Thread: Does VoLTE count against my monthly data cap of 2GB per month?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question Does VoLTE count against my monthly data cap of 2GB per month?

i have an US unlocked Galaxy S9, and it got a software update, where it now supports and uses VoLTE on AT&T's network. Does making a phone call over VoLTE count against my 2GB data cap? (I'm on a really old Mobile Share plan.)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Generally carrriers are telling us that VoLTE doesn't use the Data balance. They are able to account for it.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro & 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No, VoLTE doesn't count against your 2GB data cap.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    OP, did you get the new Android OS 10 update? I just got it on my Galaxy S9+ last night. VOLTE allows for simultaneous data and voice vs. LTE which only uses data. Voice calls don't count toward data usage.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    OP, did you get the new Android OS 10 update? I just got it on my Galaxy S9+ last night. VOLTE allows for simultaneous data and voice vs. LTE which only uses data. Voice calls don't count toward data usage.
    Though 3G on ATT allowed both data and voice at the same time. Just not as fast or as of good of quality.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I am aware of that. I used to be a CS rep for At&t when VOLTE was implemented by them. Simultaneous voice/data was available back when they still offered 2G devices.
    Last edited by veriztd; 03-03-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk214 View Post
    i have an US unlocked Galaxy S9, and it got a software update, where it now supports and uses VoLTE on AT&T's network. Does making a phone call over VoLTE count against my 2GB data cap? (I'm on a really old Mobile Share plan.)
    Nope it does not

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I am aware of that. I used to be a CS rep for At&t when VOLTE was implemented by them. Simultaneous voice/data was available back when they still offered 2G devices.
    I don't think it was all that common. At least it didn't work the last time I had a phone that only supported GSM. Of course, there were a few phones that could support CDMA and data at the same time, but that also wasn't common.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    At&t doesn't now or ever used CDMA technology. Since At&t had 2G, it has always offered simultaneous voice and data and still does today.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    At&t doesn't now or ever used CDMA technology. Since At&t had 2G, it has always offered simultaneous voice and data and still does today.
    I didn’t say att does. I used as an example of some phones that had cdma and still had simultaneous voice and data being possible if uncommon and simultaneous voice and data on 2g gsm being possible if not common back then. The gsm phones I had back then would stop data during a call. The first phone I had that could do both was 3g. Umts. Or is it utms.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    UMTS, and subsequently its evolution to HSPA, which AT&T uses for 3G/4G, are CDMA air interfaces. 100% CDMA technology.

And 2G/GPRS/EDGE never supported simultaneous voice and data.

Surprising they didn't teach this information, particularly the simultaneous voice/data on 3G (it was a constant selling point used by AT&T and T-Mobile vs the others) when you worked there, considering you use that work experience as a basis for many of your replies.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    With 2G, data usage was minimal for almost all devices as they weren't the portable computers that many smart phones are today.

The UMTS and later technologies utilized WCDMA which is similar but not exactly the same as what Sprint and Verizon used. I am well aware of the technology that was used by At&t.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    With 2G, data usage was minimal for almost all devices as they weren't the portable computers that many smart phones are today.

The UMTS and later technologies utilized WCDMA which is similar but not exactly the same as what Sprint and Verizon used. I am well aware of the technology that was used by At&t.
    Pre-iPhone, (which I realize for many of us might as well be the stone age) there were a great many 2G smartphones. Palm OS-based, Windows Mobile, and Symbian.

I used several 2G-only smartphones back in the day, like my Nokia 3600, T-Mo MDA and Dash, AT&T Audiovox 4400, etc., and they definitely were the portable computers smartphones are today, albeit slower and with less capacity.

3G UMTS and simultaneous voice/data was a great leap in usability, but many of us managed before it was a thing.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    When I started working for Cingular in 2001, later renamed At&t, the phones were nothing like today. Back then, there were no text/picture messages, no streaming data/video, no downloadable music, no usable internet interface and all ringtones were monotone. My first smartphone was a Sony Ericsson P800 (I think that was the model #) that did have a physical keyboard known as a thumb pad. That device was considered a PDA. About that time, the Palm Pilot phones/devices were popular.

I remember when At&t first released the original iPhone it was the first phone that required an unlimited data plan and users were not allowed to remove the feature.

The Windows based OS phone failed because Microsoft entered the cell phone market far too late to make a significant impact and implementation of it's custom OS with application developers. I am not sure why the Symbian and PALM OS were killed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    From the media at the time, Palm stuck with their older OS (which wasn't really designed as a phone OS) too long while the newer features went to other systems like Windows Mobile, etc. Then when they finally came out with their newer OS it was a little too late. My first smart phone was the Palm OS Treo. Then the Windows Mobile Treo. Then the iPhone 3G.

Never used a Symbian smartphone.

And, with the benefit of hindsight, Android did it's share in killing other competitors. "Free" for use by phone companies.