Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Looking for data/talk for trip to Canada

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    3
    Feedback Score
    0

    Looking for data/talk for trip to Canada

    Anyone have any suggestions for data/talk solutions that work in Canada? I will be traveling there in a few months for 12 days. I need about 5gb of data and 200 minutes of talk.

    I have a Samsung A70 dual-sim phone unlocked. Currently I have TruPhone in one slot but their talk rates in Canada are too high.

    I was thinking of getting T-Mobile's 6gb Simple Choice Mobile Internet prepaid sim for one slot, but I read conflicting comments about whether or not it will work in a phone. Ideally I would get another sim for talk for the other slot. If I can't get anything at a low cost for talk for the other slot, I would be willing to use Google Voice to make calls using mobile data, but I much prefer true cell calls.

    Anyone have any suggestions for data/talk there ... or thoughts on whether the T-Mobile mobile internet sim will work in a phone?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,047
    Feedback Score
    0
    AT&T prepaid $50 plan - https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,274
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PA20 View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for data/talk solutions that work in Canada? I will be traveling there in a few months for 12 days. I need about 5gb of data and 200 minutes of talk.

    I have a Samsung A70 dual-sim phone unlocked. Currently I have TruPhone in one slot but their talk rates in Canada are too high.

    I was thinking of getting T-Mobile's 6gb Simple Choice Mobile Internet prepaid sim for one slot, but I read conflicting comments about whether or not it will work in a phone. Ideally I would get another sim for talk for the other slot. If I can't get anything at a low cost for talk for the other slot, I would be willing to use Google Voice to make calls using mobile data, but I much prefer true cell calls.

    Anyone have any suggestions for data/talk there ... or thoughts on whether the T-Mobile mobile internet sim will work in a phone?
    The T-Mobile data only SIM card WILL work in a phone. I have used a T-Mobile data only SIM card in my phones for 3 years.

    I use GV + Hangouts over data as my ONLY cellular voice and messaging service in the US, Canada, and internationally since March, 2017, and it works great for me. As you mentioned, you can also use the GV app instead of Hangouts for the same purpose.

    If you really want real cellular voice instead of GV over data, you can get a prepaid voice plan in Canada, but they aren't especially cheap.

    Please check for yourself to see if you can find anything better, but I think the cheapest prepaid Canadian 300 minutes with a Canadian phone # will be SpeakOut Wireless from 7-Eleven at $35. See: https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones...o&postcode=L4N

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,949
    Feedback Score
    0

    Looking For Data/Talk For Trip To Canada

    I m on vacation right now and have been happy with Google Fi in the Caribbean. If you can beat their rates, go for it. will say that the last time I was in Canada, which was August of 2019, my mother in laws T-mobile hot spot worked quite for us in Canada.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    369
    Feedback Score
    0

    Looking for data/talk for trip to Canada

    When I was in Vancouver in Dec 2019, I used an AT&T North America prepaid (7 days). I got it from Amazon. The 15 days SIM card is $29.99.

    Unlimited call/text and 22 Gb data.

    It worked really well. I activated while still in the US. Upon arrival in Vancouver, it connected to Rogers.

    AT&T Prepaid Sim Card-Unlimited Talk, Text, and 22GB Data in USA Canada Mexico for 15 Days https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MLZJBD6..._E9HwEbFD955WF

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,274
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    When I was in Vancouver in Dec 2019, I used an AT&T North America prepaid (7 days). I got it from Amazon. The 15 days SIM card is $29.99.

    Unlimited call/text and 22 Gb data.

    It worked really well. I activated while still in the US. Upon arrival in Vancouver, it connected to Rogers.

    AT&T Prepaid Sim Card-Unlimited Talk, Text, and 22GB Data in USA Canada Mexico for 15 Days https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MLZJBD6..._E9HwEbFD955WF
    Actually, for only temporary use on a 12 day trip, that's a pretty good suggestion. Probably the best given here so far.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    3
    Feedback Score
    0
    I thought Howard Forums would come through with some great suggestions, and I was not disappointed! Thanks to all for the replies. I think the AT&T prepaid sim over at the Amazon link posted by Maru is the perfect solution for my needs and it's a reasonable cost. I wish it included tethering, but the fact it doesn't is not a deal breaker.

    I will purchase it closer to the departure date of my trip -- there are already some in my travel party worried about the coronavirus and are contemplating cancelling! Personally, I don't think the virus will be much of an issue in a few months, but who knows.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,750
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PA20 View Post
    I thought Howard Forums would come through with some great suggestions, and I was not disappointed! Thanks to all for the replies. I think the AT&T prepaid sim over at the Amazon link posted by Maru is the perfect solution for my needs and it's a reasonable cost. I wish it included tethering, but the fact it doesn't is not a deal breaker.

    I will purchase it closer to the departure date of my trip -- there are already some in my travel party worried about the coronavirus and are contemplating cancelling! Personally, I don't think the virus will be much of an issue in a few months, but who knows.
    Yeah, I'd wait till the last possible minute on that Amazon SIM. It feels very scammy considering there is no such official AT&T plan, the Amazon reviews repeatedly mention you'll receive printed activation and usage instructions in broken English with the SIM, and it requires activation and customer service via a non-AT&T website, email and phone number.

    One of the respondents in the product Q&A seems to have figured out what this is:

    From: https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions...lQuestionsPage

    "Q: Do these sim cards have expiration dates? Planning a trip back to the states in May 2020. Will these still work then?

    "A: The cards don't have an explicit expiration date - but given how they operate [The owners have a bank of unlimited data ATT accounts, that they link up to the generic SIM they send you to one of their accounts for a given time period]. Would be best to buy them just before you need them and use them within a short time period. It's an interesting business model - not sure how much margin they have and if they'll be around in the future given the aggressive pricing of cellular plans in the US."


    Personally, I've got nothing against a good scam*/unique business model myself, but it might seem prudent to wait as long as possible to guarantee this service is still around when you need it, or else just grab a standard T-Mo or AT&T Prepaid SIM (for quite a few dollars more, unfortunately) direct from T-Mo or AT&T, which includes North American roaming and carries zero risk of not working when you need it!

    (*Scam might be too strong a word for this, but IIRC, the ToS of AT&T and the other major US cell companies preclude users from reselling or leasing the service to others, so in theory AT&T could shut this down at any minute if they caught the seller and chose to do so. OTOH, if the seller is paying his AT&T bills on time, and is a "good customer" AT&T has little reason to notice or care about this.)





    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,750
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I also should second the fact Boz stated earlier in the thread that prepaid ((and postpaid) T-Mobile data only SIMs work just fine in phones. I've been using them in a phones for years for international use before switching my primary T-Mo service from an old grandfathered plan to one that includes no-charge international texting and data.






    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,274
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Yeah, I'd wait till the last possible minute on that Amazon SIM. It feels very scammy considering there is no such official AT&T plan, the Amazon reviews repeatedly mention you'll receive printed activation and usage instructions in broken English with the SIM, and it requires activation and customer service via a non-AT&T website, email and phone number.

    One of the respondents in the product Q&A seems to have figured out what this is:

    From: https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions...lQuestionsPage

    "Q: Do these sim cards have expiration dates? Planning a trip back to the states in May 2020. Will these still work then?

    "A: The cards don't have an explicit expiration date - but given how they operate [The owners have a bank of unlimited data ATT accounts, that they link up to the generic SIM they send you to one of their accounts for a given time period]. Would be best to buy them just before you need them and use them within a short time period. It's an interesting business model - not sure how much margin they have and if they'll be around in the future given the aggressive pricing of cellular plans in the US."

    Personally, I've got nothing against a good scam*/unique business model myself, but it might seem prudent to wait as long as possible to guarantee this service is still around when you need it, or else just grab a standard T-Mo or AT&T Prepaid SIM (for quite a few dollars more, unfortunately) direct from T-Mo or AT&T, which includes North American roaming and carries zero risk of not working when you need it!

    (*Scam might be too strong a word for this, but IIRC, the ToS of AT&T and the other major US cell companies preclude users from reselling or leasing the service to others, so in theory AT&T could shut this down at any minute if they caught the seller and chose to do so. OTOH, if the seller is paying his AT&T bills on time, and is a "good customer" AT&T has little reason to notice or care about this.)
    Thanks for explaining this "deal". It may be fine, but your explanation at least makes it more clear as to what it actually is, so PA20 or others reading this will know what they are signing up for.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    369
    Feedback Score
    0

    Looking for data/talk for trip to Canada

    Seems to me that the AT&T North America SIM cards sold on Amazon are sold as part of a business multiple line account. They’re able to buy those SIM cards, add the plan and resell. That’s why the activation has to be done through the seller because they’re the ones with access to the account.

    That’s also how those preloaded USA prepaid cards in eBay works.

    The card came with an instruction page to register the card on their website - you do this at least 3 days before you want it activated. The purpose of registering is for you to tel them what the date u want the card activated .

    On the day of activation, you insert the card into ur fone and it should then connect to the AT&T network in the USA or Rogers or whatever in Canada.

    When I purchased my SIM card, I bought it planned so that the day I use it and the day I return to the US would still be within the 30-day Amazon return period. If it didn’t work, then I have time to file a complaint with Amazon and get my refund.

    Fortunately, I didn’t have a problem with it.
    Last edited by Maru; 03-02-2020 at 10:48 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    369
    Feedback Score
    0
    BTW, if someone already has a T-mobile post paid account, u get data for free global but supposedly it’s low speed.

    My hubby has a T-mob post paid account I turn on the North America feature whenever we go to Canada and turn it off when we’re back. That feature lets u use your high speed data allowance in Canada. Its $10/mo but pro-rated so he’s charged just $2+ for a one week trip.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    3
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thanks for explaining this "deal". It may be fine, but your explanation at least makes it more clear as to what it actually is, so PA20 or others reading this will know what they are signing up for.
    I appreciate all the concern that this may be shady, but I read all the Q&As at the product page as well as a good number of the reviews as soon as I saw Maru's initial post in this thread. I determined that it was simply a reselling scheme -- and that it worked for the vast majority of customers who left reviews. Further, for many of those who left bad reviews, it appears that they didn't follow the instructions properly to have the sim activated at least 3 days prior to the date they needed to start using the sim.

    This sim works so perfectly for my short term travel needs, that I am willing to put up with what I consider minor steps to get it activated. I wouldn't try to use something like this long-term, but for a few weeks, it's ideal. Also, Amazon does really have good consumer protection so if for some reason it doesn't work out, I feel I can get my money back.

    I will wait until I am 3-4 weeks out from my departure date before ordering to make sure the sellers are still around and in good standing with Amazon. But there is also a possibility the entire trip is cancelled as so many who planned to go are having second thoughts due to the coronavirus. A portion of the trip involves a cruise.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    230
    Device(s)
    Motorola Moto G7, Iphone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Speakout, Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you need voice text only if data is taken care of then Public Mobile (part of Telus) in Canada has unlimited canada wide voice and text for $25/month. Works well for me. Telus has a good network and decent coverage.
    $50 CDN(36US) gives you unlimited talk text canada and usa and 8GB of data.has a good network and decent coverage.

Similar Threads

  1. US pre-paid SIM card with option for Data/Talk/Text
    By djenka2 in forum T-Mobile prepaid
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 01:21 AM
  2. Parents are taking a trip to Canada - best cell phone plan for them?
    By MobileBoost in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 07:56 PM
  3. Best rates for a trip to CANADA....???
    By BigDaveinNJ in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 10:39 PM
  4. Looking for data cable for LG VX 6100.
    By philld6 in forum Other Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 03:13 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 01:32 AM

Bookmarks