Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What 5g phone to get

Feedback Score

What 5g phone to get

What is the best phone to get for 5g on att? Looks like there are new 5g phones coming should I wait or get samsung S10 5G

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wait for the new Iphones in Sept

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    What is the best phone to get for 5G? None, wait 6 months to a year. The current 5G phones are VERY early models, very expensive, and have VERY poor band support. The S10 5G Sprint model supports 2.5ghz 5G plus 2 mmwave bands, the non-Sprint S10 5G ONLY supports mmwave 5G. Get an S10 5G now, when AT&T starts running DSS on all those 4G bands, the S10 5G won't support 5G on any of them. One of the other 5G models supports only low band 5G on 1 or 2 bands but no mmwave; this also won't support most in-use bands once AT&T runs DSS. Get a 5G phone in 6 months to a year, and besides being able to probably pick one up for 1/4 the cost they are now, the phone you get then would support a bunch of 5G bands so you'd get far more 5G service (the 1/4 the cost won't apply for an iphone, but I'll be shocked if the 5g-compatible iphone out around then doesn't also support loads of 5G bands.)

Edit: If you live in an area with mmwave coverage, I must admit if I was in these areas and had $1000 to spend on a phone I'd be sorely tempted to get one and enjoy those gigabit speeds; it's not like mmwave coverage is going to go away or anything. In that case the Galaxys are nice phones so I would then recommend the S10 5G.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have to agree with hwertz on this topic. The average consumer will not see the true benefits for several months to come. At this time, all 5G phones are near the highest cost and there is not much bang for the buck yet.

I suggest to wait at least 1 year before investing in a 5G phone, unless there is another feature in the phone that is not available on other models that you need to use today.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tritron7 View Post
    What is the best phone to get for 5g on att? Looks like there are new 5g phones coming should I wait or get samsung S10 5G
    Samsung Galaxy S20 models will be out soon. Certain models have access to all the 5G bands. Lots of makers across the board will have the newest 5G devices shipping. I personally would wait for the upcoming 5G models which are coming out. Existing 5G devices are not as capable in terms of bands and the like.

This year will bring the real 5G devices to the market. Nokia, Google, Sony, Apple, Samsung, LG, and more will have new products coming out. Take your pick as to what you want as these devices should work with AT&T when released.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for everyone input, I will wait for new phones. I wonder if Xiaomi Mi 9 Pro 5G att would work on att 5g bands ? Looks like tlc is coming out with nice phone

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    What is the best phone to get for 5G? None, wait 6 months to a year. .....
    +1 Unless you live and work in Manhattan, I really wouldn't bother for a year. The technology is just too new.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I live in Colorado at least I get 200 mbs on LTE at home. I remember having fun with sprint 4g walking up to tower in middle of open space to get sprint 4g before LTE so I guess I am better off, I looked over phones it seems like most 5g frequencies on phones is great towards sprint right now

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    +1 Unless you live and work in Manhattan, I really wouldn't bother for a year. The technology is just too new.
    That is false. AT&T has posted their 5G map and even my area of Queens, Ny has 5G right now. More permits are going on for fiber optics conduit here as we speak.

This year will be the year of 5G. The key date will be Summer 2020 for nationwide 5G. Some areas will get the 5G+ on the higher bands which should come online over time but a good amount will be ready this year.

https://www.att.com/idpassets/sales/...5G_Maps_NY.pdf

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    That is false. AT&T has posted their 5G map and even my area of Queens, Ny has 5G right now. More permits are going on for fiber optics conduit here as we speak......
    You're too literal by half. Manhattan, NYC in general (except City Island), inside the loop Chicago. Places where there are many more people than trees. For the vast majority of customers, they can well afford to wait for the technology to mature some more.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

What 5g phone to get

Here’s a big question for you ATT folks:

Do 5G capable phones on ATT always prefer NewRadio even if LTE signal is available?

Or is there going to be a constant battery killing bounce between the two?

To the OP: I’m on the Magenta side of the fence but naturally I would not want to pay top dollar for a 5G device that didn’t have midband 5G support.

Are the new upcoming Samsungs compatible with ATT’s midband strategy?

I truly believe midband 5G will be the: “sweet spot,” and most beneficial offering a good balance of coverage and speed.

I’m an iPhone guy so I’m waiting to see if it checks all the boxes for me. Only 8 months away.

Good luck with your search.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Here’s a big question for you ATT folks:

Do 5G capable phones on ATT always prefer NewRadio even if LTE signal is available?

Or is there going to be a constant battery killing bounce between the two?

To the OP: I’m on the Magenta side of the fence but naturally I would not want to pay top dollar for a 5G device that didn’t have midband 5G support.

Are the new upcoming Samsungs compatible with ATT’s midband strategy?

I truly believe midband 5G will be the: “sweet spot,” and most beneficial offering a good balance of coverage and speed.

I’m an iPhone guy so I’m waiting to see if it checks all the boxes for me. Only 8 months away.

Good luck with your search.
    I've read up on it and apparently NR only connects if it will offer better results than the LTE connection.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I've read up on it and apparently NR only connects if it will offer better results than the LTE connection.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the quick answer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    You're too literal by half. Manhattan, NYC in general (except City Island), inside the loop Chicago. Places where there are many more people than trees. For the vast majority of customers, they can well afford to wait for the technology to mature some more.
    5G will be the new baseline and 5G+ will be available in the populated areas. You aren’t going to find high band 5G+ in a remote region with mostly trees.

NYC Metro will have 5G+ and density from Nassau County Long Island, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Bronx for 5G+ will all be excellent. New Jersey should see 5G+ over time in areas with enough population and the list goes on all across the USA. Suffolk county, Long Island may have limited coverage in portions as we see on the current map, but hopefully they will be able to get new towers over time. Its still a good first effort and 5G+ will be in the vast majority of places I would be in and improve over time.

All devices are backwards compatible. If you are in rural areas, you will still see some 5G benefit but you could wait longer on replacing devices.

I am on a 4G LTE tablet with backwards HSPA+ compatibility and I never see anything other than these two even though the device works with older bands. A new tablet would see 5G+ mostly where I go, 5G in some other areas. Assuming nationwide 5G, I shouldn't be on LTE but there could be some towers that for whatever reason hasn’t been converted yet or where 5G doesn’t benefit in speeds or whatnot. All new tablet models going forward are hopefully 5G capable that include the wireless licensed bands and I presume this change will apply for all new tablets going forward as Samsung is first to release the 5G tablet and other brands with lots of models will follow over time.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    5G will be the new baseline and 5G+ will be available in the populated areas.......... and other brands with lots of models will follow over time.
    Fine, I agree. The only question is timing. Do you want to be the person who pays a huge premium for Mod 1, S/N 00001 or do you want to give the market a chance to catch up, the technology time to mature. If you're that guy who has to have Mod 1, S/N 00001, then go right ahead buy now. Six months from now you'll be able to buy better for less, but that's your choice. Also, if you live in a mega-city where >6 GHz 5G is available, you might want to spend the bucks, just to get the service. For the rest of us Joe Averages out there, it's not such a great idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast