Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Transfer/Combine Questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,275
    Feedback Score
    0

    Transfer/Combine Questions

    If I want to transfer an active telephone number from a smartphone to an active flip phone, what happens?

    The active smartphone number (TF/AT&T) is the one I want to keep, and transfer it to the flip which has an active TF/VZ number. The flip is a ZTE Z233VL.

    Both phones have a years service on them, the smartphone to expire June and the flip in September.

    Should I say "I want to combine the service and minutes of my smartphone with the service and minutes of my flip, transferring the combined balance to the flip, BUT I need to keep the telephone number of the smartphone."

    Will the minutes/airtime be combined or will I lose the airtime on one of the phones. If so will it be the receiving phone (the flip) or the donor phone (the smartphone) that gets its buckets and number wiped out?

    I did a combine between two flips before but not between a smartphone and a flip. The number I wanted to keep was on the flip phone I didn't want, so it was sort of complicated and I can't remember exactly how the CSR did it.

    The most important thing is that I keep the phone number of the smartphone. I've had that number at least four years and it's easy to remember.

    The alternative could be that I activate another Z233VL flip with my smartphone balance and number, I have a spare unactivated one but I was thinking it'd make more sense just to combine my currently active flip airtime with the airtime from the smartphone so I could keep my remaining months of service on the flip.

    The point is, I can take care of most of my biz using a flip which is more pocket friendly as well as easier for me to make or receive calls on so why have an active smartphone and flip. I also have WiFi access most of the time and can use a deactivated smartphone to access email etc. I can also use the WiFi connection to send or receive calls and texts via Google Voice. I have all smartphones set to ring or dingle if a GV message or call comes through.

    Another question, if I switch my active primary number to a flip, will it affect my Google Voice number? I currently use the smartphone number that I want to transfer as my primary number that I associate with GV.


    Sent from my LGUS215 using HoFo mobile app

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,631
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Assuming both phones (regardless of physical format) use the 3-bucket system:
    1. Contact TF and ask the rep to COMBINE/MERGE the units/days from the (flip) phone with the unwanted phone number to that of the (smart) phone with the preferred phone number.
    2. After that's done, the flip phone will be deactivated.
    3. Contact TF again the next day, ask them to transfer everything from the smartphone to the flip phone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,275
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks hpham. Your explanation is very easy and clear.

    When they combine/merge the ZTE flip's minutes/days with the smartphone's minutes/days, It's to be hoped the smartphone will only receive the service days and minutes, not the flip's (unwanted) number?

    They both use the three bucket system.

    I won't have to get a new SIM to reactivate the ZTE flip (it's TF/VZ service)?

    If that was the case then I could activate my other ZTE flip using the smartphone's service and number.
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Assuming both phones (regardless of physical format) use the 3-bucket system:
    1. Contact TF and ask the rep to COMBINE/MERGE the units/days from the (flip) phone with the unwanted phone number to that of the (smart) phone with the preferred phone number.
    2. After that's done, the flip phone will be deactivated.
    3. Contact TF again the next day, ask them to transfer everything from the smartphone to the flip phone.
    Sent from my LGUS215 using HoFo mobile app

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,631
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    When they combine/merge the ZTE flip's minutes/days with the smartphone's minutes/days, It's to be hoped the smartphone will only receive the service days and minutes, not the flip's (unwanted) number?

    I won't have to get a new SIM to reactivate the ZTE flip (it's TF/VZ service)?

    If that was the case then I could activate my other ZTE flip using the smartphone's service and number.
    Spell things out like I did in the chat below, so the rep will know exactly which phone number you want to keep.

    You can re-use a TF/Verizon SIM (but not a TF/AT&T or TF/T-mo SIM).

    =========== Chat Transcript =============

    Dawn: Thank you for visiting TracFone Wireless.
    Dawn: How may I assist you?
    You: Hi. My phone xxx-xxx-7318 will expire in a few days. Can I have its remaining units added to my phone xxx-xxx-6668?
    Dawn: Yes, we can transfer the minutes to that number.
    Dawn: It will leave the number ending in 7318 deactivated.
    You: Yes, that's fine.
    Dawn: In order for me to assist you, I need to validate your identity.
    You: ok
    Dawn: Provide me with your four-digit security PIN.
    You: xxxx
    Dawn: That is correct. Thank you.
    Dawn: Your ticket number is 120507xxxx.
    Dawn: Your service will end on 09/28/20xx.
    Dawn: The minutes have been successfully transferred.
    You: Thank you very much for your help, Dawn.
    Dawn: You are welcome.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,275
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Spell things out like I did in the chat below, so the rep will know exactly which phone number you want to keep.

    You can re-use a TF/Verizon SIM (but not a TF/AT&T or TF/T-mo SIM).

    =========== Chat Transcript =============

    Dawn: Thank you for visiting TracFone Wireless.
    Dawn: How may I assist you?
    You: Hi. My phone xxx-xxx-7318 will expire in a few days. Can I have its remaining units added to my phone xxx-xxx-6668?
    Dawn: Yes, we can transfer the minutes to that number.
    Dawn: It will leave the number ending in 7318 deactivated.
    You: Yes, that's fine.
    Dawn: In order for me to assist you, I need to validate your identity.
    You: ok
    Dawn: Provide me with your four-digit security PIN.
    You: xxxx
    Dawn: That is correct. Thank you.
    Dawn: Your ticket number is 120507xxxx.
    Dawn: Your service will end on 09/28/20xx.
    Dawn: The minutes have been successfully transferred.
    You: Thank you very much for your help, Dawn.
    Dawn: You are welcome.
    That's very straightforward, it should be easy to do using chat. Just as long as the CSR understands what I'm asking but since it's simple they should.

    Thank you very much, hpham.

    Sent from my LGL163BL using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,275
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well I initiated the chat using the format suggested and it went fine, the units from the zte flip were added to my smartphone and I now have 1109 mins/1213 sms/1.59gb data and an expiration date 12/13/2020. The exp date on the now defunct flip was 9/21/2020 and the smartphone was 6/7/2020. I also got to keep the smartphone tel# and it went quickly.

    I asked it I could reactivate the zte flip with the service from the smartphone and he said no, that due to the system upgrade they couldn't do that.

    I've done the service swap between the Alcatel My Flip and the ZTE z233vl and back again but is it possible to swap the service from a smartphone to one of the new flips during reactivation? I think it can be done but maybe he didn't know they could. Maybe he thought it was an old flip. I didn't want to argue so I just said thanks and closed the chat. I might be able to get a rep who knows how on another day.

    The good thing is by combining the service on the smartphone it extended its expiration from June to December.

    The disappointment is I may have to reactivate the flip with a new number and plan if they can't do the transfer. I'll have to do without a flip til then. If that happens maybe I'll just do an H20 flip but I did want my account to be on the ZTE.



    Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,631
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    If the flip phone uses the 3-bucket system then there shouldn't be any problem transferring buckets/days to it. The rep said it couldn't be done due to "system update", is that because the flip-phone is not VoLTE capable? If it is VoLTE capable, then I don't see why it can't be reactivated with a transfer from the smartphone.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    916
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think that CSR just wasn't aware the MyFlip is compliant VoLTE. It's actually cdma-less. Just do another chat and tell them you want to transfer your number and balance to a new phone. Don't even need to mention the phone model. Just it's IMEI and SIM #.
    I think there's still CSRs that don't know what VoLTE is.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,292
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I asked it I could reactivate the zte flip with the service from the smartphone and he said no, that due to the system upgrade they couldn't do that.
    Yes, the rep might have thought it was an old style flip phone. Even at that, it used to be possible to transfer service from a 3 bucket smartphone to a 1 bucket basic phone with some units loss. The Z233VL is a 3 bucket phone, so there should be no problem. Did it have VoLTE before?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,275
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, the rep might have thought it was an old style flip phone. Even at that, it used to be possible to transfer service from a 3 bucket smartphone to a 1 bucket basic phone with some units loss. The Z233VL is a 3 bucket phone, so there should be no problem. Did it have VoLTE before?
    Yes the zte z233vl is VoLTE capable.

    I got a message from TF Alex with a chat link telling me to go see if they could fix the problem.

    I opened a chat and the CSR initiated the transfer. Before it finished he said it would be done in a half hour to an hour and they'd call back, I gave them my GV number to call. They were supposed to call in half hour.

    A few minutes later I checked the phone and it showed the number transferred so I checked the balance.

    The expiration date of December 2020 transferred but the balance is now 0 on all buckets.

    I called TF help desk and gave my ticket number. They saw the zero buckets. He said they have no record of what it had before and they couldn't validate my claim. He said their system is down and after 10 ET if what I say is true I should get the balance transfer.

    They never called to verify the transfer went ok.

    I have never had the balance disappear before so it is upsetting but I have read about other TF people losing and not getting it back.

    The good news is i have my number still and the December exp date. But I lost all my airtime. That leaves me with no minutes but they were minutes I didn't get to use..... Not happy.



    Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,631
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I opened a chat and the CSR initiated the transfer.

    A few minutes later I checked the phone and it showed the number transferred so I checked the balance.

    The expiration date of December 2020 transferred but the balance is now 0 on all buckets.

    I called TF help desk and gave my ticket number. They saw the zero buckets. He said they have no record of what it had before and they couldn't validate my claim. He said their system is down and after 10 ET if what I say is true I should get the balance transfer.

    I have never had the balance disappear before so it is upsetting but I have read about other TF people losing and not getting it back.
    Did you ask the chat rep for a balance check before doing the transfer? That's the first thing to ask in a chat, to have the balance and expiration date in the chat transcript for record.

    Usually a transfer that stays in the same carrier doesn't have much risk of losing balance. Their system must be really having a problem.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,275
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Did you ask the chat rep for a balance check before doing the transfer? That's the first thing to ask in a chat, to have the balance and expiration date in the chat transcript for record.

    Usually a transfer that stays in the same carrier doesn't have much risk of losing balance. Their system must be really having a problem.
    Unfortunately I forgot to screenshot the balance before hand and when I asked to check the balance he indicated that I should... I usually don't leave chat until the balance comes through on the activation but he said it might be an hour.

    The transfer was from AT&T/TF to TF/VZ so that might be part of it.

    I'm waiting for the port department to call about it. I started another chat and Elijah referred me to them, said they'd call.

    Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,631
    Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    The transfer was from AT&T/TF to TF/VZ so that might be part of it.

    I'm waiting for the port department to call about it. I started another chat and Elijah referred me to them, said they'd call.
    Yeah, you stated in your first post that the smartphone is on AT&T, but it didn't register in my mind.

    Transferring cross-carrier is more risky because the number has to be ported across and the balance info has to be pushed from TF system to the receiving carrier's system. Sometimes there's a delay with that.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,539
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Yes the zte z233vl is VoLTE capable.

    I got a message from TF Alex with a chat link telling me to go see if they could fix the problem.

    I opened a chat and the CSR initiated the transfer. Before it finished he said it would be done in a half hour to an hour and they'd call back, I gave them my GV number to call. They were supposed to call in half hour.

    A few minutes later I checked the phone and it showed the number transferred so I checked the balance.

    The expiration date of December 2020 transferred but the balance is now 0 on all buckets.

    I called TF help desk and gave my ticket number. They saw the zero buckets. He said they have no record of what it had before and they couldn't validate my claim. He said their system is down and after 10 ET if what I say is true I should get the balance transfer.

    They never called to verify the transfer went ok.

    I have never had the balance disappear before so it is upsetting but I have read about other TF people losing and not getting it back.

    The good news is i have my number still and the December exp date. But I lost all my airtime. That leaves me with no minutes but they were minutes I didn't get to use..... Not happy.
    That is just sickening. Yesterday, I did a transfer to another SIM: AT&T > Verizon. The texts went to zero. I did a chat today and it took a long time because the rep had to consult someone, but I got back the texts.

    The next step would be for you to call Corporate and complain. I am getting really sick of Tracfone and their arrogance and incompetence and just general attitude. If I didn't have legacy airtime, I would leave in a minute.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,275
    Feedback Score
    0
    It must have been because both of us transferred between carriers, AT&T and Verizon. Although I haven't had it happen before. The worst before was when I bought a TF card for data and it didn't load but they added a gb manually and the card was one of the old ones for i think 500mb or 750mb.

    I prefer chat to do bizz now, too much noise here but this time I had to do several chats and a few calls. This time when the chat CSR said they'd call, they did.

    Thankfully they managed to give me the approximate amount I lost, he (Miguel) did it manually. He gave me 1108 minutes, 1298 sms, 1.46gb data (it was 1109 mins, 1213sms, 1.59gb).

    I wish they had some way to verify by email or text using screenshot. Otherwise once it's gone it's gone.

    I like to check balance by phone and leave the old balance inquiries on the phone so I can share by screenshot.

    In this case I have a screenshot of the balance of the smartphone (Alcatel Zip, the one I'm posting on) before I initiated the balance transfer to it from the ZTE flip, and then what the balance was after the two phones balances were combined.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    That is just sickening. Yesterday, I did a transfer to another SIM: AT&T > Verizon. The texts went to zero. I did a chat today and it took a long time because the rep had to consult someone, but I got back the texts.

    The next step would be for you to call Corporate and complain. I am getting really sick of Tracfone and their arrogance and incompetence and just general attitude. If I didn't have legacy airtime, I would leave in a minute.
    Name:  Screenshot_ZIP_balance.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  43.8 KB

    Sent from my A576BL using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A V635 transfer multimedia question
    By nivan in forum Motorola
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 12:55 AM
  2. New phone, transferring SIM question?
    By omnifarius in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 11:29 PM
  3. transferring account questions
    By JBlakeUAB in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 10:54 PM
  4. phonebook transfer . etc questions...
    By allstream in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 11:06 PM
  5. Data Transfer Billing Question
    By MadmanMark in forum Fido
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 09:42 PM

Bookmarks