Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Desperately Need New Verizon MVNO

Feedback Score

Desperately Need New Verizon MVNO

In spite of 'Big Red's' confirmation they are supporting cdma/3g until the end of this year, I have lost all my voice mail services.
    Present mvno* claims they can no longer troubleshoot and have reset both line and voicemail a number of times with no help.

* Selectel (They've been excellent until now).

I was hoping to have a few more months on this device before switching.
    I've got other people with very same phone but no mvno and they are NOT having this problem.

Present mvno talks down to me claiming it's the device. But that phone is working perfectly.
    In fact I can call & access my voicemail, but nobody can leave any messages.

At first there was a crazy message about not allowing messages on this line (paraphrasing).
    Then it simply rings and service won't answer. It's changing constantly, but bottom line is
    nobody can leave voicemail. That is a true pita with hospitals etc. calling with their automated systems
    and I see 40+ calls from same numbers that can't leave msg so they keep dialing! Ugh.
    Both SMS & MMS appear to be working no problem. But it's a CONVOY 2. I don't text much at all.

If another mvno can handle and provision this present phone (Samsung Convoy2 SCH-U660) w/ no problems
    I'll switch in a heartbeat. Then I'll upgrade device.

I would simply upgrade now, but this has left a nasty taste in my mouth.
    What happens when they kill my new 4g lte phones in the same way?

Any help in deciding will be major blessing and highly appreciated.

P.S. Would prefer to switch to mvno which will provide postpaid (when I upgrade to 4g lte) like present mvno claims to offer.

Feedback Score
    A Samsung Convoy 2 SCH-U660 is not VoLTE compatible. That phone has not been able to be activated on any Vzw MVNO since the end of April, 2019.

Feedback Score
    You could see if they would help you port your number to Google Voice to handle voice mail, but keep the account open with a new number.

Then you could just stay where you are.

This might be tricky (since porting out normally closes an account) but I think it might be possible.

Feedback Score
    No google voice for that phone but there is an easy fix. New phone.
    Regardless of any VZW mvno, your days are numbered. Areas are slowly losing service between now and the end of the year unless the schedule changes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    No google voice for that phone but there is an easy fix. New phone.
    You do not need to have Google Voice on the phone.

Google voice would just forward calls to it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    You do not need to have Google Voice on the phone.

Google voice would just forward calls to it.
    I stand corrected. But a new phone is still the route.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    In light of the helpful ideas from the earlier posters, I have an idea for a probably temporary workaround.

Get a Google voice number and start using the app. Give that number out as much as you can now. If you want to really commit to it, hard forward your incoming calls to it with *72 if Seletel allow it. This will make you reliant on having a data connection for voice but could ease the transition to what will have to be a new phone by next year.

Lots of folks here use GV as primary and can probably help you through the transition.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post
    In light of the helpful ideas from the earlier posters, I have an idea for a probably temporary workaround.

Get a Google voice number and start using the app. Give that number out as much as you can now. If you want to really commit to it, hard forward your incoming calls to it with *72 if Seletel allow it. This will make you reliant on having a data connection for voice but could ease the transition to what will have to be a new phone by next year.

Lots of folks here use GV as primary and can probably help you through the transition.
    I use GV as primary and already suggested a few posts above that he just port his number to GV if he can get Selectel to hold his account and phone across the port out and assign a new private number to which he would point his number (which I think can be done).

Wouldn't that be better and simpler?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    I use GV as primary and already suggested a few posts above that he just port his number to GV if he can get Selectel to hold his account and phone across the port out and assign a new private number to which he would point his number (which I think can be done).

Wouldn't that be better and simpler?
    I suspect not. And trying things with a phone that Verizon doesn't allow to be activated anymore. Which may apply to a new number on the account.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I suspect not.
    Why not at least ask Selectel if it can be done? It is a lot cleaner. Just a standard GV Setup. No forwarding back to GV which is not the way GV was designed to work and is error-prone.

And trying things with a phone that Verizon doesn't allow to be activated anymore. Which may apply to a new number on the account.
    "May" is the operative word there. There is no reason it cannot be done. Many mvno's can hold your place on the system on request after you port out.

One easy way to do it is to (1) Add a new line on Selectel with a new number (2) swap the numbers (3) port out your original number to GV. Then you are all set with a perfect set-up.

It might not work but it is worth a try in my opinion. There is nothing to lose since the alternative is a new phone anyway.
    Last edited by comintel; 03-15-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I guess. I just haven't run across postings before of people who have ported a number out without it also cancelling the line. Or people getting a new number without losing the old number in the process.

And there is the risk that someone may think it is possible, then oops. As a MVNO, they have less visibility into the number/account than if you were directly with the underlying carrier, and I don't have good feelings about this after the hours I spent on the phone with ATT a couple years ago where they couldn't do fixes with my account that persisted past the plan month.

Feedback Score
    I think TF can do that after porting the # out. But I think it involves REACTIVATING the phone with a new # and restoring plan balances. REACTIVATING the phone would be the sticking point, since that phone is no longer allowed to be activated.

However, you could still ask Selectel if they have a different or better way to do what's being suggested. Depending on their answer and your comfort level the competence of the answer, you could then decide how to proceed.

I do think the best course of action would be to get a VoLTE compatible phone, preferably unlocked and non-carrier branded, so you can then use any MVNO of your choosing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I do think the best course of action would be to get a VoLTE compatible phone, preferably unlocked and non-carrier branded, so you can then use any MVNO of your choosing.
    Agreed. Considering the fate of 3G/cdma that's the solution. Get a new phone, even if it's a $20-$40 locked to another mvno. You'll soon need to anyway. These work arounds may be a solution for issues with a new compatible phone and an mvno that is clueless to properly provision it, but come on man.

Feedback Score
    One suggestion would be to port to TF with a phone and annual plan bundle. There have been very attractive deals starting at $49.99 or $39.99 for new HSN customers.

If you do want a truly unlocked smartphone that can be used on any carrier or MVNO, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...martphone.html is $99.99.

Maybe somebody else will post with a better or different suggestion.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Wow, I can't thank you guys enough for all the responses!

1. While we did know that selectel could not provision new cdma, we didn't know about other mvno's.
    So are you confirming that cdma for 'big red' can no longer be ported/provisioned with anyone anymore?

2. The GV ideas are very interesting. But from someone who [Heaven forbid] doesn't even have a google account,
    I smell a lot of hashing over new learning curve(s). Computers I know, phones & 'social media' uh, not so much.
    Now where's that 'thoroughly embarrassed' face icon when you need one?!

2. We have new Kyocera duraxv lte phones on order.* If we cannot port or [re] provision existing phone,
    we would like to see what other mvno's offer. Our provider claims selectel's lte plan can be propaid?
    I need to compare prices and coverage of other mvno's with theirs and see if we could save some $
    and still get great coverage and service.

* Wanted the Sonim XP3 but read info in a number of places claiming it was for businesses only.
    Unfortunately, the corporation I worked with recently folded.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PREFERRED PLAN:
    Unlimited Text-Talk w/ 1 (no more than 2) GB data. Monthly w/ preferred postpaid so no roaming cut off.

Is there some kind of matrix showing this info or should I just directly contact each one?
    Can anyone provide ideas on the best ones? The 'best of...' articles & opinions we've come across online are incomplete.

But it does seem there are more to choose from than years ago when we first choose selectel?

Again, your input is Golden and very much appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast