Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Desperately Need New Verizon MVNO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Librano52 View Post
    Wow, I can't thank you guys enough for all the responses!

1. While we did know that selectel could not provision new cdma, we didn't know about other mvno's.
    So are you confirming that cdma for 'big red' can no longer be ported/provisioned with anyone anymore?...
    Verizon and their MVNOs have not activated new lines for CDMA-voice-only phones for over a year. The phones must be VoLTE compatible. Anything currently being sold as a new model is VoLTE compatible.

Most MVNOs are prepaid, not postpaid.

A good comparison tool is prepaidcompare.net

Verizon Prepaid is $30 a month for unlimited talk and text and 1 GB data, $35 a month with 6 GB data with autopay.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    At https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ you can see that, at least directly with Verizon, you can't move from one non VoLTE phone to another on an account. I think early in 2019 they stopped allowing it on MVNOs, since the plan was to drop service at the end of 2019. Now extended to end of 2020.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    At https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ you can see that, at least directly with Verizon, you can't move from one non VoLTE phone to another on an account. I think early in 2019 they stopped allowing it on MVNOs, since the plan was to drop service at the end of 2019. Now extended to end of 2020.
    But you can do number changes, which may (or may not) allow a way to port your number to Google Voice number with some careful swaps via a temporary added line.

I am not saying this is what the poster should necessarily try (unless so inclined) though.
    Last edited by comintel; 03-15-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Librano52 if you like the flip phones, you can purchase an Alcatel MYFLIP on Bestbuy.com for under $30 including shipping. The one I got came with a Tracfone SIM card but I was able to activate it on PagePlus and port my number with no problem.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I suspect not. And trying things with a phone that Verizon doesn't allow to be activated anymore. Which may apply to a new number on the account.
    At this point it’s only a matter of time before all the MVNO’s mandate use of a VoLTE device by threat of account termination.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    At this point it’s only a matter of time before all the MVNO’s mandate use of a VoLTE device by threat of account termination.
    Nah, CDMA only phones will stop working for voice at the end of 2020, but the MVNOs will continue to happily take your payment for non functional service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Nah, CDMA only phones will stop working for voice at the end of 2020, but the MVNOs will continue to happily take your payment for non functional service.
    BINGO!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here. Truly appreciate all the input. Thanks for taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    if you like the flip phones, you can purchase an Alcatel MYFLIP on Bestbuy.com
    If we hadn't already purchased the Kyoceras, I would have looked hard at that one. Need a rugged flip phone.

I thought present (selectel) provider claimed for $35 we'll get POST PAID service (unlimited T&T and 2GB data)?
    I may just stick with that. I've also seen BOOM advertise post paid but I didn't get a chance to see which phone/carrier.
    And maybe I misread the ad.

Since the new phone is actually Android, I might be able to use the data, although I can't imagine how?
    And I can't imagine with a basic phone not having to pay less than $35 every month

Feedback Score
    Ok, last questions everyone:

Because I know nothing but cdma:

1. If we stay with present mvno, can we retain ph# number (switch from cdma to 4g lte phone)?
    2. If we stay with present mvno, can we later switch to another mvno if we find better plan?
    2. If we can switch, how much of a PITA will it be? (how long would it take?, what processing costs? etc.).
    3. If we can switch, can we retain same ph# number?

Thanks again for all your input and info!

Device(s)
    Moto X4 & G7; Pixel 3a & 4xl; Nexus 5x; IPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    I am an old dog and resisted buying a smart phone as long as I could. I liked the flip phone I had, knew how to use it and didn’t see the value in changing. Well, the market eventually forced my hand and I had to get one. Long story short, I shouldn’t have been sticking my head in the the sand for so long. The smartphone has made my life much easier and performed far better than I could have imagined. In your situation, time spent trying to find a workaround provider that keeps your phone alive a little while longer is time not well spent. Take the time it find a promo deal for a reasonably priced 4G smartphone and use your time to learn about using your new phone. You won’t regret it.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Feedback Score
    QUOTE:
    I thought present (selectel) provider claimed for $35 we'll get POST PAID service (unlimited T&T and 2GB data)?

That's the plan I'm on and I've been with Selectel for a long time. I did try Boom! for a few months when Selectel made some changes but I went back to Selectel for better coverage.

I agree with another poster that getting 4G LTE cell will be your best bet. Soon it will be your only option.

P.S. Are your Kyocera cells 4G LTE? I have only seen 3 or 4 flips that are. I had my parents try Alcatel MyFlips and I moved them to Doro 7050 cells recently where volume is much better.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2