Thread: Traveling international

Device(s)
    Optimus Slider
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Traveling international

Hi There

I have Tmobile service and I will be traveling to Greece and Italy this summer. What is the best way to use my phone without getting a huge bill in the end (ie international plan)? Thank you

George

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gjkiii View Post
    Hi There

I have Tmobile service and I will be traveling to Greece and Italy this summer. What is the best way to use my phone without getting a huge bill in the end (ie international plan)? Thank you

George
    Most T-Mobile plan has free roaming worldwide.
    Yes, free roaming, you won't get charge anything.
    If you have grand grand fathered plan without free international roaming , you can add a data line with 2GB plan comes with free international roaming.
    All you need is a compatible phone with LTE band 3/7/20.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    First, are you on prepaid or postpaid? Second, what phone do you have?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Two more questions, how long are you staying overseas and what usage would you want to have, how much data, how much is streaming video, do you have to use voice incoming or outgoing to US or local to you numbers?

Device(s)
    Optimus Slider
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post
    Two more questions, how long are you staying overseas and what usage would you want to have, how much data, how much is streaming video, do you have to use voice incoming or outgoing to US or local to you numbers?
    I have an iphone 10s max. Staying 2 weeks. Not sure about the data. Maybe 2 gigs. Probably your tube streaming some. Yes on the voice unless the wifi calling gets me around that somehow.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have an iphone 10s max. Staying 2 weeks. Not sure about the data. Maybe 2 gigs. Probably your tube streaming some. Yes on the voice unless the wifi calling gets me around that somehow.
    I've used the 'default' T-Mobile One plan when traveling through Greece/Italy/Malta/Slovenia/Croatia. Speeds weren't great (128kbps), but I didn't have to pay anything extra. If I'm not mistaken, WiFi voice shouldn't cost you anything extra, while you might have to pay for cellular voice service.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    OK, assuming you're on a current postpaid plan (you didn't say), free roaming data runs about 128 kbps. Maybe enough to stream music but certainly not enough to stream YouTube. You can check e-mail, but big attachments will take forever. Facebook is possible but slow and no cute cat videos. For Google Maps I recommend downloading the area you plan to visit in advance (Offline maps feature).

For an additional charge you can get a higher data speed (i.e. 500 kpbs) but YouTube is still doubtful.

Incoming and outgoing cellular calls are 25˘/min (to most countries). Incoming calls and outgoing calls to the US on WiFi are free. Unanswered calls that roll over to voicemail or are rejected are still charged. Texts are free.

You could get a local, prepaid, SIM for data or you could lower your expectation of constant high-speed connectivity.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Optimus Slider
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    OK, assuming you're on a current postpaid plan (you didn't say), free roaming data runs about 128 kbps. Maybe enough to stream music but certainly not enough to stream YouTube. You can check e-mail, but big attachments will take forever. Facebook is possible but slow and no cute cat videos. For Google Maps I recommend downloading the area you plan to visit in advance (Offline maps feature).

For an additional charge you can get a higher data speed (i.e. 500 kpbs) but YouTube is still doubtful.

Incoming and outgoing cellular calls are 25˘/min (to most countries). Incoming calls and outgoing calls to the US on WiFi are free. Unanswered calls that roll over to voicemail or are rejected are still charged. Texts are free.

You could get a local, prepaid, SIM for data or you could lower your expectation of constant high-speed connectivity.
    I am on a plan called one plus promo. So is it necessary to add on some sort of international plan if I wanted x amount of minutes if I do not have acess to wifi?

Feedback Score
    I am on a plan called one plus promo. So is it necessary to add on some sort of international plan if I wanted x amount of minutes if I do not have acess to wifi?
    If you want better speed ,then you need add international roaming pass $35 every 10 daysName:  Capture+_2020-02-22-18-29-54.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  49.9 KB

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I don't know about the "promo" but this is what T-Mobile says about "One Plus":
    What you get with T-Mobile ONE Plus

T-Mobile ONE Plus amps up the standard T-Mobile ONE plan for an additional cost. Here's what you get in addition to everything your T-Mobile ONE plan already offers for your phone or tablet:

Unlimited HD streaming in the U.S. (must be manually activated)
    20 GB of 4G LTE mobile hotspot data with unlimited 3G data
    2x the data speed abroad - In 210+ countries and destinations (approx. 256 kbps)
    Unlimited in-flight Wi-Fi on Gogo-enabled flights to, from, or within the U.S. *
    Voicemail to Text - Read voicemails on the go *
    Name ID - Identify calls from unknown numbers *
    So, you get free ~265 kbps data when roaming abroad. You can pay extra to get ~500 kpbs but that's (AFAIK) all T-Mobile offers. As for minutes, I find it best to just not use any. You can forward all incoming calls to voicemail and deal with calls when you have access to WiFi.* Also, buying a few Skype-Out or Viber-Out minutes (or similar VoIP minutes) can allow you to return calls over data, which is free. I think checking visual voicemail also used data and is free. So, there's a lot you can do with free data, so that you don't have to use minutes.

*Remember, you're going to be 6-8 hours ahead of the US. You don't want people calling you up at 2:00 AM for a chat.

Feedback Score
    Your Xs Max is an esim phone I believe.

If you are on an esim with your primary line, I'd buy a "3" UK sim from Amazon. They are good for 30 days, 4Gb costs about $17 and you can activate it in the US before you depart to be sure it is set up properly. It will also give you a free local number (UK number with +44 prefix) to use in Europe for Uber, hotels, restaurants, etc. You can mostly ignore the low reviews, many people are tech challenged by this system setup and fail.

If you are not on esim currently, then Airalo has an esim data plan for $20/5Gb/30 days that will work where you'll be visiting. You can set both of these services up to use the IMS service to emulate WiFi calling without actual WiFi and therefore have free calling to and from the States while roaming. I can explain more if you want, just PM me.

I travel a moderate amount every year, and these are currently the most cost effective, mainstream services I've found.
    Last edited by daleraver; 02-23-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    Easiest and cheapest solution: FWD your phone number to a VOIP app like Talkatone, which runs on the free roaming data. All of the incoming calls ring on the VOIP app; you call out using your VOIP number. Total cost is $0.00. I’ve used this exact calling setup several times when traveling abroad.

Also, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Google Translate all worked fine with the 128k speed data. No need to buy anything extra.

If you do need/want fast(er) data, see some of the other suggestions.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi George, i go to Greece every year for 1 month and i use the $50 add on. Since you are going for 2 weeks it depends on your needs. If you do not add any add ons then you have free internet, free texting and 25cents per minute on all incoming and outgoing calls to greece, italy and the USA. The internet is slow but will work for google maps. Forget uploading or downloading or streaming anything. Now, if you want to use your phone like you do in the states, you should probably do an add on. If i were you i would just pay for the $50 add on even though you are going for 2 weeks. It will cover you in italy and greece. All calls will be FREE and you get 15gb of very fast internet 4g lte speeds and its very fast. If you do the 10 day plan its $35 and you get less data and for the last 4 days your calls are 25cents per min. Its only $15 more to do the 30 day plan and you dont have to worry. You never know if you have an emergency and need to be on your phone for extended periods of time. Καλό ταξίδι!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    Hi George, i go to Greece every year for 1 month and i use the $50 add on. Since you are going for 2 weeks it depends on your needs. If you do not add any add ons then you have free internet, free texting and 25cents per minute on all incoming and outgoing calls to greece, italy and the USA. The internet is slow but will work for google maps. Forget uploading or downloading or streaming anything. Now, if you want to use your phone like you do in the states, you should probably do an add on. If i were you i would just pay for the $50 add on even though you are going for 2 weeks. It will cover you in italy and greece. All calls will be FREE and you get 15gb of very fast internet 4g lte speeds and its very fast. If you do the 10 day plan its $35 and you get less data and for the last 4 days your calls are 25cents per min. Its only $15 more to do the 30 day plan and you dont have to worry. You never know if you have an emergency and need to be on your phone for extended periods of time. Καλό ταξίδι!
    I always use T-Mobile free roaming, even it is very slow, but it is enough for navigation, Uber etc. Free is the best....

Device(s)
    Optimus Slider
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    I agree. I think I’m gonna pay the $50 and call it a day. Thank you to everyone for all the advice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast