Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Transfer/Combine Questions

Feedback Score
    I had an unlocked T-Mo Galaxy S3 that I happened to be using, and CCF set up just fine, so I thought that was universal. This was several years ago because the phone was Android 4-something, I believe. Then I got an unlocked T-Mo Galaxy S5 and it wouldn't accept the codes, which was a major disappointment, Android 6-something. Then I decided to try a Moto G5+ for something more unlocked for a change, and it accepted the codes, so I sold the Galaxy S3. Then I got a deal on a Moto G6 Play, and it didn't accept the codes. Most recently, I got a Moto G7, and it didn't accept the codes but the Moto G5+ also refused them when it had accepted them previously.

So I looked this up online, and AT&T has apparently shut this off due to security reasons. They are not responding to codes anymore. Whatever is already on the SIM seems to work fine.

I wanted a backup of some kind, so I tested a TF/Verizon SIM in the Moto G7 and it has no problem setting up CCF to Google Voice at least. It worked great.

I hesitate to switch everything over to Verizon because they will lose your phone number much more easily than AT&T. I did all the recent testing when I got that deal for the SIM/$15 airtime for $1.50. I activated the AT&T preloaded SIM first and found out that the codes had stopped working (was basically just curious for future reference). Then I ported what was left to a regular BYOP TF/Verizon SIM and the port messed up my balance big time, so I don't want to try this with my main phones. But I got to test CCF with Verizon.

By the way, the Verizon features are really nice.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I have been able to set up ATT CCF with both the Moto G4 Play & E4 Plus on Red Pocket GSMA. (Android 7.1.1)
    Interesting. I got the invalid MMI code error with a Samsung G7 running Android 8 and a Samsung Note 4 on Android 6. Maybe the issue is Samsung specific.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Interesting. I got the invalid MMI code error with a Samsung G7 running Android 8 and a Samsung Note 4 on Android 6. Maybe the issue is Samsung specific.
    I have had 4 Samsung phones and none would accept *# codes. I believe Samsung disabled that function. I have 3 Moto phones that all accept them.

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Spell things out like I did in the chat below, so the rep will know exactly which phone number you want to keep.

You can re-use a TF/Verizon SIM (but not a TF/AT&T or TF/T-mo SIM).

=========== Chat Transcript =============

Dawn: Thank you for visiting TracFone Wireless.
    Dawn: How may I assist you?
    You: Hi. My phone xxx-xxx-7318 will expire in a few days. Can I have its remaining units added to my phone xxx-xxx-6668?
    Dawn: Yes, we can transfer the minutes to that number.
    Dawn: It will leave the number ending in 7318 deactivated.
    You: Yes, that's fine.
    Dawn: In order for me to assist you, I need to validate your identity.
    You: ok
    Dawn: Provide me with your four-digit security PIN.
    You: xxxx
    Dawn: That is correct. Thank you.
    Dawn: Your ticket number is 120507xxxx.
    Dawn: Your service will end on 09/28/20xx.
    Dawn: The minutes have been successfully transferred.
    You: Thank you very much for your help, Dawn.
    Dawn: You are welcome.
    Another Tracfone chat, another adventure in incompetency (or at least mysterious and shifting policies). I think I was trying to do exactly as @hpham showed above, but with no success for me.

Code:
    You: Hello. I would like to deactivate a line and transfer the time and balances to another phone on my account.
    You: Can you first give me the balances on each? xxx-xxx-2457 and xxx-xxx-0561 . Thank you.
    Christian: Thank you for visiting TracFone Wireless.
    Christian: Hi Valued Customer.
    Christian: Hi Charles.
    You: Hi!
    Christian: Okay.
    Christian: Let me check it.
    Christian: Please bear with me since the system is a bit running slow.
    You: No problem. I'm standing-by.
    Christian: Okay.
    Christian: The number endinf in 2457 have 1199 minutes, 1200 SMS units and 3GB of data.
    Christian: One moment, please.
    Christian: The number ending in 0561 have 392 minutes, 486 SMS units and 468.68 MB of data.
    You: Great. Thank you. The phone to deactivate is xxx-xxx-2457. I'd like its balances to be added to xxx-xxx-0561. Both of these numbers are on
    my account.
    Christian: The minutes cannot be transfered to another active phone. The minutes cannot be combined. We can only transfer the number and
    service to an inactive phone.
    You: xxx-xxx-2457 is currently on Tracfone/AT&T. Unfortunately, I get horrible service from AT&T so I need to use Verizon. xxx-xxx-0561 is
    Tracfone/Verizon.
    Christian: The service of two different number cannot be combined. We can only transfer the number and service to a phone that is not active.
    Followed by:
    Code:
    You: The phone ending 0561 has an end-of-service date of April 6, 18 days from now. If I let it expire, will I then be able to do this transfer?
    Christian: Yes, you can transfer the number and service to that phone if it is deactivated.
    Christian: However, you will lose that number.
    And then, the coup de grace:
    Code:
    You: OK. Thank you for your help. May I have this chat number, please?
    Christian: You are welcome. You may send this chat transcript in your e-mail by clicking on the envelope icon after we end our chat session.
    You: Do you no longer give a chat reference number?
    Christian: I can provide a reference number from your account. We have chat ID but this is for internal use only. You cannot use it.
    Is the problem due to trying to shift AT&T minutes to Verizon? Should I just wait it out until the soon-expiring phone deactivates in 18 days? In that case, I'll lose the minutes and data that I haven't exhausted (which is not super bad). Or, try another chat?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 G930T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post
    Is the problem due to trying to shift AT&T minutes to Verizon? Should I just wait it out until the soon-expiring phone deactivates in 18 days? In that case, I'll lose the minutes and data that I haven't exhausted (which is not super bad). Or, try another chat?
    Personally, I would try again, or escalate to corporate in Florida. I have already dealt with them before when I could not get data to work on my AT&T SIM, and they swapped it to a TMO SIM on the spot.

Not that this helps YOU any, but you may have helped ME, just in the nick of time!

I was just about port in and activate the $40 deal with an AT&T SIM by web. Then I was going to contact CSR about combining and moving my new AT&T line with my current TMO line on to a new TMO SIM.

So, I think based on your experience, I will do the whole thing by chat (or phone) to be safe.
    Last edited by PL1; 03-19-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Earlier this week I combined/merged the service on TWO separate TF accounts via chat, and had no issue with either procedure. Both were from an AT&T BYOP SIM to a Verizon SIM/phone.

The hit-or-miss nature of TF is truly baffling, frustrating, and often infuriating.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post
    And then, the coup de grace:
    Code:
    You: OK. Thank you for your help. May I have this chat number, please?
    Christian: You are welcome. You may send this chat transcript in your e-mail by clicking on the envelope icon after we end our chat session.
    You: Do you no longer give a chat reference number?
    Christian: I can provide a reference number from your account. We have chat ID but this is for internal use only. You cannot use it.
    Sounds to me like that rep isn't very bright: doesn't know how to combine/merge two active phones, and refuses to give a reference number. FWIW, I always asked for a ticket or case number and never was refused.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 G930T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Your second scenario is better. Just use Chat and have them document all the balances before they start doing things. They can fix any glitches.
    Update Regarding the AT&T SIM to TMO & Merge, I just tried the chat routine. Good news and bad news.

The good news is that the preloaded AT&T card does have the 1200/1200/3GB balance on it.

The bad news is they would not handle the request by chat. I was told to call the Porting Department. I then asked, if I was to port in via the website, could they complete my request by chat, they said no.

The main reason I don't want to call it in is because there are so many numbers and my eyes aren't that great. It was so easy to copy/paste!
    Last edited by PL1; 03-19-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Feedback Score
    It sounds like TF is overwhelmed with problems from the pre-loaded SIMs. Everybody wants to merge/combine the SIM balances onto existing lines and TF is getting pissed.

So the CSRs are not going to do it. As usual, it's TF's own fault. If they ran out of actual plan cards, they should have suspended the eBay sale and website offer. They should not stick people with pre-loaded SIMs that may or may not be usable.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 G930T
    Feedback Score
    I Totally Agree!!!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 G930T
    Feedback Score
    It sounds like TF is overwhelmed with problems from the pre-loaded SIMs. Everybody wants to merge/combine the SIM balances onto existing lines and TF is getting pissed.

So the CSRs are not going to do it. As usual, it's TF's own fault. If they ran out of actual plan cards, they should have suspended the eBay sale and website offer. They should not stick people with pre-loaded SIMs that may or may not be usable.
    It does seem odd that a company would just assume that everyone who wants "unknown" carrier actually wants an AT&T SIM. I mean, why even offer the option at all? They already had a listing for the three carriers!

EDIT: Fix Assume, Also, it was not "unknown carrier", there was "no choice".
    Last edited by PL1; 03-19-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PL1 View Post
    The main reason I don't want to call it in is because there are so many numbers and my eyes aren't that great.
    My old eyes aren't that great at reading tiny numbers either. One trick I've found to deal with tiny IMEI and SIM numbers is to take a close-up picture of them using your phone/camera. You can easily enlarge the picture on your computer or phone screen.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 G930T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    My old eyes aren't that great at reading tiny numbers either. One trick I've found to deal with tiny IMEI and SIM numbers is to take a close-up picture of them using your phone/camera. You can easily enlarge the picture on your computer or phone screen.
    That IS a good idea. It is amazing what technology is sitting right under your nose, that you don't even think of using.

I basically wrote everything up on a Word document and printed it out in larger print. I will deal with it tomorrow.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 G930T
    Feedback Score

One other option they could have done is send a pin via email. That's what Red Pocket does for their $60 Annual Plan:

"Welcome to Red Pocket Mobile!
    Please keep this email for future reference.
    You will need this Activation Code to start your phone service: "

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PL1 View Post
    It does seem odd that a company would just ***-u-me that everyone who wants "unknown" carrier actually wants an AT&T SIM. I mean, why even offer the option at all?
    Did you order from the "unknown carrier" listing or the "no choice" listing? The fine print description for the current "no choice" listing says the carrier is AT&T.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast