Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Coolpad Surf connect speed?

Feedback Score

Sprint Coolpad Surf connect speed?

I'm currently using Comcast for internet. 150 meg, good service, but NOT CHEAP. Currently paying $55/mo, a promo price which Comcast is promising to RAISE (the cost, not the speed). I recently found this from a local tech org which helps those of low income, like me: https://connectall.org/internet.html Looks like a great deal, $12/mo once the device is bought for $110. Speeds UP TO 150Mbps. Yeah, UP TO. Looking at the coverage map, my location is claimed to have "4G LTE Excellent Signal." But reading a little more online, many are saying that "UP TO" business is about 10X TOO HIGH, and that I'll be lucky to get an actual connection of 15Mbps. Any thoughts on this? I've done some searching, can't find any other ISP's in the area which offer a better deal than Comcast for anywhere near the speed. Are there any ISP options I might be missing? I'm guessing the ~15 speed would be fine for general surfing, but I DL a lot from binary newsgroups (have no cable TV, get all my programming from the NG's) and I think that 15 speed would be slow for that. TIA

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is Sprint LTE. If you get good Band 41 coverage then I'd guess you might see 40-60 mbps. If the best you can get is Band 25, then likely in the range of 15-20 mbps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCalling View Post
    I recently found this from a local tech org which helps those of low income, like me: https://connectall.org/internet.html Looks like a great deal, $12/mo once the device is bought for $110.

I'm guessing the ~15 speed would be fine for general surfing, but I DL a lot from binary newsgroups (have no cable TV, get all my programming from the NG's) and I think that 15 speed would be slow for that. TIA
    I would be concerned about the viability of this being maintained on the Sprint network, considering possible changes with the T-Mobile merger. The Coolpad Surf does seem to have the LTE frequency bands for either, and is offered by both currently.
    https://coolpad.us/surf-sprint-boost/#tech-specs

I am questioning whether the Mobile Citizen service is open to the general public. Seems like CONNECT ALL is some kind of reseller.
    https://mobilecitizen.org/about/overview/

15Mbps is better than I get with my AT&T U-verse Internet service, and hotspotting off the Verizon cellular network. You are going to get speed fluctuations with any cellular network.

Feedback Score
    I have been using this service for about 4years now. Works great for me. I do NOT have a Coolpad surf. So I can't speak to the device itself. Just the service.

It helps if you have line if sight to the tower. I do not, lots of trees in the way. The tower is about 2 miles away. I get about 30Mbps down and 4Mbps up on band 25. Works great for me I can download from a healthy source at 3-4 MB/s more common is 1-2MB/s. Plenty fast for me, and streaming always works great. Obviously YMMV, but I think it is well worth $12/month. I have never noticed any slowdowns or throttling.

edit: words and grammar
    Last edited by radec; 02-26-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Feedback Score
    here is my currently signal strength if that helps:

Signal Strength : 51%
    RSSI : -81 dBm
    ECIO : -11 (RSRQ) dB
    RSCP : -107 (RSRP) dBm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by radec View Post
    I have been using this service for about 4years now. Works great for me.
    Who do you actually pay the monthly bill to? Is it auto-pay, or a manual billing?
    How do you know what LTE band it runs on? Do you have a phone on Sprint as well?

This might be really good for a friend in the boonies who has only an OTA Internet network available. No DSL wired, no cable, and satellite sucks. These types of service have low data caps, so forget streaming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Who do you actually pay the monthly bill to? Is it auto-pay, or a manual billing?
    How do you know what LTE band it runs on? Do you have a phone on Sprint as well?

This might be really good for a friend in the boonies who has only an OTA Internet network available. No DSL wired, no cable, and satellite sucks. These types of service have low data caps, so forget streaming.
    I pay contectall, it is monthly auto-pay. when I first started it was a yearly 120/yr (so 10/month) but a year or so ago they switched to 12/month autopay.
    There is some low income verification, and you have to re-qualify every year or two (they haven't been super consistent about the re-qualification).

The only real issue I have had is that the hotspots seem to break after a while. I have gone through two Netgear Fuses and one Franklin R850. I think they are just cheap consumer devices that aren't exactly meant to be used full time. Or maybe I just have bad luck, I dunno.

Anyway I switched to using an openwrt(goldenorb) router with an LTE modem in it and it is much better. This makes it easier to control what band I am connected on. It's also a lot easier to connect better antennas. Over all it has just been much more stable then the hotspots.

But if you have the Franklin R850, you can also see what band you are connect to and even lock the device to a specific band in the hidden menu: routerIPusally192.168.128.1/hidden

I don't know if you can see the band on the coolpad surf, I never had one.

-radec

Feedback Score
    I don't know if you can see the band on the coolpad surf, I never had one.
    Thanks for your insight!
    Looking at the manual the Coolpad Surf does not show much information about the cell network, but does for it's WiFi output.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com..._coolpad_surf/

Get your point about cheap consumer devices. A friend had a Coolpad phone from MetroPCS and it was real junk.

Will have to look into the income limits to qualify. I qualify for Lifeline phone service, but my friend would not.

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here's the debug screen from my Cool pad Surf.
    Name:  Screenshot_20200227-221650.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  49.8 KB

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the great replies. Love this group! I had thought about the Sprint merger thing, and how this might impact the service. If it's typical for such consolidations, you can bet the USER will be that last entity whose interests will be considered. I've run a speakeasy speed test on my tracfone's (new Moto e5) mobile internet, which I rarely use on that device, got 16.8 Mbps DL, 7.6 Mbps UL. No idea if that's "good" or not for cells, though it's obviously not very fast. Under "Mode", the specs on the phone say "GSM - B2, B3, B5, B8; CDMA - BC0, BC1, BC10; UTMS - B1, B2, B4, B5, B8; LTE - B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B7, B8, B12 ,B13, B17, B20, B25, B26, B28, B29, B30, B38, B41, B66; Verizon Compatible Only" so I'm ASSUMING this is via Verizon. The Verizon coverage map says my location is a "4G LTE coverage area." If that's the case, wouldn't 16.8 Mbps be a little SLOW? Looking at the Sprint data for area coverage (https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?) my home is also in an area described as having "4G LTE Excellent Signal." Looking at the mapping page http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php, there's a cell tower .4 miles from me, while the nearest tower specifically said to be Sprint is 6.3 miles away. Does that make a difference (the closest tower being "non-Sprint?"). How do I know if I'm going to get Band 41 or Band 25? I'm not familiar with those specs. I would totally give this a shot if it weren't for having to BUY the device! An aside: Scumcast typically likes to RENT you THEIR modem. You can of course buy your own, and a GREAT place to hunt for a deal on one is GOODWILL! Got my cable modem there for about 15 bucks, don't recall what their monthly modem rental fee was before that, but I think it was around $12/mo.

Thanks again, let me know if anyone has any more ideas!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post
    Here's the debug screen from my Cool pad Surf.
    Name:  Screenshot_20200227-221650.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  49.8 KB
    Awesome thanks for the screenshot! Great to see that you can tell what band you are connected to on the cool pad surf.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanCalling View Post
    Thanks for all the great replies. Love this group! I had thought about the Sprint merger thing, and how this might impact the service. If it's typical for such consolidations, you can bet the USER will be that last entity whose interests will be considered. I've run a speakeasy speed test on my tracfone's (new Moto e5) mobile internet, which I rarely use on that device, got 16.8 Mbps DL, 7.6 Mbps UL. No idea if that's "good" or not for cells, though it's obviously not very fast. Under "Mode", the specs on the phone say "GSM - B2, B3, B5, B8; CDMA - BC0, BC1, BC10; UTMS - B1, B2, B4, B5, B8; LTE - B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B7, B8, B12 ,B13, B17, B20, B25, B26, B28, B29, B30, B38, B41, B66; Verizon Compatible Only" so I'm ASSUMING this is via Verizon. The Verizon coverage map says my location is a "4G LTE coverage area." If that's the case, wouldn't 16.8 Mbps be a little SLOW? Looking at the Sprint data for area coverage (https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?) my home is also in an area described as having "4G LTE Excellent Signal." Looking at the mapping page http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php, there's a cell tower .4 miles from me, while the nearest tower specifically said to be Sprint is 6.3 miles away. Does that make a difference (the closest tower being "non-Sprint?"). How do I know if I'm going to get Band 41 or Band 25? I'm not familiar with those specs. I would totally give this a shot if it weren't for having to BUY the device! An aside: Scumcast typically likes to RENT you THEIR modem. You can of course buy your own, and a GREAT place to hunt for a deal on one is GOODWILL! Got my cable modem there for about 15 bucks, don't recall what their monthly modem rental fee was before that, but I think it was around $12/mo.

Thanks again, let me know if anyone has any more ideas!
    One thing I would suggest is finding someone who has Sprint ether on a phone or hotspot and just seeing how the LTE service is at your house. Or if you have a sprint store somewhere not too far away, maybe they would let you borrow a device.

For what its worth, I have noticed that you don't need very many bars to get good download speed. I usually got 1 bar on my hotspot and still got good speeds (20-30Mbps down). I'm sure there are other factors but its worth a try.

Feedback Score
    One thing I would suggest is finding someone who has Sprint ether on a phone or hotspot and just seeing how the LTE service is at your house. Or if you have a sprint store somewhere not too far away, maybe they would let you borrow a device.

For what its worth, I have noticed that you don't need very many bars to get good download speed. I usually got 1 bar on my hotspot and still got good speeds (20-30Mbps down). I'm sure there are other factors but its worth a try.
    I have the sprint mifi 8000 and get around 150mbps dL. I know this mifi is much better than the cool surf but can I expect anything somewhat close to that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    I have the sprint mifi 8000 and get around 150mbps dL. I know this mifi is much better than the cool surf but can I expect anything somewhat close to that?

I get about 11mbps dl. Does ConnectAll lock down their devices like other resellers? I wanted to use another’s service in a different hotspot but Sprint said it was locked down. So if ConnectAll doesn’t do this I’ll order again from them

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smokieunc View Post
    I get about 11mbps dl. Does ConnectAll lock down their devices like other resellers? I wanted to use another’s service in a different hotspot but Sprint said it was locked down. So if ConnectAll doesn’t do this I’ll order again from them

Pretty sure all sprint resellers "lock down their devices." As in if you ask Sprint or ConnectAll they will always say the sim is locked and you can't move it to another device, in fact it says so right on the connectall website. But people have been having luck moving the sprint sims to a modem flashed with generic firmware.

So basically to reiterate, my experience is, you wont have any lucking moving your sprint sim between two Sprint branded devices...without calling sprint or connectall and registering the new devices imei on your account. But it does work fine to use your sim in a modem flashed with generic firmware. Just don't go calling sprint or connectall and asking about it, it's not supported.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast