Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rebel 3 nastyware

Feedback Score

Rebel 3 nastyware

An elderly lady I am helping has somehow put a piece of nastyware called "Email Home" on her phone. I went to remove it by hitting the gearwheel settings icon and I get the screen below. So no joy getting to the app that way to turn it off or delete it. I am going to have her try to remove it with the Google play> menu>Apps and Games> my apps> installed screen. If it is not there, then maybe i should have her download an "easy uninstaller" app? If this just a piece of bloatware you cant get rid of? I would at least like to turn it off.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    It's a launcher that replaces the stock launcher. It is not on the Play Store, and doing a search there brings up uninstaller apps. You might try to find and activate the stock launcher. There is contact information here:

https://wezift.com/parent-portal/app...-and-launcher/

What does it show with a long press in the Settings App list? A short tap will just start the app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    It's a launcher that replaces the stock launcher. It is not on the Play Store, and doing a search there brings up uninstaller apps. You might try to find and activate the stock launcher. There is contact information here:

https://wezift.com/parent-portal/app...-and-launcher/

What does it show with a long press in the Settings App list? A short tap will just start the app.
    Thanks! I am sorry but I dont understand what a long press in the settings app list means. If I tap "settings" I get the screen you see here.
    ( I did learn that one can do 2 downward swipes from the home screen and get the gear wheel that actually takes you to "Settings"
    Last edited by CoyoteChris; 03-17-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Feedback Score
    This launcher thing is new to me....there is hardly anything on the web about how to get rid of it or how I even get to the old launcher, what ever that is....and this one wont let me into the settings part of the phone....guess I will keep trying....

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    OK, just got off the phone trying bunch of stuff to no avail See like above.
    I am emailing the developer
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Shouldn't the original launcher be on the phone's apps list under settings? I guess you've already looked there but trying to open that to see if it can be chosen as the default launcher again it would replace the one you don't want and then the unwanted launcher could be uninstalled.

If you've already tried that, I guess it was a dumb observation on my part.

I had a launcher fail on an older phone and was able to install a new one from Google Play.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've never fiddled with alternate launchers before, but my interpretation of what they are to explain to someone is, they are kind of analagous (but not completely) to the Microsoft Windows Desktop, which from an application standpoint is an executable called explorer.exe. It gives you the things you see on screen (the "Desktop" or Home screen) and a place for the other installed applications to display their icons and be launched (opened) from. And the many other control functions available.

So in Android a launcher is just another app that, in this case, can be installed and provide the necessary Home Screen functions and give a different look with maybe some enhancements in its feature set.

It also means it could be an app (if unauthorized 3rd party) that is designed to do undesirable and naughty things on your device, such as hijack it and be difficult to uninstall. Remains to be seen here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    ( I did learn that one can do 2 downward swipes from the home screen and get the gear wheel that actually takes you to "Settings"
    If you go into Settings, do you see a list that looks like this?
    Name:  Screenshot_20200318-140236.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  29.0 KB

In there is the apps list, and the launcher will be found there. Not sure what your stock launcher is named, or if it will show the Email Home app. I have Android Oreo, so it looks a little different than in the article for Nougat.

Feedback Score
    I would think going into the apps list (like in the screenshot) and finding the launcher apps (old one and new one) should allow the OP to disable the new one and reestablish the original one as default, unless the new one is malicious and has hijacked the phone and won't allow them to even negotiate the settings menu.

I think they said when they touch the gearwheel icon (settings) they don't see anything except the screen shown in the photo they included with their post.

If so then may have to perform a factory reset if they can access that. That deletes personal info like contacts, photos, passwords etc. It basically resets it to what the phone was like when the box was opened. I wouldn't do that unless as last resort, unless she doesn't have anything much stored on the phone. Likely if they can't access the settings menus they can't access reset either.

When my old phone lost its launcher, a few items still showed on the home screen. I was able to get into Google Play on another phone and chose a simple launcher and send the sharing link for its page to the wounded phone. I was able to use the link in the phone's notification drop down to click to the page. I chose to install the launcher and choose it as default while setting it up. It took over and the phone worked using the new launcher.

In the OP's case if nothing else works maybe he could try something like that, to send a share link to her phone (text, email) from a new simple launcher on Google Play and visit the link from her phone to choose install. If it installs, maybe it will let them visit her settings menus and remove the malicious launcher and restore her original one. Then the one gotten from Google Play could be uninstalled.

Google Play has senior friendly launchers that are simple with large icons.

Sent from my LGL84VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    An elderly lady I am helping has somehow put a piece of nastyware called "Email Home" on her phone. I went to remove it by hitting the gearwheel settings icon and I get the screen below. So no joy getting to the app that way to turn it off or delete it. I am going to have her try to remove it with the Google play> menu>Apps and Games> my apps> installed screen. If it is not there, then maybe i should have her download an "easy uninstaller" app? If this just a piece of bloatware you cant get rid of? I would at least like to turn it off.
    Yes, I think what the OP is saying is they can't access the phone menus by selecting the settings gearwheel icon. It gives him the screen shown in his screenshot in the original post.

If they can get texts or email messages on the wounded phone, via the notification bar dropdown or otherwise, he might try to do what I suggested in my previous post. Visit Google Play on another phone and choose a compatible launcher. Find the sharing icon on the page and send a link to her phone. Open the link from her phone. Choose install. Set up as temporary default launcher.

When it takes over, see if the undesired launcher has harmed her original phone files or if the new launcher gives you access to the settings menus to restore the original launcher (unless she likes the Google Play launcher).

If it was a malicious app, the "email home" launcher might have inserted spybots on the phone.

I hope what I said helps if OP can find no better solution.

Feedback Score
    Just to be crystal clear...
    1. Yes, you hit the gearwheel, you get the pic.
    2. You can get a different gear wheel that works by downswiping the home screen twice.
    3. Here is a pic of my spare Rebel 3, which looks like her rebel 3. A mystery app, called "Home v 5.30.27 with no description...could be the OEM launcher. But on her phone, when she looks at the apps, she does see this one, but there is indeed no "Email Home" app.
    4. I emailed the "Email Home" launcher developer , asking for his/her help in removing this to help out an elderly lady, but they didnt answer me yet.
    5. I see next to nothing on the web about how to uninstall this, which makes me think they dont want you to be able to do this.
    6. Note the instructions on how to change launchers for Android 7. https://www.howtogeek.com/202397/ask...o-the-default/
    My phone shows "Home," no default home, under "configure apps" Not what the link shows

Feedback Score
    This launcher thing is new to me....there is hardly anything on the web about how to get rid of it or how I even get to the old launcher, what ever that is....and this one wont let me into the settings part of the phone....guess I will keep trying....
    From what I have read, Home is LG's native launcher. That is why it won't uninstall. That should not keep you from installing a different launcher. Depending on what issues you need to address, look for a launcher on PlayStore that meets your needs. Nova launcher is pretty customizable. When you install a new launcher, you would have an option to select which launcher to use as default. You can change whenever you want.

Feedback Score
    I don't have an LG Rebel but my LG Stylo 3 has two LG apps, one is Home & App Drawer v. 4.90.14 and that's what I use. The optional one is Home v. 5.30.19.

The Home app uses far less space, 1.97mb in internal storage. The Home & App Drawer one uses 21.52mb on my Stylo maybe because I'm using it.

Both are LG apps I was offered with the phone. They're on its App list with the usual info and options like disable, permissions, defaults set, and at bottom under "store" it says installed by LGInstallService. If it was a Google PlayStore App it would say so under "store."

Under the Settings menu under "device" Home Screen is listed and if I tap that, it shows "Select Home" at top of screen and under it, Home & App Drawer. If I tap that it gives me two checkbox choices, Home, and Home & App Drawer, the same apps I mentioned above from my Apps list.

I think the difference between the two is Home & App Drawer gives an app drawer to store apps off the main screen. I think the other stored apps on screen maybe in folders. Once in awhile I have to choose again like it forgets. I will get a message that asks me to choose and afterwards it loads the home screen.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    This should be a screenshot from my LG Stylo 3 showing the Home app's page.

There are a lot of people here who probably have the LG Rebel and maybe they'll have some idea of what's going on. Have you tried to contact LG customer service?

I think it is the LG Stylo's home screen launcher, but I could be wrong as to what its purpose is. I could find no other app on the Stylo's app list that indicated a launcher.Name:  Capture%2B_StyloHomeApp1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  29.9 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast