Name:  repair-doubt.png
Views: 86
Size:  81.7 KB

Not everyone has the luxury of getting their device repaired at their local Samsung or Apple store. OnePlus, for example, uses FutureTel for repairs to Canadian devices. Thanks to a broken screen on my OnePlus 7T I got to try out the "official" repair experience this month; as a reference for anyone else in the same boat here's how that went:

Friday, February 7th

Sometime in the morning I drop my phone—which in itself isn't entirely unusual—but on this particular occasion the screen hits something directly on the way down.

Hours later I notice what looks like frostbite down the right side of my screen. A visit to a local repair kiosk confirms that it's actually LCD fluid (?) from under the cracked glass, slowly leaking across the entirety of my display. Before the screen becomes unreadable I manage to transfer the local data to a desktop computer, and from there onto another phone.

Sunday, February 9th

After reading through the repair procedure on the OnePlus website I put in my repair request, naively thinking that a confirmation will surely arrive first thing Monday morning.

Tuesday, February 11th

OnePlus promises a reply within 48 hours but I've heard nothing back, so I go on the website for a live chat with their support team. Within 10 minutes or so my request for repair is approved, but now I have to wait another 48 hours to hear back from the Canadian repair facility—FutureTel, in Markham, Ontario.

Thursday, February 13th

FutureTel makes their 48-hour reply window by emailing me a prepaid FedEx shipping label for my phone. I've already purchased a phone mailer from Canada Post so I wrap everything up and drop it off for the overnight ride to the suburbs north of Toronto.

Friday, February 14th

FutureTel receives my phone. They are apparently closed on weekends so no repairs will happen during that time.

Monday, February 17th

It's Family Day in Canada, so FutureTel remains closed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, February 18th

I wake up to an email with a quote for repair. It's not covered by any OnePlus warranty (which I figured) so they're asking for $265.55 CAD for a new screen. I submit payment through their website and presume that my phone enters the queue to be fixed.

Thursday, February 20th

This was unexpected... Exactly seven calendar days after I shipped out my phone (including one statutory holiday) it returns in bubble wrap inside a plain white box. Actually, it's not even my phone, but a new one without retail packaging—or possibly a refurb? The paper document shipped with my phone reads as follows:

WORK PERFORMED: [SWAP]-SWAP DEVICE
REPAIR CODE: SWAP

I give the phone a good once-over for signs of physical wear but to me it looks brand new. Even better was that I got it back so quickly. So, final verdict: FutureTel is fantastic but OnePlus itself has room for improvement.