Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Verizon Prepaid - Tax amount?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon Prepaid - Tax amount?

    Question: How much is Verizon Prepaid charging y'all in taxes?

    Scenario: I'm looking at changing to Verizon's $40 Double the Data plan, which doubles the datums from 3GB to 6GB/mo, and includes hotspot. You save $5 by enabling autopay, which makes the price $35 + taxes. Question is, how much is taxes??? Good luck getting a straight answer on that from an official source... I live in Southern California.

    I activated Verizon Prepaid on a spare phone to do some network testing. Out the door, I owed $40.30. Something tells me that my monthly tax charge being only $0.30 is a pipe dream... I'm coming from Metro on a grandfathered (aka, no longer available) $40/mo plan for 5GB data, hotspot included. Hotspot is a must for me. So, by changing plans, I'll get +1GB, and minus some portion of $5/mo, and hopefully a better network...

    Initial results are promising... See below photo for my Speedtest. The left is Metro. The right is Verizon Prepaid.

    Name:  IMG_0301 (2).jpg
Views: 217
Size:  33.7 KB
    Last edited by JuannyBooBoo; 02-23-2020 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Photo didn't appear.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Not sure why my attachment isn't appearing... Screen cap of two phones side by side. One is on Verizon Prepaid. One is on Metro. Below are the results:

    Metro:
    35 ms ping, 2.76 Mbps down, 1.48 Mbps up

    Verizon:
    27 ms ping, 40.9 Mbps down, 39.9 Mbps up.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    228
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well I just activated 3 lines of double data, 16 GB each line. Monthly charge is $105 but I was charged $132.xx for the first month though I thought SIM cards were free as well as shipping. The following month I used Calling Mart so my cost went down to $101 total.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using HoFo mobile app

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DC area
    Posts
    485
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JuannyBooBoo View Post
    Question: How much is Verizon Prepaid charging y'all in taxes?

    Scenario: I'm looking at changing to Verizon's $40 Double the Data plan, which doubles the datums from 3GB to 6GB/mo, and includes hotspot. You save $5 by enabling autopay, which makes the price $35 + taxes. Question is, how much is taxes??? Good luck getting a straight answer on that from an official source... I live in Southern California.

    I activated Verizon Prepaid on a spare phone to do some network testing. Out the door, I owed $40.30. Something tells me that my monthly tax charge being only $0.30 is a pipe dream... I'm coming from Metro on a grandfathered (aka, no longer available) $40/mo plan for 5GB data, hotspot included. Hotspot is a must for me. So, by changing plans, I'll get +1GB, and minus some portion of $5/mo, and hopefully a better network...

    Initial results are promising... See below photo for my Speedtest. The left is Metro. The right is Verizon Prepaid.

    Name:  IMG_0301 (2).jpg
Views: 217
Size:  33.7 KB
    I buy the refill pins and don't pay any taxes. Here in NothernVA I can get the refill pins from Target without any additional taxes. And when I get them on sale I save 14.5% using the Target Redcard.

    Now if I were to buy the refill pins from BestBuy, they will charge me taxes on the refill pins.
    Here is a speedtest I did today around 2PM on Verizon Prepaid. From here in Arlington Virginia.
    Name:  Speedtest_ArlingtonVA_02_25_2020.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  25.9 KB

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    78
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon would charge me 9.75% sales tax, 3% E911 surcharge, and 0.07% ITAC Assessment. I buy from Target and Callingmart to avoid this.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow. So sounds like going w/ refill cards/PINs is the way to go. Thanks all for the tip.

    Wouldn't I not get the -$5/mo benefit by not enrolling in Autopay? Or do you guys enroll in Autopay and just load the account before end of billing period?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,980
    Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JuannyBooBoo View Post
    Wow. So sounds like going w/ refill cards/PINs is the way to go. Thanks all for the tip.

    Wouldn't I not get the -$5/mo benefit by not enrolling in Autopay? Or do you guys enroll in Autopay and just load the account before end of billing period?
    Correct, just enroll in auto pay & then make sure to refill through Callingmart at least a few days before your renewal date each month. You will still need to have a valid CC on file for the auto pay, otherwise Verizon will not give the auto pay discount.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    258
    Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    I buy my husbands refill card at Lowe's and there isn't any tax at all. If I buy at $40 card that's all I pay.
    ~~Teresa ~~

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Springdale
    Posts
    109
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3, Moto G5Plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW Prepaid 15GB/$45
    Feedback Score
    0
    You only get charged sales tax on the amount they have to charge to your credit card if your balance isn't big enough to cover a months charge. If you have a $40 balance and your monthly charge is $45, they charge tax on $5. So if your balance is always $45, there is zero tax. No E911, no local telecomm taxes, nothing. And with no tax on refill PIN"s at Target, it's a deal that can't be beat. When was the last time the advertised price was the total price you paid? (Unless you're a T Mobile customer, but their signal didn't cut it for me so I went to prepaid.)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    82
    Feedback Score
    0
    $5.26 on $50 8.13 percent Orange county tax. Verizon Prepaid has been good to me since 2015. He

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Name:  IMG_0337.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  30.4 KB


    To close the loop... Holy ..... Just ended my first month with VZW Prepaid... see above photo (hopefully it posts correctly)... I'm subbed to the $40/mo plan (for double data of 6GB/mo), and I got billed $35.30 w/ autopay. I will gladly pay $0.30 only per month for tax... (Confirmed as the amount on my credit card too)

    Hopefully it stays that way. Needless to say, in my case here in SoCal, it's not really a huge deal for me to just go autopay.. I am one happy camper.

    Thanks all.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 03-22-2020 at 10:37 PM. Reason: thread edited slightly

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    258
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk BYOP
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JuannyBooBoo View Post
    Name:  IMG_0337.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  30.4 KB


    To close the loop... Holy ..... Just ended my first month with VZW Prepaid... see above photo (hopefully it posts correctly)... I'm subbed to the $40/mo plan (for double data of 6GB/mo), and I got billed $35.30 w/ autopay. I will gladly pay $0.30 only per month for tax... (Confirmed as the amount on my credit card too)

    Hopefully it stays that way. Needless to say, in my case here in SoCal, it's not really a huge deal for me to just go autopay.. I am one happy camper.

    Thanks all.
    Wow your really lucky... here’s what mine looks like as I just came back to Verizon prepaid.

    Due TodayMonthly plan charge

    Subtotal$40.0
    Taxes, government surcharges and fees*$4.38
    UT Prepaid 911 Chg - $1.48
    UT Local Sales Tax - $0.96
    UT State Sales Tax - $1.94
    Shipping costFREE
    Free 2-day by 8 PM

    Total$44.38


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Oh Peter I absolutely love what you've done with the place... It's so sterile, so bland, so wonderful!"

    Queen Latifah

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    269
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    I forgot to load my account with my prepaid cards I bought from Target and was charged an extra $10.81 in taxes and fees. I live in Lincoln Nebraska, we have the highest taxes in our state. I won't do that again that's for sure.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using HoFo mobile app

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,188
    Feedback Score
    0
    Dollar General - Verizon $40.00 refill card E911 fee - $0.00 TAX 1 - $3.39 Total sale - $43.39

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    181
    Feedback Score
    0
    In CO, I have $90 for 3 lines. I pay 1.32 taxes total.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Has anyone noticed a huge increase in Verizon's taxes?
    By rcnacura in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 01:32 AM
  2. Verizon PrePaid?
    By speedster in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 05:25 PM
  3. Verizon Prepaid Freeup Kits
    By aux718 in forum Non GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2003, 12:17 PM
  4. ESN swaps with Verizon prepaid
    By ritmarketer in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2002, 07:53 AM
  5. Question about verizon prepaid, expiration ?
    By zack in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2002, 01:56 PM

Bookmarks