Thread: Google Voice aboard ship

Feedback Score

Google Voice aboard ship

I wonder if I am doing something wrong with google voice? I got a number and put on the app and told it to work on wifi. I made a call over my own Wifi and it worked fine. On my cruise ship, the wifi speed wasnt stellar but I could use my phone to surf... when I tried to get google voice to work, I got an Aw shoot message. Later, I tried the phone at a McDonalds. Another aw shoot message. I brought the fone home and it works perfectly over my own wifi....
    Do internet providers with wifi have the option to turn off the ability to use VoiP?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I can't say for certain what happened, but likely they can prevent access to certain internet sites. I couldn't use some internet sites while traveling in Italy last October.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    When I used Google Voice outside the US to call back home I had to add +1 to the phone number. There wasn't any error messages, it just didn't work.

Not sure what you have to dial on a cruise ship.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    When I used Google Voice outside the US to call back home I had to add +1 to the phone number. There wasn't any error messages, it just didn't work.

Probably the same +1 on a cruise ship. +1 is just the Country Code for the US.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Probably the same +1 on a cruise ship. +1 is just the Country Code for the US.
    Agreed. I used to assist customers on behalf of At&t for international services. +1 or 011 is required prior to the phone # when placing calls while on a cruise ship. I can't say with certainty if required when using Google voice or Skype (for example). It is treated as international when sending or receiving calls using the ship communications.

Feedback Score
    I also can't say for sure what was going on. But I thought the +1 (or 001) dialing was only required if a non-USA SIM card was installed in the phone or tablet being used to place calls with Hangouts (or the GV app).

When I was in Europe in 2018, in my phone with a T-Mobile USA SIM card, I was able to place calls using Hangouts over either cellular data or WiFi without dialing +1 (or 001) to place a call to the US. In my phone with a Three (UK) SIM card in it, I DID have to dial +1 (or 001) to place a call to the US over either cellular data or WiFi.

That was just my experience. It might not be the same for everyone everywhere outside the US and/or it could have changed since 2018.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I also can't say for sure what was going on. But I thought the +1 (or 001) dialing was only required if a non-USA SIM card was installed in the phone or tablet being used to place calls with Hangouts (or the GV app).

When I was in Europe in 2018, in my phone with a T-Mobile USA SIM card, I was able to place calls using Hangouts over either cellular data or WiFi without dialing +1 (or 001) to place a call to the US. In my phone with a Three (UK) SIM card in it, I DID have to dial +1 (or 001) to place a call to the US over either cellular data or WiFi.
    When you place a call using GV or Hangouts via WiFi or Data, it assumes you're in the US (regardless of your actual physical location) because technically that service is only available to Google users in the US (I know you can fake it). So the +1 or 001 prefix is not needed to call a US number.

When you used your Three (UK) SIM, it's a non-US carrier, so you have to dial +1 or 001 to call a US number, whether using cell service or WiFi Calling (which still involves the carrier).

When my brother from Australia came to visit us in the US and used his Australian phone/carrier, he had to dial +1 or 001 to call our US numbers, even though he was physically in the US.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post

When my brother from Australia came to visit us in the US and used his Australian phone/carrier, he had to dial +1 or 001 to call our US numbers, even though he was physically in the US.
    That's because the call has to be routed internationally to his home carrier and then routed back to the US carrier he is roaming on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    ...Do internet providers with wifi have the option to turn off the ability to use VoiP?
    Yes, VOIP calling can be blocked. I know my club does. I don't know how widely it is done. I haven't tried McDonalds in years. Was the McDonalds in the US?

There have been reports here of successfully using GV/Hangouts over cruise ship Wifi. As others mentioned, if the source of the Wifi is not US based, you may need to prepend +1 or 001 to the called number.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Making phone calls at sea is difficult or expensive. Cruise ship WiFi is satellite internet. VoIP is often blocked and/or prohibited by the ship'e WiFi TOS. Even if allowed, the high latency likely makes VoIP quality poor.

Email and messaging with Google Voice, Facebook Messenger, etc work well with shipboard WiFi. In an emergency you can make expensive but reliable calls using the phone in your stateroom.

You can make VoIP calls with land based WiFi in ports. That's what the crew members do and they will tell you where the good hotspots are if you ask.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post

OOOOOOoooooooh. Good point!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Making phone calls at sea is difficult or expensive. Cruise ship WiFi is satellite internet. VoIP is often blocked and/or prohibited by the ship'e WiFi TOS. Even if allowed, the high latency likely makes VoIP quality poor.

Email and messaging with Google Voice, Facebook Messenger, etc work well with shipboard WiFi. In an emergency you can make expensive but reliable calls using the phone in your stateroom.

You can make VoIP calls with land based WiFi in ports. That's what the crew members do and they will tell you where the good hotspots are if you ask.
    Good info....Thanks. I am going to Vancouver BC to board a cruise ship in May....I will try the +1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yes, VOIP calling can be blocked. I know my club does. I don't know how widely it is done. I haven't tried McDonalds in years. Was the McDonalds in the US?

There have been reports here of successfully using GV/Hangouts over cruise ship Wifi. As others mentioned, if the source of the Wifi is not US based, you may need to prepend +1 or 001 to the called number.
    Yes, the McDs was in the US. But I am going to try the +1 when out of the country. Not needed on my home WiFi