cruises to the Caribbean. T-Mobile has always done better than Verizon , Sprint , and AT&T. ( folks that I travel with have had AT&T , Verizon , and Sprint. My practice has been to place my phone in airplane mode when out of range of a compatible network to avoid unnecessary charges from the cruise ship's internal cellular network. Once you are in range of your port , swich off wi-fi and airplane mode and have your phone search for a compatible network. Keep your list of partner companies to T-Mobile. Make sure the name matches up to your list and you typically can use your phone like normal.

The only times I've had any issues ( if you want to call it that ) is some countries only registered my phone ( Samsung Galaxy S10 ) to their 3G. Grand Cayman , I believe. Phone worked fine though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkej2k View Post
    ……
    The only times I've had any issues ( if you want to call it that ) is some countries only registered my phone ( Samsung Galaxy S10 ) to their 3G. Grand Cayman , I believe. Phone worked fine though.
    Because your phone was not compatible their LTE bands, so got on 3G bands.

Only problem when the cruise cruised along the Cuba coast, I got a huge charge from T-Mobile $15/MB for Cuba roaming

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkej2k View Post
    I've been on a few Cruises to the Caribbean. T-Mobile has always done better than Verizon , Sprint , and AT&T. ( folks that I travel with have had AT&T , Verizon , and Sprint. My practice has been to place my phone in airplane mode when out of range of a compatible network to avoid unnecessary charges from the cruise ship's internal cellular network. Once you are in range of your port , swich off wi-fi and airplane mode and have your phone search for a compatible network. Keep your list of partner companies to T-Mobile. Make sure the name matches up to your list and you typically can use your phone like normal.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I had 3G as well on Grand Cayman on an iPhone if I recall correctly. Still worked great.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Because your phone was not compatible their LTE bands, so got on 3G bands.....
    Which LTE band do they use in the Cayman Islands that you won't find on the S10?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Which LTE band do they use in the Cayman Islands that you won't find on the S10?
    I believe B3 and B17 needed for LTE band for Caymen islands

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I believe B3 and B17 needed for LTE band for Caymen islands...
    According to GSMarena.com, these are the LTE bands supported by the S10 (SM-G973U):
    LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 14(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 46(5200), 66(1700/2100), 71(600)

Feedback Score
    Why not get a Google Voice account and install the app, have a beer and call for free over WiFi?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hardy View Post
    Why not get a Google Voice account and install the app, have a beer and call for free over WiFi?
    When you don't have internet, the Google voice won't work

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    When you don't have internet, the Google voice won't work....
    I think Tom's point was that there's a lot of free WiFi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast