Thread: How to get tracfone to lift Verizon smart family restrictions.

Feedback Score

How to get tracfone to lift Verizon smart family restrictions.

Hi. I ported in a sprint number to an existing tracfone line on a moto Z2 I've been using with tracfone for the last couple of years (verizon Z2, on Verizon towers).

I get the following message "Announcement 24 "This call cannot be completed because there are restrictions on this line" " nor can I text.

Googling this message shows that this is Verizon Smart Family restrictions service.

I'v never had this issue before and as bizarre as it is that it is/was placed on my account, all searches indicate this is the problem.

Dealing with tracfone customer service has been a nightmare, as they simply seem to go through the same script over and over again, following the same steps. I'v implored the rep that I'm currently on the phone with to contact verizon or let me speak to a supervisor, but alas we're on minute 37 and still waiting. The supervisor is on another call, and the rep informs me every minute or two that there is no response from verizon.

I'm curious if any other tracfone users have had this problem (I'v never heard of it), or have suggestions on how to proceed with tracfone's customer service. I have my doubts that Verizon will be of any help in re: to a MVNO customer as I was shut down in their chat (although I may still try visiting a local verizon dealer).

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I did some searching since I have never heard this before myself, and it looks like Verizon Smart Family restrictions is a parental control on the cell tower/carrier level. So either that line you ported over had some parental control or somehow the parental control got enabled. Not sure till I do more searching.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    it looks like Verizon Smart Family restrictions is a parental control on the cell tower/carrier level. So either that line you ported over had some parental control or somehow the parental control got enabled. Not sure till I do more searching.
    Yep, you can only make calls (or texts) to approved numbers on a list (on an account I can't access), so that minors are restricted to specific numbers.

I never had any parental controls on the sprint line, so this is just bizarre to me. The tracfone rep finally got in touch with a verizon rep and I have a verizon ticket out, so I guess we'll see what happens.

My other tracfone sim (verizon towers) works fine in the same phone, so if worse comes to worse I'll just open a new line and transfer all the minutes/data/texts over, but I have got to say this has been a very odd experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by waveman56 View Post
    Yep, you can only make calls (or texts) to approved numbers on a list (on an account I can't access), so that minors are restricted to specific numbers. I never had any parental controls on the sprint line, so this is just bizarre to me. The tracfone rep finally got in touch with a verizon rep and I have a verizon ticket out, so I guess we'll see what happens. My other tracfone sim (verizon towers) works fine in the same phone, so if worse comes to worse I'll just open a new line and transfer all the minutes/data/texts over, but I have got to say this has been a very odd experience.
    do you have the Verizon smart family app installed on your phone ?? see here - https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...t-family-faqs/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    do you have the Verizon smart family app installed on your phone ?? see here - https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...t-family-faqs/
    I have a "Verizon" app, on the stock phone, I'll check and see if it has any smart family options.

I threw a different tracfone (verizon towers) sim in the Z2 and it works fine. The previous rep and her supervisor both claimed the restriction was based on the IMEI, but I think this highlights the fact that it is on the line I ported, not the device.

Feedback Score
    I'll probably just abandon the number and transfer the minutes/text/data from it. It's unfortunate that a simple port has turned into such a fiasco and won't be able to keep the number, but I'm coming up on day 6 of this B.S......pretty ridiculous.

Feedback Score
    You might get better results if you contact Corporate or file with the BBB. I wouldn't give up my phone number even if it meant another week of hassle. You need a professional when dealing with Verizon.

You could try transferring to a new SIM, although that might not help.

I once ported out of a failed (T-Mobile) MVNO. It went to H2O first (worked OK) and then to Tracfone/AT&T. Something wasn't right, I don't remember what. The BBB agent found out that something was wrong with the first port and it had carried through. The agent had me on a conference call with everybody and I read them all the SIM numbers and they did all the ports again. That fixed it, but all the resetting wiped out the buckets on the new SIMs she had been sending me. But eventually it got straightened out. The out-of-service messages kept changing, so I could tell that something was happening. It wasn't funny at the time. The BBB lady worked hard for me, and she had a bad cold.

A few weeks from now, it will be just another bump in the road.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply Lisme, but I just let the number go. It was the simplest way to resolve the situation and most peeps contact me through my GV number which is linked to the TF number anyway.

Feedback Score
    Good decision.