Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rebel 3 nastyware

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    The Rebel 3 runs Android 6. I don't have a Rebel 3 but the menus on all LG phones running the same Android version are usually very similar. Here are some screen shots from an LG G4 running Android 6 showing how to change the launcher.

1. Drag down the notification shade and tap the gear icon in the top right to open settings. Tap the Display tab. (if you don't see any tabs, tap the 3 dot menu at the top left and choose "Tab View"). It should look like this:

Name:  Screenshot_2020-03-19-08-46-53.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  30.4 KB

2. In settings on the Display tab, tap "Home screen". It should switch to something similar to this:

Name:  Screenshot_2020-03-19-08-47-05.jpg
Size:  23.7 KB

3. On the above screen, tap "Select home" to display this:

Name:  Screenshot_2020-03-19-08-47-15.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  25.4 KB

4.The current launcher will be selected like Lawnchair (a custom launcher I installed) is in my screen shot above. Remember the name of the current malware launcher so you can delete it latter. Select "Home", which is the default launcher. That should take you to your regular home screen.

5. Go back into settings, tap the General tap and scroll way down to and tap "Apps". Scroll through the list of apps until you see the name of the bad launcher. Tap its name and then tap uninstall.

Good luck
    Last edited by Yeswap; 03-19-2020 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Typos
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    2. You can get a different gear wheel that works by downswiping the home screen twice.
    Yes, that gear wheel should go to the real Settings menu. Does it? This thing is so screwed up with that bogus launcher, You might have to do a factory data reset. Get as much personal stuff off as is possible by USB. Hopefully the contacts will restore once the Google account is reactivated if it was synced with the server.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    From what I have read, Home is LG's native launcher. That is why it won't uninstall. That should not keep you from installing a different launcher. Depending on what issues you need to address, look for a launcher on PlayStore that meets your needs. Nova launcher is pretty customizable. When you install a new launcher, you would have an option to select which launcher to use as default. You can change whenever you want.
    Yeah, that's the rub...all she ( and I see) are LG's native launcher, Home. Yet there on her fone is the blanky blank "Email Home" on her fone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, that gear wheel should go to the real Settings menu. Does it? This thing is so screwed up with that bogus launcher, You might have to do a factory data reset. Get as much personal stuff off as is possible by USB. Hopefully the contacts will restore once the Google account is reactivated if it was synced with the server.
    It is her backup phone and she doesnt use it very much.....I am hesitant to do anything as it looks like we will be locked down in a few days...
    The developer never emailed me back, so I suspect they are in the business of malware...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    The Rebel 3 runs Android 6. I don't have a Rebel 3 but the menus on all LG phones running the same Android version are usually very similar. Here are some screen shots from an LG G4 running Android 6 showing how to change the launcher.

1. Drag down the notification shade and tap the gear icon in the top right to open settings. Tap the Display tab. (if you don't see any tabs, tap the 3 dot menu at the top left and choose "Tab View"). It should look like this:

Name:  Screenshot_2020-03-19-08-46-53.jpg
Size:  30.4 KB

2. In settings on the Display tab, tap "Home screen". It should switch to something similar to this:

Name:  Screenshot_2020-03-19-08-47-05.jpg
Size:  23.7 KB

3. On the above screen, tap "Select home" to display this:

Name:  Screenshot_2020-03-19-08-47-15.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  25.4 KB

4.The current launcher will be selected like Lawnchair (a custom launcher I installed) is in my screen shot above. Remember the name of the current malware launcher so you can delete it latter. Select "Home", which is the default launcher. That should take you to your regular home screen.

5. Go back into settings, tap the General tap and scroll way down to and tap "Apps". Scroll through the list of apps until you see the name of the bad launcher. Tap its name and then tap uninstall.

Good luck
    Android version 7.0, Android security patch June 1 2017, Software L158V10a

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Shouldn't the original launcher be on the phone's apps list under settings? I guess you've already looked there but trying to open that to see if it can be chosen as the default launcher again it would replace the one you don't want and then the unwanted launcher could be uninstalled.

If you've already tried that, I guess it was a dumb observation on my part.

I had a launcher fail on an older phone and was able to install a new one from Google Play.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app
    Yes, that is the rub....I see the native launcher on my phone as I do on hers..Under that app. There is Home App, no.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Android version 7.0, Android security patch June 1 2017, Software L158V10a
    I don't have an LG phone with Android 7. Try following the Android 7 instructions in the How to Geek article.

Feedback Score
    Yes, that is the rub....I see the native launcher on my phone as I do on hers..Under that app. There is Home App, no.
    What happens if you try to run the native launcher?

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't know what that is but if it is malware or something in that realm maybe installing and running something like Malwarebytes for an on demand scan may provide more info about it if it detects it as such if not remove it entirely ?

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    OK, just got off the phone trying bunch of stuff to no avail See like above.
    I am emailing the developer
    [email protected]
    I did a quick look and it is a little confusing. Wezift says the email home app is available on the Google play store (by the "developer") and that they own Net Nanny 10 (acquired in 2016) which seems legit.

Then there is this site below which directs users to an app (Function) that is on the Google play store which they (wezift) seem to reference with review descriptions:

https://www.emailhomeapp.com/ and this directs to: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mescreen.email

EmailHomeApp.com has instructions about how to remove:

What if I decide Email Home just isn’t for me?

Return to your default home screen by going to Settings - System - Apps. Select Email Home, tap 'Home Screen', and change back to your preferred Home Screen experience! If you have difficulty with the settings menu on your device, you will be able to visit the Email Home on the Play Store, and uninstall directly from our full listing at that location.
    There is a support email here: [email protected]

I'd run Malwarebytes or similar in any case, but that's me.

Added: it seems emailhomeapp.com uses the same logo as the wezift site (same logo as shown in launcher in first post). Emailhomeapp.com directs users to play store's Function app which has a different logo. The Function app does reference emailhomeapp.com on the play store under "read more" so it seems to be the same thing.

Name:  new.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  11.0 KB
    Last edited by tomseys; 03-21-2020 at 04:42 AM. Reason: added info

Feedback Score
    But what's the link to the Email Home app in the Play Store? I can't find it, and the Play Store link at https://www.emailhomeapp.com doesn't go to the Play Store.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    But what's the link to the Email Home app in the Play Store? I can't find it, and the Play Store link at https://www.emailhomeapp.com doesn't go to the Play Store.
    It does it's at the top...click visit play store on right.

Name:  new3.JPG
Views: 14
Size:  22.2 KB

At play store for "Function", click read more and scroll down.. see the email address.

Name:  new2.JPG
Views: 14
Size:  49.0 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Now as for the link from Zift (wezift) to emailhomeapp.com, in addition to them sharing the same exact logo/brand (and same logo on Rebel 3 Email Home app), and zift basically stating that they don't make the 4.4 rated app (has 4.3) on the wezift page since they reference a separate developer, on the function play store page, some of the negative reviews there are (oddly) described on the zift page. Just look at reviews with one star. There are also some solutions posted by that developer of the Function app in some of the responses. Don't know for sure if this will apply to version of whatever is on the LG Rebel 3.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, lappers.

The app at the Play Store link you described is "Function - Easy Email Inbox & Productivity Tools".

Also, a page search for "email home" on the Play Store page reveals no matches.

But it's still worth it for CoyoteChris to go to that "Function - Easy Email Inbox & Productivity Tools" app in the Play Store app on the phone to see if there's a way to uninstall it from there.

EDIT: I see now that you discovered all of this before...I'm just a little slow, lol!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thanks, lappers.

The app at the Play Store link you described is "Function - Easy Email Inbox & Productivity Tools".

Also, a page search for "email home" on the Play Store page reveals no matches.

But it's still worth it for CoyoteChris to go to that "Function - Easy Email Inbox & Productivity Tools" app in the Play Store app on the phone to see if there's a way to uninstall it from there.

EDIT: I see now that you discovered all of this before...I'm just a little slow, lol!

Could also try emailing them at [email protected] ~ maybe they can describe how to uninstall/disable if unable to do through play store.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast