Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are Tracfones still locked out of OS upgrades and patches?

Feedback Score

Question Are Tracfones still locked out of OS upgrades and patches?

We have an LG Ultimate 2 (LG L41C) that we're looking to replace in the near future. When we got it in 2014, Tracfone didn't allow the OS to be upgrade or patched, is that still the case with the phones offered by Tracfone? Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Lots of the newer phones have been getting updates. My J7 Crown S767VL started with Android 8.0, and now it is using Android 9.0. I know there are other phones that is getting is updates too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Lots of the newer phones have been getting updates. My J7 Crown S767VL started with Android 8.0, and now it is using Android 9.0. I know there are other phones that is getting is updates too.
    That's good to hear. Do you think Android 10 (released on Sept. 3, 2019) will be made available to it?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I would not know. I know there was a few phones that is getting Android 10, but I think it was the S series phones tho.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I doubt an old J series (that shipped with 8) will get 10. Newer ones (that shippee with 9) might.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I doubt an old J series (that shipped with 8) will get 10. Newer ones (that shippee with 9) might.
    So basically it's a crap shoot as to whether or not Tracfones get or can be upgraded to newer OS versions.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I know my brother likes to get the Galaxy S series, and I know his phones get the most updates at least.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You will not get updates on the cheaper Tracfones. We have also been receiving security updates. Moto is good about updating their phones themselves.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGeek View Post
    So basically it's a crap shoot as to whether or not Tracfones get or can be upgraded to newer OS versions.
    Same as with any android phone.

Lower end devices get fewer updates for a shorter time period. High end phones get more update for longer.

Some low end phone never get updates, some get security patches. Mid rage get occasional patches and maybe an OS update. Many high end phones get monthly patches and 2 OS updates,

Nothing gets more than 2 OS updates and few get security patches for more than 3 yrs.

That's true if unlocked devices or any carrier branded devices.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone.

At the time we got the LG Ultimate 2 (LG L41C) I think it was one of the high end Tracfone offerings, and it never received an OS update and I'm pretty sure that it never received security updates from LG or Tracfone. I believe that the only way to update that phone was to jailbreak it, which was a violation of Tracfone's Terms and Conditions.

We don't like the fact that smart phones (at least from Tracfone) are basically insecure, and can remain that way. From what you've said it sounds like things haven't really changed in 6 years, so, we're probably going to get a "dumb" Tracfone to replace it.

Feedback Score
    Jailbreak is an ios term. Rooting is the comparable Android term.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    We have an LG Ultimate 2 (LG L41C) that we're looking to replace in the near future. When we got it in 2014, Tracfone didn't allow the OS to be upgrade or patched, is that still the case with the phones offered by Tracfone? Thanks in advance.
    It may depend on the manufacturer and the particular phone. Older phones are unlikely to get much.

My Tracfone branded Moto E5 got an Android update in December 2019 to 8.1.0. I don't recall what it was before. It also got a security patch update in January 2020.

My BYO Moto G6 and LG Phoenix 2 with Tracfone service have both gotten full Android version updates and security patches.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone.

At the time we got the LG Ultimate 2 (LG L41C) I think it was one of the high end Tracfone offerings, and it never received an OS update and I'm pretty sure that it never received security updates from LG or Tracfone. I believe that the only way to update that phone was to jailbreak it, which was a violation of Tracfone's Terms and Conditions.

We don't like the fact that smart phones (at least from Tracfone) are basically insecure, and can remain that way. From what you've said it sounds like things haven't really changed in 6 years, so, we're probably going to get a "dumb" Tracfone to replace it.
    But based on what's posted above, things HAVE changed. A number of newer TF branded phones ARE receiving OTA updates.

Feedback Score
    @OldGeek I didn't see you mention the OS you're on now? I think your phone came with 4.4. You can check the LG website and see if they have anything newer but I doubt it. If they do, there's a tool on there where you can download it from them to your computer, then to your phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    At the time we got the LG Ultimate 2 (LG L41C) I think it was one of the high end Tracfone offerings
    The Ultimate 2 may have been one of TF's better options at the time but it was not a high end phone back then.

The L41C has a 1.2GHz Snapdragon 200 chipset and 1 GB RAM, 8GB storage.

High end phones then would have a SD 801/805/808/810 at 2+ GHz, with 2-4GB RAM and 32GB storage. Phones like the LG G3/G4, Galaxy S5 and Note 4, Nexus 6.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast