Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone having GPS issues recently?

Feedback Score

Is anyone having GPS issues recently?

For the past few weeks or so, my Galaxy Note 8 just will not stay connected to GPS. I have issues with Google Maps, Waze and Pokemon Go. If I toggle location off and on, things work fine for a while, but eventually it loses connection again.

I saw on Reddit that others have been experiencing this same issue with their Note 8 so I asked which carrier they were with. Turns out that all are with Verizon.

Just a bit ago, I was browsing the subreddit for the Galaxy S20 and saw that people were complaining of the same issue. When I asked, the couple of people who responded are also on Verizon.

I know we're talking about a small sample size, but it can't be a coincidence that 10 people are all having the same issue and it's with a Samsung phone on the Verizon network.

Has anyone else been having GPS issues on Verizon lately?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Is anyone having GPS issues recently?

We have Verizon and my wife and I drive to work using Waze every day (~5 to 6 combined hours per day). No issues here. iPhone XSM & 11 Pro.

Recent Android or Samsung security update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    I am using the Samsung S20 for driving, Verizon network, and I have no issues.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Based on the responses to the OP's question, it is likely the phone that is the issue and not the network. I can't tell if it is an application or a hardware issue.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Based on the responses to the OP's question, it is likely the phone that is the issue and not the network. I can't tell if it is an application or a hardware issue.
    2 people respond that they aren't having issues and you determine it must be an issue with my phone?

Did you miss the part where I mentioned multiple responses from people on Verizon having issues?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmz768 View Post
    2 people respond that they aren't having issues and you determine it must be an issue with my phone?

Did you miss the part where I mentioned multiple responses from people on Verizon having issues?
    GPS is a stand alone radio that has nothing to do with a cellular network. You can do navigation without a cellular network by using WiFi or downloadable maps. Check your GPS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tcross.gpstest

Feedback Score
    GPS on cellphones is not always standalone. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No problem a Pixel 2

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I based my statement on my experience troubleshooting cellular phones for another cellular company and my personal experiences. I didn't make up my reply without some basis on that. By the way, your welcome.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For the past few weeks or so, my Galaxy Note 8 just will not stay connected to GPS. I have issues with Google Maps, Waze and Pokemon Go. If I toggle location off and on, things work fine for a while, but eventually it loses connection again.

I saw on Reddit that others have been experiencing this same issue with their Note 8 so I asked which carrier they were with. Turns out that all are with Verizon.

Just a bit ago, I was browsing the subreddit for the Galaxy S20 and saw that people were complaining of the same issue. When I asked, the couple of people who responded are also on Verizon.

I know we're talking about a small sample size, but it can't be a coincidence that 10 people are all having the same issue and it's with a Samsung phone on the Verizon network.

Has anyone else been having GPS issues on Verizon lately?
    10 Samsung Phones having GPS issues means nothing it could also indicate Samsung has had a bad batch of phones go out with GPS issues. It is either going to be a defective phone or a bad firmware update that effects the Verizon Wireless variants of the Galaxy Note 8. I would recommend calling Verizon Wireless or Samsung to start the process to send your phone in for the factory warranty. If you are still having issue call back so Verizon Wireless can further investigate the issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    GPS on cellphones is not always standalone. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking
    Yes, there are other ways mobile device location can be tracked. Satellite GPS is the primary method used by navigation apps and such, and they don't work without it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    It is either going to be a defective phone or a bad firmware update that effects the Verizon Wireless variants of the Galaxy Note 8. I would recommend calling Verizon Wireless or Samsung to start the process to send your phone in for the factory warranty.
    A Samsung Note 8 will not still be under warranty coverage today. That device has been replaced by the Note 9 and the Note 10. Warranty coverage is over for that device. The only help Samsung may provide would be related to the installed applications and not hardware issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, there are other ways mobile device location can be tracked. Satellite GPS is the primary method used by navigation apps and such, and they don't work without it.
    I’m aware. I’m simply offering that it’s possible one of those other methods could possibly affect the accuracy of the satellite result, even if in a negligible amount.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I based my statement on my experience troubleshooting cellular phones for another cellular company and my personal experiences. I didn't make up my reply without some basis on that. By the way, your welcome.
    No offense, but your personal experiences are pretty much useless in this instance.

First off, There is another thread posted just yesterday with several people having the issue. You'll find it over in the Galaxy Note 8 forum on Reddit.

Secondly, I contacted Verizon and received a warranty replacement yesterday. This phone is doing the exact same thing as the previous phone.

This is 100% something to do with a recent update Note 8 users and those with some other model phones received. Right now it appears to be limited to Samsung phones on the Verizon network.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast