Thread: Why would a phone be compatible with Tracfone but not PagePlus?

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score

Why would a phone be compatible with Tracfone but not PagePlus?

I have an LG model LGL44VL which was previously used on Tracfone. I plugged the IMEI into the checker on the PagePlus website and get: Unfortunately your phone is not compatible with the upcoming Page Plus VoLTE network.

So I guess it doesn't support VoLTE. Still, I am able to activate it on Tracfone, at least according to the website. I always thought that if it was good on one, it is good on the other.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I have an LG model LGL44VL which was previously used on Tracfone. I plugged the IMEI into the checker on the PagePlus website and get: Unfortunately your phone is not compatible with the upcoming Page Plus VoLTE network.

So I guess it doesn't support VoLTE. Still, I am able to activate it on Tracfone, at least according to the website. I always thought that if it was good on one, it is good on the other.
    That's interesting. It seems like America Movil / TracFone is always doing something to "break" things.

When you checked TF, did you check the phone's IMEI at https://www.tracfone.com/activation/byopcollectesn/VZW ? If no, what result does that return?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    My mistake. The previous owner was using it on TF until recently, and he upgraded his phone and gave me this one. I assumed it was 4G. When I went to check the IMEI on the TF website it is in fact not compatible any more. So it's another case of the carrier maintaining a 3G phone as long as the owner is paying, but it can't be activated with a new number.

Feedback Score
    I think your phone may be 4G but not VoLTE. Note that being 4G does not mean a phone is also VoLTE capable. There are different versions of it. The first phone I tried for my change over to VoLTE was the K4 Verizon Post Paid version of that phone. My pre buy research showed that only the Verizon post paid version (VS425) was compatible (had HD voice/VoLTE). It activated fine on PP.
    Tracfone and other MVNO versions I believe were the Optimus Zone 3 and Rebel. The Verizon K4 Prepaid version was VS425PP. None of those has VoLTE.
    I dumped my K4 for a Moto E4 (which I love). The K4 was kinda flaky connection wise, bad camera, and had bad reviews but I was drawn to it's 4.5" foot print.
    I don't think you would have liked it anyway.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I think your phone may be 4G but not VoLTE. Note that being 4G does not mean a phone is also VoLTE capable.
    This is exactly what I learned from a chat session with a PagePlus agent. Since I am under a shelter-in-place order at 8:00PM and my wife and I are tired of playing Scrabble, I thought I would just see what they say. Here's a section of the transcript:

agent : Our system shows that this is a 4G phone, but it is not VoLTE (HD voice) capable.
    agent : The phone will work, but you will have to replace it soon since the old 4G phone models will no longer work with our service.

Of course he can't say how long it will work because nobody really knows.

Feedback Score
    Of course he can't say how long it will work because nobody really knows.

At this point the final cut off is end of this year (December 2020). I say final because some areas will see service reducing between now and then. They've been telling people to get new phones for a year or more now since the original date was end of 2019. Any new TF/Vzw sold now (or TF family of carriers) is compliant and usable on PP right out of the box as long as it's a Vzw model.
    I'm assuming, since you wonder how long it will work, that your phone is already active since you can't even activate it anymore even with TF. Just get a new one now and don't worry about the when and how long.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just get a new one now and don't worry about the when and how long.
    Upgrading will also get you HD Voice and Visual Voicemail. Friend of mine lost HD Voice (VoLTE) on Verizon and the call quality was terrible. Huge difference when it was restored.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I am not using this phone. I've had my trusty Moto E4 for a few years now and I see no reason to change. I was going to give it to a friend, but really it's not worth it. He's better off shelling out twenty bucks for a MyFlip that will be good for a few years at least.

Feedback Score
    I am not using this phone. I've had my trusty Moto E4 for a few years now and I see no reason to change. I was going to give it to a friend, but really it's not worth it. He's better off shelling out twenty bucks for a MyFlip that will be good for a few years at least.
    If you have an E4 you're covered much much better then you would have been with the phone you originally asked about. The E4 is a great phone. You have VoLTE and VVM with PP on that. It'll also be good for years to come. May not get an OS upgrade from where it's at but needing constant OS upgrades is over rated IMHO.