Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Traveling international

Device(s)
    Samung S9 Plus Factory unlocked OnePlus 6T Galaxy tab A GSM
    Carrier(s)
    TMOBILE USA ,ORANGE SPAIN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    Hi George, i go to Greece every year for 1 month and i use the $50 add on. Since you are going for 2 weeks it depends on your needs. If you do not add any add ons then you have free internet, free texting and 25cents per minute on all incoming and outgoing calls to greece, italy and the USA. The internet is slow but will work for google maps. Forget uploading or downloading or streaming anything. Now, if you want to use your phone like you do in the states, you should probably do an add on. If i were you i would just pay for the $50 add on even though you are going for 2 weeks. It will cover you in italy and greece. All calls will be FREE and you get 15gb of very fast internet 4g lte speeds and its very fast. If you do the 10 day plan its $35 and you get less data and for the last 4 days your calls are 25cents per min. Its only $15 more to do the 30 day plan and you dont have to worry. You never know if you have an emergency and need to be on your phone for extended periods of time. Καλό ταξίδι!
    Same here I travel to Spain for 30 days each year and tack on the 50.00 option no need to worry about the 25 Cent a minute voice charge. works like a charm with taxes it comes out to 52.00 Dollars... Just as a point of information my previous carrier was AT&T and they offered the option 10.00 a day. at the time I thought it was great but when I got the final bill I was hit with all kinds of fees and taxes and surge charges it was like 60.00 extra. (360.00 total) In comparison to all the other carriers, the 50.00 option is a bargain. My wife has also used it when she travels overseas unbeatable and we are able to get LTE speeds known as 4G in Europe hope this helps

Feedback Score
    I just received an order from Amazon today of 2 "Three" UK prepaid simcards. They are 4Gb data, unlimited voice & text and come with a Euro (UK) phone number. They roam in 71 countries, mostly in Europe, but include a few others like Australia, Brazil, Singapore, Costa Rica, etc. I've tested one in the US for the past month and they work well here at least. I'm going to Europe in a few weeks and will give an update when I have a little more experience with them. They only cost about $10 each, but the postage is another $5.52, so the total is about $12.50 each. Still a pretty decent deal, but no US calling allowed. However the IMS function should fill in that shortcoming.

I imagine the TM $50 plan would be easier and has more coverage, but it's also 4X more expensive, and I don't need a lot of data when I travel, since I usually have Wifi in hotels and restaurants.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I just received an order from Amazon today of 2 "Three" UK prepaid simcards. They are 4Gb data, unlimited voice & text and come with a Euro (UK) phone number. They roam in 71 countries, mostly in Europe, but include a few others like Australia, Brazil, Singapore, Costa Rica, etc. I've tested one in the US for the past month and they work well here at least. I'm going to Europe in a few weeks and will give an update when I have a little more experience with them. They only cost about $10 each, but the postage is another $5.52, so the total is about $12.50 each. Still a pretty decent deal, but no US calling allowed. However the IMS function should fill in that shortcoming.

I imagine the TM $50 plan would be easier and has more coverage, but it's also 4X more expensive, and I don't need a lot of data when I travel, since I usually have Wifi in hotels and restaurants.
    You got SIM cards which has no ballance, you have to top up to be able to use...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    A little OT but I think my scheduled April vacation in Greece just went down the tubes.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    You got SIM cards which has no ballance, you have to top up to be able to use...

Actually that is not true.

That is a common misconception, according to users on Flyertalk.com. Apparently the problem is, many who buy these do not follow the directions for activation. When first inserted I saw that the sim had a 100Mb credit already available, and I suppose this is to facilitate activation. Anyway, thereafter you need to follow the steps given in the text messages to complete registration and obtain your full credit. I believe many seem to just assume the sim is active from the 100Mb credit, and then complain that the sim service doesn't work without a "Top Up" being added. I had no trouble activating a 12Gb sim here in the US and used about 4Gb for the month it was active. It roamed on T-Mobile during that time with normal speeds and service. The only issue I found was that Pandora would not stream music from a non US carrier, Three UK.

Now that the travel ban is in place, I'll be cancelling my March travel plans, so I'll just save my new 3 UK sims for another trip. They supposedly do not ever expire, but that remains to be seen. I'm going to the Mediterranean in November for a month, so I guess I'll find out about that.

Feedback Score
    Actually that is not true.

That is a common misconception, according to users on Flyertalk.com. Apparently the problem is, many who buy these do not follow the directions for activation. When first inserted I saw that the sim had a 100Mb credit already available, and I suppose this is to facilitate activation. Anyway, thereafter you need to follow the steps given in the text messages to complete registration and obtain your full credit. I believe many seem to just assume the sim is active from the 100Mb credit, and then complain that the sim service doesn't work without a "Top Up" being added. I had no trouble activating a 12Gb sim here in the US and used about 4Gb for the month it was active. It roamed on T-Mobile during that time with normal speeds and service. The only issue I found was that Pandora would not stream music from a non US carrier, Three UK.

Now that the travel ban is in place, I'll be cancelling my March travel plans, so I'll just save my new 3 UK sims for another trip. They supposedly do not ever expire, but that remains to be seen. I'm going to the Mediterranean in November for a month, so I guess I'll find out about that.
    Read multiple "3" UK prepaid SIM card vendor's bad reviews , some buyers felt getting misled and cheated.
    On the same boat, trying to get my money back from British airways to cancel the trip Malaga Spain because the travel ban...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    A little OT but I think my scheduled April vacation in Greece just went down the tubes.
    Can I assume it was because of Covid-19 ?? Sorry to hear that you won't be going. I am glad that I was able to go to Italy and Sicily back in October 2019, well before the concern of the virus.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yup... even my vacation to Canada has gone down the tubes.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Read multiple "3" UK prepaid SIM card vendor's bad reviews , some buyers felt getting misled and cheated.
    On the same boat, trying to get my money back from British airways to cancel the trip Malaga Spain because the travel ban...

I also read all the same reviews. A common thread amongst them is a lack of details about how they activated, and frequently that it seemed to work and then stopped. This supports my comments about the 100Mb open credit. I’ve chatted with a few sellers and they all say the same thing, people don’t read the directions=operator error. But you will decide for yourself, just like I did. Many travelers on Flyertalk swear by them, and they use them frequently they say. I believe each sim comes with a UK phone number and sometime during activation that should be entered to actually turn on the included features. I did that in the “Three” app on my phone. There is an alternate series of sims that you must text or email the number to the vendor and they add the credit.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Can I assume it was because of Covid-19 ?? Sorry to hear that you won't be going. I am glad that I was able to go to Italy and Sicily back in October 2019, well before the concern of the virus.
    Yep. We're expecting to hear from the tour company any day now. Technically, the start date is outside the 30-day travel moratorium but just outside. Expecting the other shoe to drop and minute.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I'm not sure you can paint all the Amazon SIMs with the same brush- they're sold by a variety of different vendors who sell different packages and have different methods of activating and funding the SIMs.

When we went to Europe last summer, I bought three (the number) Three (the carrier) SIMs from three (the number!) different vendors, figuring the likelyhood was at least one of them would work as advertised! One was activated within 24 hours of logging into some Google Forms website online and entering the SIM number, one by email with the vendor, and one came with a Three UK TopUp voucher number written on the activation instructions sheet the vendor included in the envelope. That was the only one I activated the "normal" way- via Three's website, then topping up myself with a voucher.

I also ordered a couple of 200MB/month free data SIMs and waited until I was in the UK to activate them (according to the vendor's instructions, if I used them outside the UK first, I'd forfeit the free data.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    That's a very interesting experiment. So far all I have found is two versions of the Three sims on Amazon. One has the activation done by the user and the other by the vendor upon request with the activation date specified. I don't doubt there are more with different procedures and this is why I've found it a good idea to read the instructions. I've been guilty of that for years, I like to dig out the nuances most products have deeply embedded in the little manuals with the incredibly tiny print.

I'm now wondering what the airlines are going to do about my cancellations of flights for my Spanish trip. Has anyone heard of any general policies the industry might have in place?

Feedback Score
    I'm now wondering what the airlines are going to do about my cancellations of flights for my Spanish trip. Has anyone heard of any general policies the industry might have in place?
    This is off topic.
    My spring break holiday flight to Malaga, Spain tommorow with British airways, Last night, Trump announced Europe travel ban, I have to cancel it.
    Unfortunately, today BA call center got blown up. I finally called through their executive support line.
    They still not change their policy yet, only allow to put my ticket on hold as credit for one year . It is very bad

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    This is off topic.
    My spring break holiday flight to Malaga, Spain tommorow with British airways, Last night, Trump announced Europe travel ban, I have to cancel it.....
    The details are that you can still go but you have to be quarantined for 14 days after your return.

Feedback Score
    The details are that you can still go but you have to be quarantined for 14 days after your return.
    I won't take the risk and trouble to go Spain.
    I will file charge back with credit card company to get my money back

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast