Dish Lends 600 Spectrum to T-Mobile for 60 Days

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/covid...213900400.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is that a LTE band? I bet my phone is too old to use it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by below20 View Post
    Is that a LTE band? I bet my phone is too old to use it.
    It's LTE band 71 at 600 MHz. If your phone is more than a couple of years old it probably doesn't have it. You can look up your phones specifications to see if you have it. It makes a big difference in filling in T-Mo's previous dead zones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It's LTE band 71 at 600 MHz. If your phone is more than a couple of years old it probably doesn't have it.
    Some phones currently being sold still don't have B71. Moto G7 and iPhone 8 are examples. I looked into this recently and saw current T-Mobile branded phones have it, but other versions of the same model may not. I assume it's because the FCC had not yet cleared out the old TV stations that had used that frequency until fairly recently.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    ....... I assume it's because the FCC had not yet cleared out the old TV stations that had used that frequency until fairly recently.
    I think it's just that other carriers aren't using band 71 and don't want their customers to be able to take their phones to T-Mobile. Or they don't see any reason to make the band available to their customers.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Some phones currently being sold still don't have B71. Moto G7 and iPhone 8 are examples. I looked into this recently and saw current T-Mobile branded phones have it, but other versions of the same model may not. I assume it's because the FCC had not yet cleared out the old TV stations that had used that frequency until fairly recently.
    T-Mobile has been deploying band 71 for 2 1/2 years now. Iphone 8 come out 2 1/2 years ago so it's old by phone standards. Motorola is well Motorola.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I think it's just that other carriers aren't using band 71 and don't want their customers to be able to take their phones to T-Mobile. Or they don't see any reason to make the band available to their customers.
    I was mostly thinking about non-carrier phones that don't have B71, rather than carrier models that might just have it locked out by the manufacturer. For years Verizon "flagship" phones had unlocked GSM, but the LTE radios for those networks were locked out. 3G or the highway!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    T-Mobile has been deploying band 71 for 2 1/2 years now. Iphone 8 come out 2 1/2 years ago so it's old by phone standards. Motorola is well Motorola.
    Agree about the iPhone 8 being a little to old for B71. Apple is conservative about new features, and will wait until the next model release. Moto G7 depends on the variant. The popular Power model has B71, but the Play and standard don't.

Point is phones are still being sold that don't have B71. Some people I know are on Sprint without B71 phones, and that will suck when forced on T-Mobile. This is a weak signal area, and I know how bad the TMO reception is without it.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I expect Dish will try to lease lots of their spectrum to T-Mobile to provide Dish some revenue that will help pay for deploying their own equipment.

BTW, This Tech Life video claiming the other B71 owners like Comcast is also allowing T-Mobile to use their B71 spectrum licenses. Plus, T- Mobile is going to increase roaming from Sprint to T-Mobile plus he thinks that Sprint will allow T-Mobile to use some of their Band 41 even before the merger is completed.

Last edited by shilohcane; 03-14-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Agree about the iPhone 8 being a little to old for B71. Apple is conservative about new features, and will wait until the next model release. Moto G7 depends on the variant. The popular Power model has B71, but the Play and standard don't.

Point is phones are still being sold that don't have B71. Some people I know are on Sprint without B71 phones, and that will suck when forced on T-Mobile. This is a weak signal area, and I know how bad the TMO reception is without it.
    I was with MetroPCS when T-Mobile forced everyone off of MetroPCS CDMA network and they gave everyone a new phone. They also gave a credit to people with branded MetroPCS phones. Even Metro by T-Mobile will give you a budget phone today if you move over to Metro from another network.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok most owners of 600 MHz licenses including Dish, Comcast and a few others below will work with T-Mobile to add in their B71 licenses to help out in the Coronavirus issue.

“ e plan to expand capacity for customers with compatible devices for 60 days by deploying 600 MHz spectrum from multiple companies, including Bluewater, Channel 51, Comcast, DISH, Grain Management affiliate NewLevel, LLC, LB Holdings and Omega Wireless, LLC in the markets where it can be quickly deployed. FCC Chairman Pai has led the way for an industry-wide response with the Keep Americans Connected Pledge, and these partnerships help address critical broadband needs during this pandemic. Pending FCC approval, we expect to rapidly place this additional spectrum into service within days.”

“ We’ve also expanded roaming access for Sprint customers to use the T-Mobile network. With expanded roaming access tens of thousands of locations nationwide, schools and families connected to Sprint’s network will have expanded coverage and capacity – including in rural areas – over the next 60 days.”“

T-Mobile to increase network capacity for customers amid workplace closures https://www.wric.com/top-stories/t-m...lace-closures/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I was with MetroPCS when T-Mobile forced everyone off of MetroPCS CDMA network and they gave everyone a new phone. They also gave a credit to people with branded MetroPCS phones. Even Metro by T-Mobile will give you a budget phone today if you move over to Metro from another network.
    I don't know how much improved T-Mo signal is in my area with B71, so it's hard to advise the Sprint people which way to go. Some with older "flagship" phones may not like a free low end phone. These are owners of iPhones, which are expensive to replace if they are later models B71 capable.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 03-14-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't know how much improved T-Mo signal is in my area with B71, so it's hard to advise the Sprint people which way to go. Some with older "flagship" phones may not like a free low end phone. These are owners of iPhones, which are expensive to replace if they are later models B71 capable.
    Well if they were happy with Sprint then they should be happier on Sprint with the new roaming on the T-Mobile network with their older flagship phones. They just won’t get a lot of extra roaming as the budget phone with more spectrum bands would provide. Just like MetroPCS that network wasn’t shut down for almost 2 years which will give them time to get a better phone. There will be mid-range 5G phones in the next four months.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    In all this discussion about phones that don't have band-71, it's important to remember that a phone does not need to have bands X, Y & Z to see benefit from their deployment. The phones that do have those bands offload some traffic from other bands, increasing the throughput of phones on the other bands. Of course, where range is the issue, this does not apply but that's only for rural areas where T-Mobile doesn't have band-12 (e.g. MS, TN)

Feedback Score
    LOL, lend spectrum to T-Mobile , then after 60 days , they cut of the spectrum...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast