Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Rogers Launches 5G Network with Galaxy S20

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,528
    Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score
    0

    Post Rogers Launches 5G Network with Galaxy S20

    Name:  rogers-5g.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  127.4 KB

    And access is free, but only until next year.

    Alongside the new trio of Samsung Galaxies—the S20, S20+ and S20 Ultra—Rogers is also launching 5G service in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver. Phase one of the 5G rollout (live as of today) is using 2.5 GHz spectrum, with 600 MHz spectrum support coming later this year.

    To access the new network you'll need compatible hardware and a subscription to a Rogers Infinite plan. Oh, and come March 6th, 2021 you'll have to pony up an additional $15/month for the privilege. Because, Canada? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Sources: iPhone in Canada (1) (2), Mobile Syrup
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,262
    Feedback Score
    0
    The combo is 2A-66A for LTE and n41 on NR. 40 MHz LTE + 20 MHz of TDD NR. It's technically slower than Rogers/Bell/Telus LTE.
    Last edited by sheytoon; 03-06-2020 at 08:44 PM.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,336
    Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is hilarious robbery by the carriers.

    $15/month....to 5G....which is the future and will be replacing the current 4G/LTE network.....

    So the government gave them 2 years to discount 25%....

    Lets say current $65/10GB = $48.75 (with 25% Discount).......add $15 for 5G....and you are back to $63.75.....but they will find another base plan fee or something to get you back there......Canada doesnt innovate....they just keep going back and forth and gouging the hard working taxpayers.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

    Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,702
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    This is hilarious robbery by the carriers.

    $15/month....to 5G....which is the future and will be replacing the current 4G/LTE network.....

    So the government gave them 2 years to discount 25%....

    Lets say current $65/10GB = $48.75 (with 25% Discount).......add $15 for 5G....and you are back to $63.75.....but they will find another base plan fee or something to get you back there......Canada doesnt innovate....they just keep going back and forth and gouging the hard working taxpayers.
    Yeah it's nuts... $15 to access it? wow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,262
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sorry it's actually 30 MHz for LTE and 20 MHz for NR in GTA. Maximum network speed is 900 Mbps.
    Rogers LTE maximum is 1.1 Gbps.
    Bell/Telus LTE maximum is 1.48 Gbps.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    The combo is 2A-66A for LTE and n41 on NR. 40 MHz LTE + 20 MHz of TDD NR. It's technically slower than Rogers/Bell/Telus LTE.
    Last edited by sheytoon; 03-10-2020 at 09:50 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    969
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    In Vancouver, they've got two B2 carriers (10MHz and 15MHz) and 20MHz B4 (66 MFBI) alongside 20 MHz for NR.

    What is odd is I haven't seen any reviews of the service or screenshots even...?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    What is odd is I haven't seen any reviews of the service or screenshots even...?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but BYOD is not supported at this time, right? So the only way to access Rogers 5G is to be on a compatible plan and get an S20 5G from Rogers. That explains why there aren't any screenshots yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Sorry it's actually 30 MHz for LTE and 20 MHz for NR in GTA. Maximum network speed is 900 Mbps.
    Rogers LTE maximum is 1.1 Gbps.
    Bell/Telus LTE maximum is 1.48 Gbps.
    Yikes! This is why I'll wait for SA mode and VoNR to launch before jumping onto 5G.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,262
    Feedback Score
    0
    Are both B2 channels used for LTE in Vancouver? I didn't see 2A-2A-66A_n41A in the UE capability message of the S20. I think only one B2 carrier is supported in the combo. Rogers would probably pick the 15 MHz for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    In Vancouver, they've got two B2 carriers (10MHz and 15MHz) and 20MHz B4 (66 MFBI) alongside 20 MHz for NR.

    What is odd is I haven't seen any reviews of the service or screenshots even...?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    969
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes they are active. Too bad they can't use both or band 7, I hope future releases let more Canadian specific combos be used.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada/Montreal
    Posts
    1,146
    Device(s)
    Iphone 5 iphone 4s Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Anyone tried a speed test on Rogers 5G's network?
    I have a S20 Ultra but im not with Rogers anymore :/
    Real curious to see what kind of speed we'll be getting in Canada...

    Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    475
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by big samm View Post
    Anyone tried a speed test on Rogers 5G's network?
    I have a S20 Ultra but im not with Rogers anymore :/
    Real curious to see what kind of speed we'll be getting in Canada...

    Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
    Yeah, @bsnider001 posted at RFD that he 'was kind of disappointed'.

    His screenshot in Montreal showed:
    183 Mbps download
    42.3 Mbps upload
    16 ms ping
    16 ms jitter
    0.0% packet loss

    Source:
    https://forums.redflagdeals.com/roge...7/2/#p32306364

    Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada/Montreal
    Posts
    1,146
    Device(s)
    Iphone 5 iphone 4s Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow that's pretty weak if you ask me....
    I just did a Speed test right before replying here and get 200+ on Bell's Lte Advance... On my S20 Ultra

    Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,336
    Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    So far 5G isn't what it should be....I've gotten similar if not better speeds on Telus LTE-A with similar ping.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,262
    Feedback Score
    0
    To get faster speeds, we need to wait until early 2021, when n78 gets deployed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    969
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes if enough n78 is actually obtained by Rogers. They currently have tons with the Inukshuk partnership, but that most likely won't be allowed for mobile use as is.

    Don't forget a new phone as well, as the north american s20 doesn't support n78

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [2015] Brightspot Network Samsung GALAXY S5 G900W8 Unlocking to Use with AT&T,Rogers
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2015, 01:24 AM
  2. [2015] Tbaytel Network Samsung GALAXY S5 Unlock Code to Work With Rogers,Solo,Fido
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2015, 05:31 AM
  3. Bell Looking for new phone and ?'s about Rogers 3.5G network
    By Jordan1221 in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 06:12 PM
  4. Just tested Slingbox with N95-3 using 3.5G network (Rogers)
    By kingsingh1973 in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 01:46 PM
  5. Rogers 3.5G network - compatible with 903/802
    By skywalker in forum Sharp
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 11:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks