Thread: Two phone hotspot?

Feedback Score

Two phone hotspot?

If someone were to get two phones, could one of the sim card work in some sort of hotspot so more than one device can connect to it? Has anyone tried it?
    Get the best in Fitness Training with Fitness Professionals!
    www.TopFitnessStrategies.com

Feedback Score
    Do you mean to share your hotspot connection with others phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotex21 View Post
    If someone were to get two phones, could one of the sim card work in some sort of hotspot so more than one device can connect to it? Has anyone tried it?
    this youtube video shows the hotspot device not working, but from the comments below say that you need to edit the APN settings and it should work - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MiERd1bUqw

Feedback Score
    Thanks! That video is almost two years old. I'm sure there are more updated ones. I'll look. Thanks for the idea!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessio22 View Post
    Do you mean to share your hotspot connection with others phone?
    No. One phone giving wifi to multiple other units. (PD, Laptop, tablet, etc).

Feedback Score
    No. One phone giving wifi to multiple other units. (PD, Laptop, tablet, etc).
    Yes, that is the way a phone running a hotspot works. The phone hotspot puts out Wifi that other devices can connect to just like a cable Wifi router. The device connecting to the phone hotspot does not need to have any kind of cell service plan.

Cellphone hotspots frequently have a very limited number of devices they will allow to connect simultaneously, like 5-8.

Cellphone hotspots generally have less Wifi range and other features of a broadband Wifi router.

Feedback Score
    Great! So, I can take that sim and put it into some sort of device with stronger antenna and use that device as a hotspot?

Feedback Score
    Great! So, I can take that sim and put it into some sort of device with stronger antenna and use that device as a hotspot?
    It's not that simple. Cell service plans for a SIM come with Terms of Service that frequently don't allow that, if it works at all.

If you stick with a phone as a hotspot, you can set up a Wifi router as a repeater bridge to extend the Wifi range and number of devices that can connect.

When a cell device connects to the network they can tell what kind of device the SIM is in by the device serial number (IMEI).

If you are looking for the Holy Grail of wireless Internet for large volumes of data for cheap, it pretty much does not exist yet.

There is a website for the RV community that keeps track of what is currently currently available. I don't know the URL. Maybe someone will post it.

Device(s)
    Moto X4 & G7; Pixel 3a & 4xl; Nexus 5x; IPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    How did you assume that from the answer you were given? I don’t know if it’s technically possible but most users who have tried said they were not successful.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I am temporarily using an iPhone SE hotspot feature using Sprint that is currently providing Wifi internet to my desktop computer, 2 tablets and my smart TV at the same time. I started to have my connection speed deprioritized after reaching 20 GB of data to 2G data speeds but surprisingly it still works with some minor buffering issues on the TV. Sadly, my cellular data speeds are normally much faster than my home Wifi.

My home Wifi is currently out of service until Monday and fortunately this option temporarily helped me out.

This may not work with all cellular networks/carriers or devices.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure where I read it, but I thought with this Visible plan, it would only allow ONE device to connect to the phone's hotspot. I could be wrong as I've been reading about a lot of different plans and could be getting them mixed up.

I've also been reading different reports about speeds being throttled (or whatever the term is) to 5mps, but others have said that Visible has done away with that and the speeds are not throttled. I guess I won't know until I try it, eh?

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure where I read it, but I thought with this Visible plan, it would only allow ONE device to connect to the phone's hotspot. I could be wrong as I've been reading about a lot of different plans and could be getting them mixed up.

I've also been reading different reports about speeds being throttled (or whatever the term is) to 5mps, but others have said that Visible has done away with that and the speeds are not throttled. I guess I won't know until I try it, eh?
    https://www.visible.com/plan

"+Mobile hotspot speeds capped at 5 Mbps and limited to one tethered device at a time."

"*In times of traffic, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic."

I don't know how they limit it to one device at a time. Maybe a repeater bridge would get around that.

5 Mbps is ok for web browsing for a few people. It is enough for one to stream video.