Thread: Help: Sync Google account with iPhone 11

Feedback Score

Help: Sync Google account with iPhone 11

I just purchased a new iPhone 11 - 64GB and have my primary Verizon SIM in the device and I have an eSIM activated on a Canadian carrier.

I have a Google account (no GMail) and I have photos, videos and contacts synced. With my Android device, I would go into my settings, add an account, select Google and then I would select the items I wish to sync - contacts etc...

With iPhone, I click on accounts and select "add account" and I choose "Google", it then redirects me to the Google page and I enter my login credentials and it quickly flashes a page asking what I wish to sync and it has mail, contacts and calendar selected as default and before I can do anything, it goes back to the "add account" page and nothing is retained.

I cannot figure out why it's essentially cancelling the setup and not retaining anything. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Thank you for the input. Unfortunately, this is good information but I'm more interested in the default application for syncing my contacts. I have some of the apps Google provides through the "App Store" but unfortunately, there's nothing which allows me to sync my contacts and this should be possible through the native app supplied by Apple.

I phoned Apple support who stated it should work but even with a factory reset, I'm still encountering the same error. Not too sure what my option is to resolve as there's definitely a workaround but I don't wish to create redundant gmail accounts etc... just to get a service functioning which should work through the installed default app.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your prompt response. This does work assuming you want to use iCloud. Another option is to add an account, choose "Other" and then for server, enter "google.com" along with your logon credentials and it will pull in all your contacts. Both are great workarounds but it's odd how the native "Google" account function will not work.

Much simpler with Android but in all honesty, I'm a fan of both OS's but I just prefer the simplicity of iPhone over that of Android. 6 of one, half a dozen of another and everyone has their opinion but I'm pretty neutral! Yes, iPhone is missing some functionality but in adding it, they would essentially compromise their stellar OS defeating their overall purpose of security so I see why!

Thank you again for all the help! Much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    You're welcome.

Wouldn't it be dead bang easy if you had a Gmail acct?

Feedback Score
    You're welcome.

Wouldn't it be dead bang easy if you had a Gmail acct?
    Yes, that would make it easier but I'm somewhat of a simple person lol... I've had my email since I was a kid and it's a professional one thereby not requiring me to ever change it. I like many of the Google features and did not see the need to create an email through their service. In fairness, I checked but the username was in use; therefore, I never tried setting up an alternate email as I did not see the need.

I was able to get my contacts synced using the CardDAV feature under the add account "other" option. This is perfect but the downfall is I have a proprietary application which uses an export feature and the MAPI protocol to convert business data into a PDF presentation (document) and auto-email it to all the regional directors. Problem is that the PDF opens through this program (intermediate layer) and will display to the group through a conference session.

The application runs properly but due to a program upgrade which flags something with the Apple security, Apple will allow the program to run on iOS but when the mail comes through, it will attempt to open the PDF through the program and Apple prompts stating it cannot be opened through the iOS app but must be done through the desktop site. This is not possible as the desktop site does not allow PDF viewing so it essentially halts.

In the interim, I'm back to Samsung (Android) until the developers at my organization can patch the software so it's usable on iOS. A sad day for me LOL.

I greatly appreciate all your help!

Feedback Score
    Set up a Gmail acct. & only use it for sync purposes?