Thread: S10+ MMS on Wifi FirstNet is it just me?

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON (used to be Alltel)
    Feedback Score

S10+ MMS on Wifi FirstNet is it just me?

So im not sure why but i cant send MMS consistently while on wifi.. Its hit or miss.. Most of the time i can turn my wifi off and the message will go through within a min or so.. Im using Google Messenger.. I have the same issue with the stock messenger app.. and this is a FirstNet phone.. Did a quick search and didnt see anything from this year that might help..

RCS wont enable on Google Messenger either..

JB

Feedback Score
    go into your phones MMS settings and turn on Roaming Auto-retrieve if there's no mobile data connection then MMS will send via WIFI connection. - https://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...when-wifi.html

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I am certain that with the exception of an iPhone, MMS can only be sent via a cellular data connection. Wifi won't with the device's built in application. There are third party applications to allow it. I was a CS rep for At&t for almost 10 years and I did provide tech support for such issues.

The article link that was posted was started in 2013 and nothing much has changed since then. There are several posts in that thread that reinforce what I stated. Some phones will automatically turn on cellular data when an an MMS is either attempted to be sent or received and data would be turned off after the event. Otherwise, the message would fail if the user had disabled the APN stored in the phone.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL, Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I am certain that with the exception of an iPhone, MMS can only be sent via a cellular data connection. Wifi won't with the device's built in application. There are third party applications to allow it. I was a CS rep for At&t for almost 10 years and I did provide tech support for such issues.

The article link that was posted was started in 2013 and nothing much has changed since then. There are several posts in that thread that reinforce what I stated. Some phones will automatically turn on cellular data when an an MMS is either attempted to be sent or received and data would be turned off after the event. Otherwise, the message would fail if the user had disabled the APN stored in the phone.
    I've got a 3a XL on AT&T Postpaid, and can send and receive both SMS and MMS using Wi-Fi Calling. Even with 3rd party apps, it works, because of the way Android handles messaging. This obviously is Wi-Fi Calling though, and not just the phone merely being connected to Wi-Fi without Wi-Fi Calling. I think you can actually force mobile data to stay active in Developer settings, but I haven't messed with it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Please check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multim...saging_Service

This is from the article itself:
    Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) is a standard way to send messages that include multimedia content to and from a mobile phone over a cellular network. Users and providers may refer to such a message as a PXT, a picture message, or a multimedia message.[1] The MMS standard extends the core SMS (Short Message Service) capability, allowing the exchange of text messages greater than 160 characters in length. Unlike text-only SMS, MMS can deliver a variety of media, including up to forty seconds of video, one image, a slideshow[2] of multiple images, or audio. The first MMS capable phones were introduced around 2002 in conjunction with the first GSM network. The Sony Ericsson T68i is widely believed to be the first MMS capable cell phone, while many more hit North American markets beginning in 2004 and 2005