Thread: Rebranding

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

Rebranding

I bought an iphone from Simple Mobile over the weekend so I called Trac today to rebrand it and have it activated on Trac. I gave the rep all the info and the rep said she rebranded it but that she was sorry because I needed to purchase an AT&T Trac sim card so they could make it work. She had even put me on hold to speak with a supervisor.

I was ??? you have got to be kidding me.

So I hung up double checked the Simple Mobile coverage maps and even called Simple to ask who they used - Tmobile.

Called back Trac and explained but while I did that I also put the existing sim card into the iphone and it worked. I was ready to hang up and just go about my business but the new rep wanted to double check that everything was working correctly which was worth the extra time.

I guess the reps aren't all that familiar with all the brands they have, lol.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I bought an iphone from Simple Mobile over the weekend so I called Trac today to rebrand it and have it activated on Trac. Called back Trac and explained but while I did that I also put the existing sim card into the iphone and it worked.
    Is the existing/active SIM card from a TF-branded phone or BYOP? What make/model is that phone? If it's a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM, you can swap it into the Simple Mobile iPhone and use it; it's not "kosher" in TF's view because a BYOP SIM shouldn't be used in a branded phone, but functionally it'll work. If it's from a TF-branded phone, it's still paired to the original phone in TF system, so don't sell/give away that phone because if the new owner activate it with a new SIM, TF will deactivate the original SIM which is being used in your iPhone.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Is the existing/active SIM card from a TF-branded phone or BYOP? What make/model is that phone? If it's a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM, you can swap it into the Simple Mobile iPhone and use it; it's not "kosher" in TF's view because a BYOP SIM shouldn't be used in a branded phone, but functionally it'll work. If it's from a TF-branded phone, it's still paired to the original phone in TF system, so don't sell/give away that phone because if the new owner activate it with a new SIM, TF will deactivate the original SIM which is being used in your iPhone.
    I have Tmobile service w/Trac hence I knew I could use a Simple phone. The fact that the rep and a supervisor said it wouldn't work because I needed an AT&T sim to make it work showed a complete lack of understanding on their part. How would a Simple phone be locked to AT&T service?

The prior phone I switched from was a Moto G7 unlocked from Motorola.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I have Tmobile service w/Trac hence I knew I could use a Simple phone. The fact that the rep and a supervisor said it wouldn't work because I needed an AT&T sim to make it work showed a complete lack of understanding on their part. How would a Simple phone be locked to AT&T service?

The prior phone I switched from was a Moto G7 unlocked from Motorola.
    Makes no sense to use an AT&T SIM unless you want that service instead of T-Mobile. What happens if you do a compatibility check online? With the "I have a Tracfone phone" choice it asks for the IMEI. If the phone was re-branded it should recognize that. The other choice is "I'm bringing my own smartphone" and asks for a SIM number. Use the SIM number that came with the Simple Mobile phone.

Your Moto G7 BYOP phone should not be locked to Tracfone. Just the SIM is, so you could use the phone again after swapping the SIM to the iPhone.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Makes no sense to use an AT&T SIM unless you want that service instead of T-Mobile. What happens if you do a compatibility check online? With the "I have a Tracfone phone" choice it asks for the IMEI. If the phone was re-branded it should recognize that. The other choice is "I'm bringing my own smartphone" and asks for a SIM number. Use the SIM number that came with the Simple Mobile phone.

Your Moto G7 BYOP phone should not be locked to Tracfone. Just the SIM is, so you could use the phone again after swapping the SIM to the iPhone.
    I'm all set but if I followed the rep's instructions I'd still be waiting for a Trac sim in the mail and to call them back.

Honestly it was the great knowledge of posters here - hpham and yourself that gave me what I needed to know in order to order the phone comfortably. That info is invaluable.