Thread: Terrible speeds in los angeles ca.

Feedback Score

Terrible speeds in los angeles ca.

I decided to give At&t a try coming from metro pcs . And yes those are At&ts speeds all over LA. As u can see i havent even been throtled. Supposedly that plan after 100 gigs they slow u down ? I used way less and still getting those speeds with full bars 5Ge... Its not my phone we got a family plan I got an LG g8thinq , mom got the note 10 plus 5G the one that runs on their new low band 5G and my dad iPhone 11.
    All 3 phones same speeds even on the note 10 which is the one that support low band 5G. When it does have a lowband 5G signal speed is the same.
    Seriously not even metro was this slow . and also signal is Very weak inside stores like I mean terrible. I drop down to "4G" which I read is 3G . but nothing works and i mean Nothing. Today I was inside target and had to call my mom . my phone was switching back and forth between 1 little bar 5Ge and 4G . and all calls failed. Its been crappying out everywhere metro had working signal . is this an LA thing only ?? Or is At&t good in other places?

I cant even load some apps or music when i connect my phone to my cars bluetooth because it keeps stoping .
    Same with uber and google maps they stop loading halfways since its so slow and it screws up the navigation

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    First, is this just one location? Hard to believe it’s an entire city. 5Ge signifies a cluster of sites within a geographic area being upgraded. Not all of them. The site you’re on in that screenshot seems to have B12 only. That’s basically nothing in terms of capacity needed today.

Second, the LG G8 is not great as an RF performer IME. My 11 Pro consistently delivers higher DL and UL.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Band 2 aint much better either
    Aint it supposed to have more capacity ? And I'll take one when im on band 4
    Its the same thing.
    And I doubt its my phone
    U say iphone 11 is better
    But like i said its 3 of us and one of us has an iPhone 11 and the other a Samsung now that I think bout it the iphone 11 is probably the worse one in places the lg and samsung have 5ge the iphone has 4G
    And same speeds on all 3 all over LA.
    This is deff disappointing . .. And its basically all over LA . east la, Montebello , commerce, pico rivera , alhambra and monterrey Park (those 2 are atrocious) literally no bars even standing outside the LA fitness . Hollywood and santa monica im surprised its not usable there those are touristy places.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Wonder how Verizon, AT&T & T-Mobile tied for 1st place with Rootmetrics just 1 year ago? Are they all that bad in LA?

https://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/ro...les-ca/2019/2H

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Wonder how Verizon, AT&T & T-Mobile tied for 1st place with Rootmetrics just 1 year ago? Are they all that bad in LA?.....
    I see a lot of complaints about T-Mobile's speeds in L.A. No first-hand experience.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I see a lot of complaints about T-Mobile's speeds in L.A. No first-hand experience.
    My coworker has tmobile and its slow but a little faster than At&t

Feedback Score
    Are you sure your APN and other network related details are set correctly after your switched? What time of day are you testing? Is this a new physical SIM from an AT&T store or corporate?

Try testing first thing in the morning (5 or 6am). Also, I find that Ookla can give a highly variable results. Try SpeedSmart, Fast.com, and Coverage Map.

Did you get a carrier update after switching to AT&T? What carrier was Metro PC using before?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So here is what I found for carriers in LA.

T-Mobile is a bit on the slow side around LA but near UCLA data speed is Very slow.

AT&T does seem to do well in many areas of LA but I guess not all.

Sprint also does seem to do well not super fast but not as slow as T-Mobile can get.

I have not tested Verizon though.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity Double Play with 140+ channels and 200 Meg Per Second Internet.

Landline: Google Voice

Mobile Entertainment: Visible as my Primary, Sprint as my secondary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Are you sure your APN and other network related details are set correctly after your switched? What time of day are you testing? Is this a new physical SIM from an AT&T store or corporate?

Try testing first thing in the morning (5 or 6am). Also, I find that Ookla can give a highly variable results. Try SpeedSmart, Fast.com, and Coverage Map.

Did you get a carrier update after switching to AT&T? What carrier was Metro PC using before?
    Physical sim from AT&T corporate store .
    All 3 phones have very bad speeds and reception LG, samsung and iPhone. Screen shots I posted I've done at regular times i can say 10 am , 12 , 3pm etc. I've done speed tests at 1am or 2am and those were better 20 mbps.
    Also another thing that's Killing me is the indoor reception. Its terrible . like I said in my other comment inside target I couldn't call. Same in many other places indoors . heck yesterday I was in Denny's in Maywood close to east LA and had 1 little bar and hardly any working data and calls didn't connect I had one little bar 5Ge. Beyond frustrating seriously its like 2000 all over again . I haven't had problems like this in years . metro uses tmobile I never had problems like this I always had working indoor service. My mom and dad are also beyond frustrated same problems with them they said they gonna be canceling At&t and going back to metro . my mom said she went from having full bars at work with metro to having very weak signal on At&t that barely works , Come to think of it I think I've made a mistake . on reddit i found the At&t Forum and going over it i found people also in los Angeles and they all write how they have the same exact problems with At&t in LA slow data, no signal in buildings and dropped calls . i guess LA is just bad for At&t in general. Dam.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpdx17 View Post
    So here is what I found for carriers in LA.

T-Mobile is a bit on the slow side around LA but near UCLA data speed is Very slow.

AT&T does seem to do well in many areas of LA but I guess not all.

Sprint also does seem to do well not super fast but not as slow as T-Mobile can get.

I have not tested Verizon though.
    One of my aunts has Verizon and i never heard her complain im going to ask her how service is on Verizon .

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    I think you need to ask a few people around you what they are getting ,

might be your phone , might be the APN settings , Did you take it back to ATT store and ask them ?
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple iPhone Xs Max, Apple iPhone X, Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I agree service on AT&T in Monterey Park, CA is atrocious. T-Mobile works much better here because they have a dense network. Verizon works ok better then AT&T but data speeds are still slower then T-Mobile but much faster then AT&T. Verizon is usually on Band 13 by Monterey Park Hospital. I have T-Mobile & Verizon on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and an iPad Air 3 on AT&T. Even though the iPad displays 5Ge for data the speeds are much slower then anticipated here at home by the hospital.