Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $20 month Verizon data plan for hotspots and modems.

Feedback Score

$20 month Verizon data plan for hotspots and modems.

I just got a Mofi modem and added the "unlimited" plan (really 15G) for $20 month. This is supposed to be half price because I have Do more Unlimited phone plans. Is $20 the half price and other's pay $40? Or am I supposed to get it for $10.

Finally comparing data speeds on my phone vs the Mofi, the phone is 25M download while the Mofi is 10 max. Is Verizon limiting download speed on this plan?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by littleboss View Post
    I just got a Mofi modem and added the "unlimited" plan (really 15G) for $20 month. This is supposed to be half price because I have Do more Unlimited phone plans. Is $20 the half price and other's pay $40? Or am I supposed to get it for $10.

Finally comparing data speeds on my phone vs the Mofi, the phone is 25M download while the Mofi is 10 max. Is Verizon limiting download speed on this plan?

Thanks
    You should be getting a $10 credit on your bill with the total charge being $10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mloboy View Post
    You should be getting a $10 credit on your bill with the total charge being $10.
    Thanks. I will take a look at my next bill and make sure it's on there

Feedback Score
    I've not seen any documentation or FAQS that would indicate throttling, so probably other differences are in play with your MoFi.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I will see what I can find on the Mofi thread

Feedback Score
    Sure, please report back with anything you learn?

I'm on an old plan but am thinking about doing something similar: switch to DoMore (for my phone) and then add at least 2 hotspot lines @ 15GB each. Instead of using a Mofi, I'll use a different router solution, but basically the same idea.

AFAIK, the Mofi shouldn't be getting throttled, so maybe check your antennas / firmware / etc if you haven't already.

Feedback Score
    I'd suggest switching between the verizon and the generic firmware and seeing which one works better.
    However the mofi4500 uses a mc7455 which is only a LTE cat 6 modem so there is the possibility that there are newer bands in the area that your phone can use that the mofi can't

Feedback Score
    I have two of these "add ons" New 8800L's. $20/mo each, less a $10 credit per month each. Data speeds are slower than my iPhone XSM. Not sure if the MiFi's are de-prioritized or just not as good.

HARD throttle down to ~0.5MBit/sec after 15GB. Netflix and other video services limited to ~3-5Mbit/sec.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I have a similar Connected Car Unlimited plan for $20 that is really 15GB’s. It actually comes out to $15 per month after $5 autopay discount.

It too seems heavily deprioritized compared to regular smartphone data plans; it’s either this or the modem used in my car is simply incapable of getting higher speeds.

If often loses service completely or offers paltry 800 Kbps download speeds over LTE. My coworker on Verizon gets much faster speeds on his iPhone X.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Pretty sure that Verizon is not throttling your "jetpack line" (connected device plan) until you reach the 15GB limit since you get "premium data" up until that point.

Check this out:

If you have phones with current unlimited plans: you can choose either an unlimited plan or the ...

Unlimited Connected Device Plan

- Premium Unlimited 4G LTE Data (+15 GB premium data)*
    - ... blah blah ...

* On 4G LTE, after allotment/GB/line/month, in times of congestion, data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ice-plan-faqs/

Feedback Score
    Well, it can be ludicrous, super, plaid premium extreme, but my nearly two year old iPhone, with a crappy intel model is still way faster (on VZW). As is my 3yr old mr1100 on my AT&T unlimited plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    IIRC the built in car modems are typically far behind modern cellular tech even on a new vehicle. The connected car devices aren't a lot better, like the current HumX gen2 is only LTE cat 4 while the current 8800l is cat 18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Well, it can be ludicrous, super, plaid premium extreme, but my nearly two year old iPhone, with a crappy intel model is still way faster (on VZW). As is my 3yr old mr1100 on my AT&T unlimited plan.
    LOL, the Verizon Marketing Department could make great use of your wordsmithing talents....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post

I know another poster was referring to a connected car, but I was referring to my two, brand new, 8800L’s.

Like I said my iPhone XSM (on VZW) and MR1100 (on T) are both faster.

Feedback Score
    Why a connected car should have better download speeds that that?
    Is not supposed to be in place of a phone connection, only for maps and eventual music streaming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast