Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: DT Sets Sights on T-Mobile Being #1 Carrier in US

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    T-Mobile agreed to not raise prices, even on plans offered to new customers, for 3 years:

"To remove any remaining doubt or concerns about New T-Mobile’s prices while we are combining our networks over the next three years, T-Mobile today is submitting to the Commission a commitment that I stand behind – a commitment that New T-Mobile will make available the same or better rate plans for our services as those offered today by T-Mobile or Sprint. We believe this merger makes consumers better off, and we're willing to put our money where our mouth is. Period. "

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1020416...02.01.2019.pdf

There was no such commitment before the merger so this is a great benefit to consumers. All of the speculation about price increases can be tossed aside for now.

Actually lower prices are coming for some customers:

"With the new T-Mobile Connect, all U.S. and Puerto Rico consumers will get an unprecedented HALF OFF of T-Mobile’s lowest priced plan, and access to the New T-Mobile’s supercharged 5G network. At just $15 per month, the plan will give customers unlimited talk and text with 2GB of high-speed smartphone data. That is an estimated annual savings of $180 per year! For $25 per month, customers get 5GB of high-speed data. And because we know that customers use more data every year, T-Mobile Connect will also have an innovative Annual Data Upgrade to give customers an additional 500MB of data per month, every year, for the next five years! This is the first plan that automatically gets bigger and bigger – every, single, year. "

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/superc...ncarrier-moves

Despite what the naysayers claim, there are many benefits headed the way of T-Mobile & Sprint customers along with the millions who decide to port in their service.
    What will those added benefits cost? If these new plans are so much better, when are you switching off your tzones plan to sign up for them? You believe if someone gets more they should pay more right? Does that apply to you as well? Or are you suggesting it's ok for others to pay more, to subsidize the cost of you getting more at a cheaper rate. I'm sure c.s. would gladly move your line over to the new magenta plan for you.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 02-24-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    What will those added benefits cost? If these new plans are so much better, when are you switching off your tzones plan to sign up for them? You believe if someone gets more they should pay more right? Does that apply to you as well? Or are you suggesting it's ok for others to pay more, to subsidize the cost of you getting more at a cheaper rate. I'm sure c.s. would gladly move your line over to the new magenta plan for you.
    It is my understanding that t-mobile will be offering new services, including broadband and perhaps content based services (different from standard cable). This will generate additional revenues. Also, they will aggressively try to capture customers from the big 2. That will also generate additional revenue. So they will fund these "additional benefits" with increased revenue. Not necessarily by raising priced for EXISTING services which they promised not to do but by offering ADDITIONAL services to MORE customers. While they are building out these new services, they will leverage cash and debt.

I am sure that the co has capable management which knows how to conduct business and GAIN not lose customers so avoid worrying for now.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I assume you are mostly kidding about the T-Mo Tuesdays,.......
    Mostly but the point was more that the distinctions between carriers will be very fine.

...., I'm claiming that they will raise prices for *new* customers, at least when merger promises expire, and they will most likely continue to slowly, incrementally raise fees on grandfathered plans as they have for the last decade, which is effectively a price increase for existing customers.......
    I remember when all their "unlimited" plans got capped and they came out with new, higher-priced, honest-to-goodness unlimited plans. I see current unlimited plans being throttled or capped, particularly on 5G, and new honest-to-goodness unlimited 5G plans introduced, at higher prices.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Yes, for exactly three years. What's your point?
    Nobody from T-mobile said in exactly three years there will be a price increase. That's my point. Your comment is simply an attempt at fearmongering. You have no evidence that they'll raise anything.

That may have been T-Mobile's biggest fib of the process. I do believe they'll launch that $15 plan, but the fib was describing it "half off T-Mobile's lowest price plan". That strongly implies the price of T-Mobile's current lowest cost plan is being cut in half,
    There is no fib and no implication. The price point along with the amount of data the plan comes with is all included in the press release that I linked to. I'm sure when the actual plan is released, T-mobile will follow ethical advertising standards to sell it.

And, plans equal to or better than this already exist in the MVNO market. (E.g. Mint Mobile, a T-Mo MVNO offers unlimited T&T, and 3GB high speed data/unlimited throttled for $15.)
    So now T-Mobile will be marketing the mentioned plan to a much larger audience. It all benefits the consumer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    I can guarantee you I pay LESS than you do for TMobile service, I can guarantee you I've been a customer for LONGER than you have. I can guarantee you I know MORE about the company than you do, and have stronger ties TO the company than you do.
    How strong are your ties as an ex employee? From what I've observed, T-mobile is still doing great without you. They're still adding many customers each quarter.

The answer your question, of course Verizon and at&t will raise rates.
    That's fine, for the next 3 years, T-Mobile won't match those increases so that will just make T-Mobile service more attractive to the consumer.

Without a TMobile or a Sprint to keep prices down,
    T-Mobile can still keep prices down. You're just speculating they will increase them. There's no evidence of that.

What will those added benefits cost?
    Nothing for three years. After that, who knows? Unlike you, I won't speculate. I'm just going to enjoy the benefits.

If these new plans are so much better, when are you switching
    I don't need to switch to get anything. I have a new Galaxy arriving on March 6th that will have all of T-Mobile's 5G bands.

Or are you suggesting it's ok for others to pay more, to subsidize the cost of you getting more at a cheaper rate.
    That's fine with me. I also don't have any issue with paying $184 for a one-way airline ticket when I'm fully aware others on the plane paid $602. I'm just being rewarded for being a better consumer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    How strong are your ties as an ex employee? From what I've observed, T-mobile is still doing great without you. They're still adding many customers each quarter.

That's fine, for the next 3 years, T-Mobile won't match those increases so that will just make T-Mobile service more attractive to the consumer.

T-Mobile can still keep prices down. You're just speculating they will increase them. There's no evidence of that.

Nothing for three years. After that, who knows? Unlike you, I won't speculate. I'm just going to enjoy the benefits.

I don't need to switch to get anything. I have a new Galaxy arriving on March 6th that will have all of T-Mobile's 5G bands.

That's fine with me. I also don't have any issue with paying $184 for a one-way airline ticket when I'm fully aware others on the plane paid $602. I'm just being rewarded for being a better consumer.
    I'm not sure how strong it is, they would likely be doing as well though without you as a customer or on Howard forums wouldn't they? If you need a job though I can put you in contact with someone.

So no plans on switching plans eh? That's what I figured. Most people are like that. They have zero issues telling others that they should pay more, but when it comes to themselves, nooooooo. Well, if they ever do force you to upgrade, luckily for you they are also taking over sprints government subsidized service, so you'll have other cheap options to choose from. Thanks for responding.

Feedback Score
    Deutsche Telekom was able to revise the original all stock deal and increase their ownership in the new company by 1%. Softbank ownership decreased by 3% and overall common stock ownership increased by 2%

Here is the link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeik.../#381a16e549e4

Feedback Score
    When considering this long term goal of becoming the number one carrier in the US, it is instructive to keep in mind that the Federal Republic of Germany owns 14.5% of Deutsche Telekom and the KfW Gruppe owns 17.4% of Deutsche Telekom, KfW Gruppe is an investment bank that is owned 80% by the FRG and 20% by the several states that form the Republic.

Therefore, the State of Germany will own 13.717% of the "New T-Mobile". And therefore, the pressure to make high profits/ROI will be less than that on VZW and AT&T because governments want steady, predictable, constant returns vs volatility.

Name:  Screenshot_2020-02-22 Shareholder structure.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  19.2 KB
    Last edited by Greenmule; 02-25-2020 at 08:51 AM. Reason: clarify and explain the post

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'm really excited to learn about their renewed Enterprise focus, what their plans are for Sprint's T-1 backbone, whether they will work with DT to expand T-Systems here in the US and whether they will create a new partnership with big cable for wired telephony.

There are a lot of ways to close market valuation beyond adding mobile phones.

I hear they plan to aggressively go after duopoly accounts hard. Nothing off the table.

Sent from my moto g(6) using HoFo mobile app
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Deutsche Telekom has a plan. The Germans have a plan and it might be a 5 year plan or a 10 year plan, but one thing for sure, they have a plan,

There is a precedent for a German company coming to the United States, buying what most everyone else thought was a company that was flatlining, and taking that company from worst to first. Damiler/Mercedes-Benz did it with Freightliner trucks (class 5 to class 8 trucks) and commercial vehicles.

The parallels are there. Once Daimler acknowledged that they could not accomplish the task on their own, they hired a renegade type executive from a competitior; Jim Hebe from Kenworth (PACCAR). Anyone familiar with the account would know that Jim Hebe's management style was alot like John Legere's style.

Jim Hebe told Daimler that he needed $5 billion to get this thing fixed correctly and Daimler said we'll wire you the money, check the account in 2 days.

Hebe took Freightliner to where Daimler wanted him to take it. Hebe fufilled his side of the agreement. Daimler fullfilled their side of the agreement. Hebe was handsomly rewarded and told thank you very much, we'll take it from here.

Daimler/the Germans took it from there and in 2018 Freightliner market share was 36.5%, PACCAR is second at 30.4%. Freightliner domination of that industry has bee for awhile. I don't have room for all of the exact dates in my head, but the accounts are curiously very similar.

Legere goes out in May of this year. I truly believe that DT didn't renew that contract. I believe that DT said thank you for a job well done, each of us fufilled our contracts, now we'll take it from here.

I don't know all of the bits and bytes and B&B/S&M--I don't know how the sausage is made--in the wireless industry. But I know this, if Deutsche Telekon/the Germans went through all of this to get to where they are today, then they have a plan and they will execute it.

If i were the duopoly, I would get ready for a rumble.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has a LONG road to travel down if it wants to become the '#1 carrier' in America.
    - Rural coverage is still FAR below what Verizon and AT&T have in most areas
    - Urban indoor coverage (i.e. some shopping areas) - places like Westfield Topanga - T-Mobile has sites a block away, while AT&T has indoor DAS. Similarly - Vail, CO - there's a site covering the village vs. multiple metro cells for AT&T/VZW.
    - Corporate support - I have worked for many LARGE corporations - all have offered work phones for Verizon, Sprint, AT&T... but never T-Mobile. This may change once Sprint has been absorbed. They will have to get some redundancy built out for this to occur.
    That is to keep up to where they are ... 'Now'.
    Going forward into 5G, T-Mobile will have some spectrum advantages, but still needs to get into the game. IoT, as well as many terminals, OnStar, etc. will have to be supported by others. T-Mobile right now just doesn't cut it for many rural areas.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3