Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saving Tracfone minutes by using Google Voice

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a, Samsung A1e (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Saving Tracfone minutes by using Google Voice

I use Google Voice only for voice calls, but not texting. I may decide to use GV as a common voicemail for my two Tracfone numbers later. I will use GV to make wifi calls when in other countries.

My question is what is the interaction between GV with Google Hangouts and Hangouts dialer for my GV usage? Do I need Hangouts and Hangouts dialer? I would prefer to eliminate both Hangouts and Hangouts dialer as their interaction with GV is somewhat confusing to me.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    My question is what is the interaction between GV with Google Hangouts and Hangouts dialer for my GV usage? Do I need Hangouts and Hangouts dialer? I would prefer to eliminate both Hangouts and Hangouts dialer as their interaction with GV is somewhat confusing to me.
    I think the Google Hangouts app is pre-installed on most Android phone; if not, you can always download it from the Play Store. It was originally intended to be a social networking app. The Hangouts Dialer is not pre-installed, you need to download it.

When you use the Hangouts Dialer to make calls, it will use the GV number in your Google Account, this happens within the app, you won't see the interaction.

I've read that the new Google Voice App replaces the Hangouts Dialer, but I have not used it. I think someone in this forum uses it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I've read that the new Google Voice App replaces the Hangouts Dialer, but I have not used it. I think someone in this forum uses it.
    I have used my GV number and Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer on my tablets for years. With the recent updates to the GV app it, coupled with Duo, has eliminated the need to use Hangouts. I uninstalled both Hangouts and Dialer a couple of months ago.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Works great without Hangouts and Hangouts dialer Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    I have used my GV number and Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer on my tablets for years. With the recent updates to the GV app it, coupled with Duo, has eliminated the need to use Hangouts. I uninstalled both Hangouts and Dialer a couple of months ago.
    Can Duo call regular phone #s using data only like Hangouts and the GV app can?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Haven't tried. I would use GV app. I use Duo for Video calling.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yes, but the other person must have the Duo app as well. The advantage of GV is that the other person does not need to have the GV app for you to call him

Feedback Score
    I also use Hangout Dialer on my phone and its great for saving a lot of Tracfone minutes.

But one problem I have with Hangout Dialer is that when calling automated phone service (like checking Credit Card balance or pay bill by phone) is that when I enter my CC number or account number via Hangout Dialer app, most of time the automated system does not recognize the input numbers.

So have to use Tracfone phone for paying bills and checking Credit Card balance.

Feedback Score
    I use the GV App exclusively and have uninstalled the Hangouts App & Hangouts Dialer. I find the call quality better with the GV App. I have Tracfone as my carrier.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidGuy View Post
    I use the GV App exclusively and have uninstalled the Hangouts App & Hangouts Dialer. I find the call quality better with the GV App. I have Tracfone as my carrier.
    DroidGuy, Do your forward your GV number to your carrier phone number ?

The reason I ask is that I’ve always used GV thru Hangouts as a stand alone separate phone number & texting app.

At one time the GV app was only for forwarding to a Carrier #, as I understand it.

Edit: I read more about the GV app, downloaded & tested it - works great on WiFi and / or cellular data. Answered my own question.

This happened to be on an iPhone 7, I put the GV app on a MOTO G7 as well. Thanks.
    Last edited by trek83; 03-04-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post

Edit: I read more about the GV app, downloaded & tested it - works great on WiFi and / or cellular data. Answered my own question.

This happened to be on an iPhone 7, I put the GV app on a MOTO G7 as well. Thanks.
    I think you will continue to be pleased with GV over WiFi and cell data. I've made the switch 100% from connecting with my carrier number to full VoIP and could not be happier.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    I read more about the GV app, downloaded & tested it - works great on WiFi and / or cellular data.
    I downloaded GV app yesterday and tested it. I didn't like the fact that if I forgot to turn on WiFi or data (I keep them off unless needed) then it appeared to use cell minutes to make the call. With the Hangouts Dialer, it would tell me that there was no connection.

Feedback Score
    Go into the Settings > Calls > Making and receiving calls

The default is Carrier I believe. Change it to the other option. The warnings should become appropriate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Go into the Settings > Calls > Making and receiving calls

The default is Carrier I believe. Change it to the other option. The warnings should become appropriate.
    Except that the other option is "Prefer WiFi and mobile data". I don't have a real cellular phone # on my phones, so I can't test, but I wonder if, with no data connection, it will just default to calling over cellular voice if you have one on your phone?

Feedback Score
    Except that the other option is "Prefer WiFi and mobile data". I don't have a real cellular phone # on my phones, so I can't test, but I wonder if, with no data connection, it will just default to calling over cellular voice if you have one on your phone?
    I've read that GV still needs a very small amount of data to start the process, so being completely cut off from cell data and wifi should leave one dead in the water even if it is set for carrier number. Not sure how the previous poster is having the issue he is having.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast