Thread: Dual Sim Question

Feedback Score

Dual Sim Question

So I’m curious if let’s say I have the AT&T prepaid eSim in my phone and I’m using my Visible SIM card. If I chose to keep my long time number on AT&T and use a spare line number on visible as my new number going forward. Is it possible if I am using my Visible at the current moment while the AT&T eSim is in the back ground and that one gets a call even tho not currently using it will I still get calls if someone calls it or only if I switch to AT&T side?

If it won’t work I may just have to set up call forwarding

Feedback Score
    I have an android device. Where I can easily use dual SIM at a time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessio22 View Post
    I have an android device. Where I can easily use dual SIM at a time.
    What are you saying does that mean your phone will still ring from either number regardless?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    So I’m curious if let’s say I have the AT&T prepaid eSim in my phone and I’m using my Visible SIM card. If I chose to keep my long time number on AT&T and use a spare line number on visible as my new number going forward. Is it possible if I am using my Visible at the current moment while the AT&T eSim is in the back ground and that one gets a call even tho not currently using it will I still get calls if someone calls it or only if I switch to AT&T side?

If it won’t work I may just have to set up call forwarding
    It is explained here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

In a different way, here's another explaination:
    iOS 13.x seems to handle this uniquely.

iPhones with Dual SIM are technically Dual SIM Dual Standby, or DSDS. DSDS phones typically, once a call comes in, ignores inactive lines for data or calls.
    Let Primary/P be your Visible line and Secondary/S be your AT&T Prepaid line.
    So if a call comes into P (Visible) then S (AT&T) becomes unreachable, and conversely if a call comes into S (AT&T) then P (Visible) becomes unreachable. During the call iOS would show "No Signal" for the inactive line in Control Center, and incoming calls would forward to the forwarding number designated for unreachable calls (normally voicemail).

How does iOS 13 change this? Through a workaround in WiFi Calling.
    If you have WiFi Calling enabled for a line, that line can receive calls anytime there is an active data connection. This data connection could be WiFi or from the active cellular data line. This would be noted by the WiFi icon or "Carrier using cellular data" in Control Center.

This means for your scenario: your Visible line would preferably be the active cellular data line when WiFi isn't available, and the AT&T line must have WiFi Calling enabled and working. This would also work if both have WiFi Calling enabled, both lines have data plans, and "Cellular Data Switching" is enabled.

Might still be a good idea to enable Conditional Call Forwarding on your AT&T line if missing calls is a big concern. There are still quirks to the iOS setup.
    Another alternative would be to port your "long time" number into a service like Google Voice. Then you can simply have that service forward calls to whatever numbers you need it to.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    It is explained here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

In a different way, here's another explaination:
    iOS 13.x seems to handle this uniquely.

iPhones with Dual SIM are technically Dual SIM Dual Standby, or DSDS. DSDS phones typically, once a call comes in, ignores inactive lines for data or calls.
    Let Primary/P be your Visible line and Secondary/S be your AT&T Prepaid line.
    So if a call comes into P (Visible) then S (AT&T) becomes unreachable, and conversely if a call comes into S (AT&T) then P (Visible) becomes unreachable. During the call iOS would show "No Signal" for the inactive line in Control Center, and incoming calls would forward to the forwarding number designated for unreachable calls (normally voicemail).

How does iOS 13 change this? Through a workaround in WiFi Calling.
    If you have WiFi Calling enabled for a line, that line can receive calls anytime there is an active data connection. This data connection could be WiFi or from the active cellular data line. This would be noted by the WiFi icon or "Carrier using cellular data" in Control Center.

This means for your scenario: your Visible line would preferably be the active cellular data line when WiFi isn't available, and the AT&T line must have WiFi Calling enabled and working. This would also work if both have WiFi Calling enabled, both lines have data plans, and "Cellular Data Switching" is enabled.

Might still be a good idea to enable Conditional Call Forwarding on your AT&T line if missing calls is a big concern. There are still quirks to the iOS setup.
    Another alternative would be to port your "long time" number into a service like Google Voice. Then you can simply have that service forward calls to whatever numbers you need it to.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    Oh ok that makes sense now and thanks

Feedback Score
    Following!this seems like a very interesting thread.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for a good explanation, will be helpful to others.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....