Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't block calls with ZTE Z233VL flip

Feedback Score

Can't block calls with ZTE Z233VL flip

I like my Z233VL flip as a pocket callbox. When I first got it, it was quiet but then it began getting some spam calls and spam texts. The calls I ignore but have to look at the texts. Some are personal, possibly for people who had the number before me but the worst offenders are commercial and I send them STOP texts. Occasionally they keep texting using a different phone number. I looked for a way to block the calls or texts but couldn't see any way to do it. I can on my smartphones. I wonder why I can't block on this flip.

The default ringer seems to be fixed. Can change ringtones for people on my contact list but seem stuck with the echoey electronic default ringer for unknowns. Otherwise would set the ringer to something pleasant for unknowns so at least they would be easier to listen to when it rings. That's what I did on my smartphones. The only plus of it being annoying is that it marks the call as unwanted.

Sent from my LGL64VL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You should check the app store to see if you can find an appropriate application to resolve it.

As a reminder to all: Product links will be deleted as it would be considered as SPAM.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The ZTE Z233VL does not have an app store if I remember. I don't remember if you can install one manually.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    You should check the app store to see if you can find an appropriate application to resolve it.

As a reminder to all: Product links will be deleted as it would be considered as SPAM.
    I wasn't aware the flip phones like my ZTE are able to install apps from the Google Play store.

If it was a smartphone I would try a whitelist app. My smartphones at least have call blocking included. Since the robocallers change numbers so much, a blocker list would eventually fill up so I usually only block numbers if they're used more than once.

I think the commercial texts were solicited by someone who had the number before me because they sometimes mention names, but I've had the number at least six months. I'm hoping if I can be patient with it, the texts might slow down.

I doubt changing the number would do any good, I've thought of it. It's easy to remember because the last four digits start and end with zero. Disgusts me that these callers can keep calling private numbers.

Sent from my LGL64VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I wasn't aware the flip phones like my ZTE are able to install apps from the Google Play store.
    The OS is not full Android, but "Android derived", so no apps available.

Feedback Score
    text the word Block to 611611 to block numbers - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questio...9-14e74ed343bf

Feedback Score
    shows here you can block/unblock phone numbers - https://dsweb.tracfone.com/611611/help/

Feedback Score
    I visited the Best Buy link and it was a question associated with the Z233 flip. Here's the answer they gave,

Hi. This is Katrina from TracFone Wireless. Yes. You can download the Call Detector App on this phone or text the word Block to 611611. For further assistance, please chat with us using this link http://bit.ly/2qdrKHH. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST. (End quote)

I don't know if any apps can be installed on this flip at all so not sure why the CSR suggested it, but am unsure how texting BLOCK to 611611 could be used to target a specific number. If anyone has used that method on this model flip please let us know how it's done. I will see if I can figure it out.

Question: does anyone know if the Alcatel My Flip allows numbers blocking? I have one but not currently activated. It was only activated a few days before switching the number to the ZTE flip.

Sent from my A576BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I don't know if any apps can be installed on this flip at all so not sure why the CSR suggested it, but am unsure how texting BLOCK to 611611 could be used to target a specific number.
    Tracfone CSRs say a lot of incorrect things out of ignorance.

Feedback Score
    I don't recall the MyFlip to have number blocking. Or any other flip for that matter. I could be wrong. But flip phones seem to be geared to the "non-executive" type of person who is mostly using the phone as an old-fashioned phone. Nothing wrong with that. I doubt if the firmware can handle much.

I tried to import a Gmail contact list into the MyFlip. There is a provision to do that. It contacts Gmail (I used WiFi). Everything seemed to be OK, but the contacts didn't load at all. I think I also tried Bluetooth from an Android. It seems OK but nothing loads.

I think that's what happened. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    I just got this private message from TF Alex,

We're sorry to know you are experiencing some issues with your phone. Allow us to help you. You may text the word SPAM to short code 611611. This service allows you to block unwanted callers. For us to further assist you, feel free to chat with us using this link http://bit.ly/2qdrKHH. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST. Thank you! (End quote)

Maybe when you text spam to 611611, they text back to ask what number you need to report.

Sent from my LGL163BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    It leads to an app for smartphones, and not even the one developed for Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    I checked my deactivated Alcatel My Flip and couldn't find a way to block calls on it either.

Since it does WiFi I checked the Kai store for a related app but couldn't find one. Lots of little apps that could be fun or useful designed for the flip phone format but no call blocking.

Really a whitelist would be best, only contact list allowed through so don't have to keep blocking numbers. Seems that'd be much easier.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Blocking a number has little affect since you'll just get a call from a different number. When you answer a robo/spam call you'll be even more inundated by these calls because they'll see someone answered.
    Just don't answer a call if it's from someone not on your contact list. If you're expecting a call from someone not on your list, (ie auto repair shop), just temporarily add them.

Nature of the beast. Robo/spam calls are the least of your worries with cell phones.

Feedback Score
    I decided to combine my two TF accounts into one and delete the spammy number on my ZTE flip replacing it with my smartphone number. I figure it'll let me keep the number I like best that usually doesn't get weird texts but use it with the flip format. I can use my Google Voice number via WiFi on my smartphones and for texting, as well as check email using WiFi so it'll be ok having my main TF number on a flip.

I also installed the TextNow app so I can see how I like that. It's strange because the number I chose from their list has the last four digits (not the prefix) of a TF number I had a couple of years ago. TextNow seems to work okay but it's got a lot of advertisements. I'd never pay to remove those unless I knew I was going to keep the number. Some of the similar apps it said in reviews that they periodically take the number back, I hope that doesn't happen.

Basically I'm trying to figure out what will be most economical and not have to carry more than one phone when I go out, and a flip is pocket friendly. I only use WiFi connected numbers or internet at home.

Sent from my LGL163BL using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast