Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Temporary Additional Spectrum

Feedback Score

Temporary Additional Spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    They haven't even deployed LAA here. Gigabit LTE is non-existent, all that talk more than a year ago.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using HoFo mobile app
    You won’t see any AWS-3 now. AT&T is not only using AWS-4 from Dish but I found the I block in Jersey City yesterday . That is paired with the J block on a few sites so they’re running wideband AWS. Verizon didn’t bother to use more spectrum.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    At&t got the better deal from Dish. Sad to see how Verizon isn't taking advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    You won’t see any AWS-3 now. AT&T is not only using AWS-4 from Dish but I found the I block in Jersey City yesterday . That is paired with the J block on a few sites so they’re running wideband AWS. Verizon didn’t bother to use more spectrum.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    At&t got the better deal from Dish. Sad to see how Verizon isn't taking advantage.

Right. Plus Verizon has touted a CBRS deployment since last September yet it's hardly been seen. With their amount of small cells and having pretty much exclusive use of it at this time, they could have quite a bit of added capacity in areas that need it right now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    In the past few days I’ve noticed that Dish’s Block I is no longer being used here. I doubt the extra 5 MHz made much of a difference anyways - it was only being used for carrier aggregation.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    In the past few days I’ve noticed that Dish’s Block I is no longer being used here. I doubt the extra 5 MHz made much of a difference anyways - it was only being used for carrier aggregation.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk
    I'll check when I go back to work on Monday. Where I am dish has 10x10+5x5

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Yup. It's gone here too.

Feedback Score
    However, Verizon CEO Hans Vestberg said in the company’s recent first quarter earnings call with investors that Verizon has not yet needed to use any of the temporary AWS-3 spectrum licenses because it has been able to manage the extra usage on the network without them. Vestberg called those licenses an “insurance” in case the company couldn’t keep up with the extra constraints on the network.

So much for Verizon not using those licenses huh ?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    However, Verizon CEO Hans Vestberg said in the company’s recent first quarter earnings call with investors that Verizon has not yet needed to use any of the temporary AWS-3 spectrum licenses because it has been able to manage the extra usage on the network without them. Vestberg called those licenses an “insurance” in case the company couldn’t keep up with the extra constraints on the network.

So much for Verizon not using those licenses huh ?
    Well then it definitely appears the CEO’s statement wasn’t exactly accurate. I do realize that overall Verizon does a very good job managing spectrum but I don’t know why the continually say they are just fine with what they have.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Well then it definitely appears the CEO’s statement wasn’t exactly accurate. I do realize that overall Verizon does a very good job managing spectrum but I don’t know why the continually say they are just fine with what they have.
    Let’s see how they do not having access to any more mid band until end of 2021

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Let’s see how they do not having access to any more mid band until end of 2021
    Yup. Wireless data use has had tremendous growth over the last few years and will only continue to grow. They can’t keep up for long. If I had a guess I can imagine they will go after between 20-40 MHz of CBRS and use it to augment LTE and they will go after 100 MHz or more of c-Band and use it all for 5G. Although I would imagine they will publicly deny the need for more spectrum until the auction results come back.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Yup. Wireless data use has had tremendous growth over the last few years and will only continue to grow. They can’t keep up for long. If I had a guess I can imagine they will go after between 20-40 MHz of CBRS and use it to augment LTE and they will go after 100 MHz or more of c-Band and use it all for 5G. Although I would imagine they will publicly deny the need for more spectrum until the auction results come back.

It’s the timing that concerns me. Sure they’re deploying CBRS but I haven’t seen it on a wide scale. Between that and C band they’re in a bit of a fix. T-Mobile has 2.5 and is deploying fast.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It’s the timing that concerns me. Sure they’re deploying CBRS but I haven’t seen it on a wide scale. Between that and C band they’re in a bit of a fix. T-Mobile has 2.5 and is deploying fast.
    Do you have any idea on the range of the PAL/licensed CBRS spectrum. I saw the unlicensed spectrum can go about a mile. I imagine the licensed spectrum will have different power specs and can travel a lot further. I’m guessing just short of the band 41 range.

In a rural setting it may not help a ton but in a more metro setting they could easily blanket coverage with that. As it’s my understanding that metro towers are turned way down power/transmission wise cause they focus on capacity more than coverage.

Feedback Score

Temporary Additional Spectrum

Do you have any idea on the range of the PAL/licensed CBRS spectrum. I saw the unlicensed spectrum can go about a mile. I imagine the licensed spectrum will have different power specs and can travel a lot further. I’m guessing just short of the band 41 range.

In a rural setting it may not help a ton but in a more metro setting they could easily blanket coverage with that. As it’s my understanding that metro towers are turned way down power/transmission wise cause they focus on capacity more than coverage.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...d-cbrs-auction

This article explains a lot on how CBRS will behave in terms of range. 10mm has found CBRS to travel a mile which is quite impressive. Perhaps in markets away from where the navy has priority they can blast the range a bit more. Are you seeing any CBRS sites in Pittsburgh ?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...d-cbrs-auction

This article explains a lot on how CBRS will behave in terms of range. 10mm has found CBRS to travel a mile which is quite impressive. Perhaps in markets away from where the navy has priority they can blast the range a bit more. Are you seeing any CBRS sites in Pittsburgh ?
    A mile Is pretty impressive for the unlicensed portion. I was figuring the licensed portion may go around 2-2.5 miles but that was just kind of a guess. And I do not have a CBRS capable phone to test and see if verizon has any active CBRS in Pittsburgh but I have seen several macro sites with the small square antenna that I’m assuming is CBRS as well as a handful the black small cells that have they gray panels built in.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Here is one of many Verizon sites around the city that has the small gray panel. Do any other carriers use that panel. They are on multiple sites through the city.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast