Thread: Samsung Updates Disable Tracfones

Feedback Score

Samsung Updates Disable Tracfones

I don't quite have the Big Picture of what is going on, but something is amiss with Tracfone branded Samsung Phones.

I got a new A10e w/ (Verizon) service bundle from QVC and had the phone for a week, on wifi I let it update everything it wanted to, before activating it. A couple days ago I used TF's site to activate it and transfer service from another phone.

It wasn't able to make calls or texts, no cellular service. It displayed "not registered on network" trying to make a call, and showed the right sim # in it but never got the phone # shown. I was on TF chat for about an hour when finally the CSR had a tech call me on another phone line.

Ended up having to do a factory reset then disable wifi (just keep it from using wifi) and disable Samsung's "Galaxy Store" app, "Auto Update Apps" setting, to "Never". It came out of the box already running Pie/9.0. In the process of troubleshooting a new sim was put in and account switched to it, but that had no effect.

The tech on the line told me that they have been having trouble with this for the last year, with this phone and J3, J7 (maybe others I don't recall) that if the Samsung app updates it, phone service is lost. He stated that Samsung fixed it on one phone but not the rest. I don't recall if he told me which phone was fixed.

So now I have a new phone that can't update anything Samsung... something... or other... what is it that I'm missing out on?? The tech did make it seem like there is the possibility that Samsung could fix this in the future but for now, not to let it update Samsung apps. I was given no further info about exactly which app. Does anyone know that?

On a related note, this has Bixby service running but no swipe screen to get to it? Anyone know if I should disable the service vs some way to add the GUI for it?

The way the tech I was speaking to put it, this should be effecting all of (certain model) Tracfone branded Samsung phones so I'm a bit surprised I didn't come across any info about it till now. Is there a master topic out there that covers this issue?
    Last edited by Dave_; 03-03-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
    I got a new A10e w/service bundle from QVC and had the phone for a week, on wifi I let it update everything it wanted to, before activating it. A couple days ago I used TF's site to activate it and transfer service from another phone.

It wasn't able to make calls or texts, no cellular service. It displayed "not registered on network" trying to make a call, and showed the right sim # in it but never got the phone # shown. I was on TF chat for about an hour when finally the CSR had a tech call me on another phone line.

Ended up having to do a factory reset then disable wifi (keep it disabled in this case) and disable Samsung's "Galaxy Store" app, "Auto Update Apps" setting, to "Never".
    I've been helping a forum member with replacing her older non-VoLTE phones with a Samsung A10e and a Moto G6. She played with both phones for a week and decided to use the A10e as her main phone. A week ago, she used Chat to transfer service from her old U2 phone to the A10e. The transfer went fine, phone number and buckets/days got moved correctly, but she couldn't make calls/texts. After several phone calls from TF tech support, one asked her to reset the phone and after that she could make calls/texts. She had been blaming herself for possibly messed up something on the A10e while playing with it. I wonder if it's related to the wider problem that you mentioned.

But on the other hand, later in the week she activated her new Moto G6 with a transfer and ran into the same no calls/texts problem. A reset also fixed the problem with the G6. So I don't know what to conclude.

Feedback Score
    As I recall from my Galaxy S5, the "Galaxy Store" is just a bunch of junk. I'm not surprised that those updates are incompatible with the phones.

The real Samsung updates are from Google Play, I believe, and won't mess up.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The J7 Crown S767VL and the A10e S102DL that I have here still get updates from the Play store and Galaxy store, and they work just fine. Plus I can make and receive phone calls, texts, and even use LTE data with no issues.

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, I bought the same A10e phone and haven't had any problem with it. Have also been doing the Samsung updates when it says they are available.

Feedback Score
    Edit: I'm mistaken. I thought that only the newer version of Samsung's Secure Wifi could have the frequent, annoying notifications disabled, but the factory version can too, it's just buried in a menu where I wasn't looking.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/disa...alaxy_id115189
    Last edited by Dave_; 03-04-2020 at 10:21 PM.